Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2014, 07:29 AM   #31
jimhaleyscomet OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzoso View Post
I live in a rural area with crap public transportation.

When I was younger and dumber I got a DUI while sleeping it off in my car. In PA you can get DUI if your keys are in the vehicle that is considered in control of the vehicle. Mine were in my pocket.

At any rate I lost my license for a while and it sucked. I paid a lot of money and did everything. Fortunately I had a supportive family and they helped drive me to work and school.

I had to take classes with all these other people and most of them drove without licenses. In my area you can't live without driving. The closest store is 5 miles away and most people work at least 30 minutes drive from their house.

I do believe that the state should have a DUI moped rental agreement with some local shops. They can rent DUI orange scooters and the offender can only drive the little obvious scooter while they don't have a license.

It would keep their potential damage to a minimum, make them obvious to law enforcement, and be a source of shame and stigma which would be good.
My original post and idea is all about making the streets safer from DUI's, distracted drivers, hit and run drivers, and those unable to "see" motorcycles, cyclists, and pedestrians. I am not so interested in "punishing" offenders as I am interested in providing a way for them to drive without endangering us. While existing laws are helping to reduce DUI, existing laws and bans don't work well enough. That is why I suggested the light / low speed vehicles. It get's people to work and whatever while exposing the rest of us road users to much less danger.

As for higher fines, this does not impact the most irresponsible. Those that have high assets or those whose parents bail them out of trouble just pay them and go on. As for driving bans, they help but not for the worst offenders who drive anyway. Provide a way for the worst offenders to get around (without endangering the rest of us) and perhaps fewer offenders will see the need to ignore bans.
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:36 AM   #32
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhaleyscomet View Post
Am I nuts or is this something AARP, the AMA, and MADD (among others) should pursue?
Yes, you are nuts. Happy? AARP? Have you any idea what TF you are talking about? The AARP is nothing but distracted drivers.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #33
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Rider View Post
My state is gradually toughening the DUI penalties.

They should make the penalties so draconian that even the sloppiest drunks and biggest partiers take notice. A drunk will remember that a second DUI will earn them a year in prison. They can't quit drinking, but they won't drive. A partier will face that year and either always use a designated driver or take a cab.

The penalties for injuring or killing someone while driving drunk/stoned/texting should be the same as intentional assault or second degree murder. They intentionally drunk or smoked or text'd, so make it assault or murder.
This^^^ my brother was killed by a drunk driver days after his 26th birthday. The killer got less than a year in county jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
the drunk that killed my grandson got 35 years for manslaughter
Should be a minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackvans1234 View Post
How does that make you feel?
Nothing can replace a grandson, brother or son. But knowing the motherfucker RESPONSIBLE won't be breathing free air for many years? It wouldn't hurt.
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #34
Robert_W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Coming from some one that did more than his fair share of stupid shit in his youth...if you drive drunk and kill some one...you to should also forfeit your life. (This rule should be applied to many situations but that's another thread.) It sure would take care of the recidivism rate.

Even with the most severe penalties there will still be those that do. How ever paying with your life is about as strong a deterrent as one can get.

Bullets are cheap. Prison expensive.
www.kroutfitters.com
Robert_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:35 AM   #35
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,256
Quote:
the drunk that killed my grandson got 35 years for manslaughter
That's a tough thing. My condolences.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:35 AM   #36
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W View Post
Coming from some one that did more than his fair share of stupid shit in his youth...if you drive drunk and kill some one...you to should also forfeit your life. (This rule should be applied to many situations but that's another thread.) It sure would take care of the recidivism rate.

Even with the most severe penalties there will still be those that do. How ever paying with your life is about as strong a deterrent as one can get.

Bullets are cheap. Prison expensive.
Won't help at all, because everyone (especially when drunk) has the mindset of "Won't happen to me!".

The problem in this country is it's a driving culture. Except for a few major cities, public transportation is terrible and usually shuts down right around the time the bars do as well. Why do bars even have parking lots?

I've seen a couple taxi services that either send out two drivers, or have a guy on a foldable scooter thing trolling around the bar district that will take you AND your car home.

Just hope you're not so plastered that you're still drunk at 8:30 in the morning when trying to get to work.

Now, not to defend drunk driving, but i AM curious as to how many 'drunk driving accidents' would have been accidents whether alcohol was involved or not? Case in point: I have a buddy who got nabbed on a DUI because he had a few beers and got T-boned by someone running a red light while he was turning left on a green arrow. And it wasn't like he was plastered or anything, blew just over the limit

Then there are the cases such as a previous poster mentioned of people getting DUI's while sleeping in their car, which in the end only encourages DD. Chance of getting caught sleeping in your car is high, so might as well take the chance and drive home, right? Then there's the absolute silliness such as DUI while on a bicycle/horse.

Although the enforcement has gotten a lot better in the past 20 years due to public outcry, it's been at least partially perverted into a revenue generation scheme for the courts and police.

There is no perfect solution I suppose, other than self-driving google cars. It'd be nice if more bars here had the wall mounted, quarter operated breath analyzers, with plenty of taxi service ad's all over them.
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #37
wecsoger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Oh, boy. Now for something from someone who's been on the other side of the badge.

There are some that learn from their first DUI. Good for them, sorry you screwed up but please don't do that again and we're all good.

Then there are a group of people who will *never* stop driving. Multiple DUI's? Phffft. Pretty much a permanent DUS, driving under suspension. Big deal. Tow their car. Tow their buddy's car. Tow their family's car. Take 'em to jail where they may get released O.R., because the jail is full and they didn't fight you. Or they spend couple o' days till court.

And when they do some real jail time and get out, a week or two later, there.
they.
go.
driving.
again.

So yeah. Our system (U.S.) is screwed up. Initial offenders* do get a reasonable hammering, but repeat offenders need a heckuva lot more intervention than they're getting. Their issue more requires treatment for alcohol dependance than just warehousing.

*assuming you do actually get a DUI. I know multiple folk (district judge, airline pilot, amongst others) able to get plea bargained to reckless ops. I got no problem with that since they did not do property damage or kill anyone so I *hope* they won't re-offend.

Add'tl gripe. Popping a DUI for someone sleeping it off in a car (assuming it's safely parked) is complete c.s. or barnyard fowl excrement. Gotta be really desperate for a citation, or work for a crappy department to have to go to that length. Give someone a choice of driving and getting a DUI, walking and getting a public intox. or popping them for sleeping in a car? Again, bs. Some places (won't name names) would actually give someone a ride home just so they wouldn't be sleeping the night in a bar parking lot.

Thanks for letting me whine. Y'all may return to the usual bickering. (grin)
wecsoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #38
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecsoger View Post
Oh, boy. Now for something from someone who's been on the other side of the badge.

There are some that learn from their first DUI. Good for them, sorry you screwed up but please don't do that again and we're all good.

Then there are a group of people who will *never* stop driving. Multiple DUI's? Phffft. Pretty much a permanent DUS, driving under suspension. Big deal. Tow their car. Tow their buddy's car. Tow their family's car. Take 'em to jail where they may get released O.R., because the jail is full and they didn't fight you. Or they spend couple o' days till court.

And when they do some real jail time and get out, a week or two later, there.
they.
go.
driving.
again.

So yeah. Our system (U.S.) is screwed up. Initial offenders* do get a reasonable hammering, but repeat offenders need a heckuva lot more intervention than they're getting. Their issue more requires treatment for alcohol dependence than just warehousing.

*assuming you do actually get a DUI. I know multiple folk (district judge, airline pilot, amongst others) able to get plea bargained to reckless ops. I got no problem with that since they did not do property damage or kill anyone so I *hope* they won't re-offend.

Add'tl gripe. Popping a DUI for someone sleeping it off in a car (assuming it's safely parked) is complete c.s. or barnyard fowl excrement. Gotta be really desperate for a citation, or work for a crappy department to have to go to that length. Give someone a choice of driving and getting a DUI, walking and getting a public intox. or popping them for sleeping in a car? Again, bs. Some places (won't name names) would actually give someone a ride home just so they wouldn't be sleeping the night in a bar parking lot.

