Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #16
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackvans1234 View Post
How does that make you feel?
While it will never heal the pain that the loss of his grandson caused, the felon won't be able to immediately go out and repeat the act. That much, I feel good about. I lost a very good friend to a DD years ago, and if that DD had been in prison due to a prior conviction, then maybe Mark would still be alive.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #17
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackvans1234 View Post
How does that make you feel?
I was very surprised, afik, it was the stiffest sentence anyone has ever received in my state

I do not believe that killing someone in a DWI accident reaches the definition of murder, I do not believe the intent to harm is there, a charge of manslaughter, or a lesser charge of negligent homicide, is more fitting
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #18
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,610
We have graduated licensing in Germany, it works fine. Maybe Quebec has screwed it up (like most other things they do)?
Old 03-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #19
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhaleyscomet View Post
Actually,

If someone has a texting or drinking problem or runs from the law we should encourage them to drive far less (i.e. low speed vehicle) by perhaps moving closing to work or ?????

I am all for giving folks all the opportunity we can. But once they demonstrate a weakness for alcohol or distracted driving OR a weakness for avoiding responsible behavior then they should no longer have the privelage to drive a huge Suburban or other (as defined by NHTSA) "aggressive" vehicles.
Texting has proven to be just about as dangerous as drunk driving,and just as addicting for some it seems.
Those electronic devices have taken over people's lives.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #20
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
I was very surprised, afik, it was the stiffest sentence anyone has ever received in my state

I do not believe that killing someone in a DWI accident reaches the definition of murder, I do not believe the intent to harm is there, a charge of manslaughter, or a lesser charge of negligent homicide, is more fitting
I dunno bout that one,the drinker makes a choice at some point,its a known fact drinking and driving kills,yet he/she drinks and drives.

Nobody forced him or her,and he kills someone through his actions.
If there's no stiff sentence that is life changing then dont bother.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:17 PM   #21
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
We have graduated licensing in Germany, it works fine. Maybe Quebec has screwed it up (like most other things they do)?
As a Canadian let me say that Quebec is great! Unlike most other comedy acts or venues, there is no cover charge for the hours of entertainment, laughs and chuckles those crazy Habs fan give the rest of us in our frozen northern land.

Mayor Rib Ford of Toronto is a distant second for pure hilarity.

And almost as pathetically sad....................

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:38 PM   #22
shakeybone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Texting has proven to be just about as dangerous as drunk driving,and just as addicting for some it seems.
I had to take a rectification class last night for my real estate license and texting has become so much of a problem that the NH Real Estate commission has banned devices from the class room and they have "plants" that sit in on the classes to see if anyone is violating the rule. If you are caught you don't pass. We are talking about adults not teens that cant stop texting for 3 hours!
shakeybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #23
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Agreed. As an observation, it seems like some people are texting every stinkin' time they get behind the wheel. At least drunks are sober sometimes.

There are days that I believe the solution is loss of license for several years with driving after revocation being a mandatory jail sentence doing road maintenance. Kill or maim someone, never drive again. And no welfare payments. Nada. Get a job that they can walk or bicycle to. It may mean moving to places they don't want to live to work at a job they don't want to do...too damn bad. It may be a pain to live without a vehicle, but it sure isn't impossible. People do it all the time. I don't really care if their lives are less than fulfilling.

They make the choice.

DaLunk screwed with this post 03-19-2014 at 02:20 PM
DaLunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #24
mamm
< advertise here! >

Oddometer: 214
My humbly-proposed solution for dealing with drunk/texting drivers: shoot on sight. Acting this way, maybe (just maybe) we'll have the problem solved in two or three generations.

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.
mamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #25
Tinker1980
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLunk View Post
Agreed. As an observation, it seems like some people are texting every stinkin' time they get behind the wheel. At least drunks are sober sometimes.

There are days that I believe the solution is loss of license for several years with driving after revocation being a mandatory jail sentence doing road maintenance. Kill or maim someone, never drive again. And no welfare payments. Nada. Get a job that they can walk or bicycle to. It may mean moving to places they don't want to live to work at a job they don't want to do...too damn bad. If may be a pain to live without a vehicle, but it sure isn't impossible. People do it all the time. I don't really care if their lives are less than fulfilling.

