ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
gregkzoo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
free camping between Moab and Blanding?

any good free camping between Moab and Blanding??
gregkzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkzoo View Post
any good free camping between Moab and Blanding??
yes. almost an unlimited amount.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
[QUOTE=VxZeroKnots;23731501]yes. almost an unlimited amount.[/QUOTE

Agreed, but it might be a good idea you get it done between Monticello and Moab. It gets pretty thin between Monticello and Blanding...private property and such.

It might help if you describe some of your itinerary and locations for your intended rides. Also what kind of camping...need to get a travel trailer in there or just tenting? That's a decent amount of territory between Moab and Blanding.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #4
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,208
How far off 191 are you prepared to go? Closer to Moab or Blanding? So many awesome places depending on the details.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:17 PM   #5
gregkzoo OP
Adventurer

probably closer to Moab than Blanding. Were on street bikes, dirt roads are no problem, sand would suck though. Were tent camping, just one night on our way to Big Sur. It would be nice to have a campfire, but not required.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:12 AM   #6
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,408
Head over towards Needles district of Canyonlands. It's about 20 miles off 191. A lot warmer and much more scenic.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #7
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Oddometer: 1,491
Head south of Moab ~13 miles to "Behind the Rocks" Road It's at the top of the hill leading out from Moab. If you hit the rest area, you've gone too far.

Turn off will be on your right. Cut/paste into Google maps 38.421654,-109.43294

You can take the bikes back in, it's relatively big bike friendly.

I like to camp around "Prostitute Butte" (yes, its real name) very scenic

38.436413,-109.50332

If you want a fire, you'll need to pick up wood in Moab. This is high desert and there is nothing to burn.
Certified SAE J1287 sound tester
Rodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
Boricua
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Check this site: http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/...an_i_camp.html

Heading in that direction late May. Planning on camping in hatch point.
Boricua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
Boricua
Gnarly Adventurer

Seems like BLM wants everyone to carry one of these

Boricua screwed with this post 03-21-2014 at 10:09 AM
Old 03-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #10
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Seems like BLM wants everyone to carry one of these.
I hate more regulations maybe more than most, but I backcountry/primitive camp nearly all the time out west, and I reluctantly have to support the portapotty/human waste deal. It seems so many campers out there crap just about everywhere...even just a few feet from established sites and seem to make no effort to dig a hole, cover it up, or use some common sense in how and where they crap. I can understand people camping off dirt bikes not having portapotties, but they're usually the ones who use some logic and proper method for taking a crap in the woods. If not camping off a bike, I can't really understand why someone camping wouldn't want to have a chemical crapper. The things have gotten so easy to use, they're airtight, and they're easy to dump in a forest or BLM pit toiler or otherwise. The chemical in them now is biodegradeable and not toxic, so it's fine for pit toilets.

There's nothing like sitting on the portable throne in your tent, camper, or van with a good dirt bike magazine.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #11
gregkzoo OP
Adventurer

this is what I was afraid of. I agree, chemi toilets in the moab area are a must, but I cant carry one for a 1 night stay!! I was hoping this only applied to the moab area, hence my reason to push further south. Im on a strict 30 day budget and a hotel in moab will be a serious hit. Also I do have a hatchet/shovel with me to comply with cali regs.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:34 PM   #12
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,649
My understanding is that solid waste packing is only required in the marked areas and in designated camp sites in the Moab area. If not that i'm a cat hole diggin law breaker.

I just don't see how it would otherwise work in backcountry areas, especially for foot travel.

This discussion has prompted me to look into a chem toilet for car camping, anything beats a groover.

OP, check out Hamburger rock campground. It is a short dirt ride on Lockhart Basin Rd off hwy 211, it has pit toilets and is super scenic. It is way more crowded than it used to be (when I was a kid) but depending on timing you'll likely get a spot.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
My understanding is that solid waste packing is only required in the marked areas and in designated camp sites in the Moab area. If not that i'm a cat hole diggin law breaker.

I just don't see how it would otherwise work in backcountry areas, especially for foot travel.

This discussion has prompted me to look into a chem toilet for car camping, anything beats a groover.

OP, check out Hamburger rock campground. It is a short dirt ride on Lockhart Basin Rd off hwy 211, it has pit toilets and is super scenic. It is way more crowded than it used to be (when I was a kid) but depending on timing you'll likely get a spot.
OK Vx...don't take this as weird, but I'd suggest something specific in the portapotty arena. Get a Thetford. Generally I'd say they make the best, toughest, most reliable potties out there. Another thing...do yourself a favor and get one like the 550. It's taller for more comfortable seat height, has a bigger opening more like your home toilet, and has great capacity so you're not constantly having to dump it. I have an old 350 series from the late 80's that still works perfectly, but as my bones have gotten older I didn't like the short profile and smaller opening. And please...no smartass remarks about having a fat ass or being an old man who can't hit the hole. I just like a little more comfort and convenience in my golden years.

Seriously...portapotties are awesome devices. Squatting over a groove with the wind whistling between your legs gets old fast.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:11 AM   #14
Boricua
Gnarly Adventurer

I see my original link to amazon was removed. This product looks interesting. Its folds small enough to carry in a bike.

https://www.relianceproducts.com/pro...ation/224.html
Old 03-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #15
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,964
I'd much rather dig a hole but from the disgusting state of primitive camping areas, apparently people still haven't learned the proper way to dispose of human waste.

I spent a few minutes looking over these to products.

The Tri to Go + Double Doodie Bag seems like a light/easy solution that might even fit on a bike. I'd be a little nervous packing the Double Doodie bag INSIDE a pannier, but for a truck/rv it would probably be fine. The Amazon reviews suggest the construction quality is a little lacking, so this is probably an item that only lasts a year or two with gentle use. Under $30 on Amazon Prime though... that's cheap. Have any of you used this off a bike?

The Thetfords are HUGE and expensive. They'd only make sense for four wheel vehicle car camping.