Thanks for letting me whine. Y'all may return to the usual bickering. (grin)
Glad you're out there. I agree with a little common sense, the guy sleeping it off should be given a ride home the guy involved in a fender bender and blowing a tenth over the limit should get a ride to jail and a place to sleep for a couple days... The guy who kills another human or gets popped for repeat offenses ought to be in jail for years.

I can't imagine the situation improving. Personal responsibility is so yesterday, and now in state after state another intoxicant is being introduced. We had to let a kid go a couple weeks ago because his random came back hot for THC. "But," he says, "I have a medical card, and besides, it's legal now!"

How will we deal with increasing numbers of people driving under that influence?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #39
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
Glad you're out there. I agree with a little common sense, the guy sleeping it off should be given a ride home the guy involved in a fender bender and blowing a tenth over the limit should get a ride to jail and a place to sleep for a couple days... The guy who kills another human or gets popped for repeat offenses ought to be in jail for years.

I can't imagine the situation improving. Personal responsibility is so yesterday, and now in state after state another intoxicant is being introduced. We had to let a kid go a couple weeks ago because his random came back hot for THC. "But," he says, "I have a medical card, and besides, it's legal now!"

How will we deal with increasing numbers of people driving under that influence?
I doubt it will increase all that much, truthfully. We'd need to ask a few cops aobut their opinions on drunk drivers vs weed-high drivers. I'd be willing to bet they're easy to tell apart and one is a lot more dangerous than the other.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #40
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,006
If a Jedi catches you driving drunk / distracted they should cut off one of your hands with a lightsaber.

CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #41
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecsoger View Post

Then there are a group of people who will *never* stop driving. Multiple DUI's? Phffft. Pretty much a permanent DUS, driving under suspension.
that's was the guy that killed my grandson, 8 DWI convictions total in several states, under revocation in MA, valid license here in NH only cause he was insured on his wifes policy to drive here car, no insurance liability coverage on the vehicle he was driving

ran over my grandson and his 2 cousins(other side of family) while they were playing in the yard nearly 200 feet from the road, instead of going around a corner, he just drove straight across the lawn

the case made national attention, and a year later was a lead in story in a Readers Digest article

Coincidentally, his lawyer was one of his brothers, was killed in a DWI accident while he was on trial, and being such a small world, several of his family members have been clients of mine

Unlike many of my family members, I did not begrudge him a fair trial, I still very much believe in innocent until proven guilty

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
I can't imagine the situation improving. Personal responsibility is so yesterday,

The situation has improved a lot thru education, back in the 60's alcohol related road fatalities were 1 in 2 of 50%, not only has the total number of fatalities dropped while we are driving millions upon millions of more miles and now alcohol related fatalties are only 1 in 3

the total number of alcohol related road fatalities has dropped from over 25,000 annually to just over 10,000 here in the US
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #42
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Quote:

The situation has improved a lot thru education, back in the 60's alcohol related road fatalities were 1 in 2 of 50%, not only has the total number of fatalities dropped while we are driving millions upon millions of more miles and now alcohol related fatalties are only 1 in 3

the total number of alcohol related road fatalities has dropped from over 25,000 annually to just over 10,000 here in the US
The situation has also improved a lot through car safety being worlds ahead of what it was in the 60's.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #43
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,728
Has anyone else noticed that #2 and #4 in the original list treat the accused as guilty until proven innocent? Certainly more effective penalties are in order, but this goes way too far.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #44
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Has anyone else noticed that #2 and #4 in the original list treat the accused as guilty until proven innocent? Certainly more effective penalties are in order, but this goes way too far.
yes I did notice, hence the inclusion of this in my last post

Quote:
Unlike many of my family members, I did not begrudge him a fair trial, I still very much believe in innocent until proven guilty
fail trial is too valuable a right to give up
99 SV650
82 XV920R
Old 03-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #45
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post
The situation has also improved a lot through car safety being worlds ahead of what it was in the 60's.

yes, fatalities as a whole have gone down due to automobile safety, but alcohol related fatalites has dropped hat a higher rate than the total number, by far

even from 1982

http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-dr...tics-2010.html
99 SV650
82 XV920R