They make the choice.
This. Worried about not being able to get to work? Well how do you think the family of the man/woman/child you killed feels about supporting themselves? How are their lives fulfilled?
Tinker1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:11 AM   #26
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
Just get busted for DUI but didn't hurt anyone.... Get a chance at rehab, automatically lose your license for 5 years. Injure someone, never allowed to drive again. Kill someone, you should hang. You killed someone, through criminal negligence. That's MURDER no matter how you look at it.

The problem is that people simply don't change, or learn from their mistakes. My brother is dating a girl who apparently got a DUI a few years ago, before he met her. Well she still doesn't have a job, is 27 and thinks she's still in college, and drives f'ing wasted every weekend. It's just a matter of time. But she thinks everything is fine and gets super defensive if you offer to drive her home.

It is possible to drink recreationally or socially in a responsible manner. Either limit yourself to 1 or 2 drinks (for some reason this is a difficult concept for some) or drink as much as you want and take a damn cab!

Common sense, integrity, and personal responsibility are gone forever in this country.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:17 AM   #27
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,125
You can have the heaviest penalties possible, but if societies attitudes are wrong, and the chance of detection small then it'll make zip all difference. The priority has to be to stop drink driving in the first place.

What I'm referring to has taken place in Australia in my lifetime. From a boozy culture it is now totally 'uncool' to drink and drive, and the possibility of being caught if you regularly drink drive is very high. The introduction of random breath testing in the mid 1980's has had a profound affect on Australian societies attitude and behavior. If I was to go out driving in Sydney after say 10 p.m. on a Friday or Saturday night I would expect to have a 50:50 chance of being stopped by a breath test checkpoint. I was last stopped and checked about a week ago on a week day about 11am.

Random breath testing would have overwhelming support (95+%) of the Australian population. The 5% opposed would be the problem drinkers. It has made a massive difference. And before anyone starts on 'individual freedoms' we view the freedom to travel on a public road free from dangerous drunks far higher. The small inconvenience of a 30 seconds delay and being asked to count to ten near a hand held device is a very small price to pay.

JohnCW screwed with this post 03-20-2014 at 01:23 AM
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:42 AM   #28
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
You can have the heaviest penalties possible, but if societies attitudes are wrong, and the chance of detection small then it'll make zip all difference. The priority has to be to stop drink driving in the first place.

What I'm referring to has taken place in Australia in my lifetime. From a boozy culture it is now totally 'uncool' to drink and drive, and the possibility of being caught if you regularly drink drive is very high. The introduction of random breath testing in the mid 1980's has had a profound affect on Australian societies attitude and behavior. If I was to go out driving in Sydney after say 10 p.m. on a Friday or Saturday night I would expect to have a 50:50 chance of being stopped by a breath test checkpoint. I was last stopped and checked about a week ago on a week day about 11am.

Random breath testing would have overwhelming support (95+%) of the Australian population. The 5% opposed would be the problem drinkers. It has made a massive difference. And before anyone starts on 'individual freedoms' we view the freedom to travel on a public road free from dangerous drunks far higher. The small inconvenience of a 30 seconds delay and being asked to count to ten near a hand held device is a very small price to pay.
I agree. For drunk drivers it does not matter if you threaten to hang them, if there's no real risk of getting caught.

And social attitude towards drinking&driving is profound as well. In my country, it is still seen as 'the norm' in many rural areas. More than 1 out of 4 of those killed in traffic accidents are killed by drunk drivers here.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:50 AM   #29
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague View Post
As a Canadian let me say that Quebec is great! Unlike most other comedy acts or venues, there is no cover charge for the hours of entertainment, laughs and chuckles those crazy Habs fan give the rest of us in our frozen northern land.

Mayor Rib Ford of Toronto is a distant second for pure hilarity.

And almost as pathetically sad....................
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:11 AM   #30
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
I live in a rural area with crap public transportation.

When I was younger and dumber I got a DUI while sleeping it off in my car. In PA you can get DUI if your keys are in the vehicle that is considered in control of the vehicle. Mine were in my pocket.

At any rate I lost my license for a while and it sucked. I paid a lot of money and did everything. Fortunately I had a supportive family and they helped drive me to work and school.

I had to take classes with all these other people and most of them drove without licenses. In my area you can't live without driving. The closest store is 5 miles away and most people work at least 30 minutes drive from their house.

I do believe that the state should have a DUI moped rental agreement with some local shops. They can rent DUI orange scooters and the offender can only drive the little obvious scooter while they don't have a license.

It would keep their potential damage to a minimum, make them obvious to law enforcement, and be a source of shame and stigma which would be good.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote