User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2014, 12:40 AM   #1
firstime911 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Help me choose K1600GTL, GT, GSA 2014

Hi, I'm thinking of buying the new motorcycle next week at Bangkok motor-show. This is actually my first bike, i'm looking for something cool fun and easy ride. I already have 3 cars (BMW sedan,Mercedes sport, and SUV)

I believe is time for something else, i have been research over a month already. My thought is aim for K1600GTL Executive, however, i just been informed that the price is USD 60,000. (The price for motorcycle in Thailand is very expensive) the price is too high for my budget, and i don't want to get into financial problem. I come to another option GS adventure 2014 (USD 45,000) and K1600gt sport (USD 48,333)

Which one should i get, if i buy these bike i have to keep it for at least 4 years for installment program, my plan is to have cool bike and to ride bike for weekend to travel around in Thailand to beach, to mountain, alone and with my wife with comfort. I'm not big fan of dirt ride but sometime in Thailand is inevitable for small road, gladly not many road are like that. I love the K1600gtl exe with the luxurious look, color, and the option given.

Really which one should i get.. Thank you very much for your opinion.

PS: i'm 34 with height of 6.1
firstime911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:57 AM   #2
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Don't take any offence, but maybe +1000cc, nevermind 1600cc, is unnecessarily big and heavy for a 1st bike?

I've ridden in all parts of Thailand and several other countries in that region, and I don't really see the need for a very big motorcycle. I think they sell (for example) the 650 Kawi ER6/Versys these days in Thailand.. even that size bike can do more or less anything you'll need it to do over there (and will cost a fraction of the enormous prices you posted!!)
Old 03-20-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
NuckaMan
Space Available

Oddometer: 336
Sounds like you are set in Euro made vehicles.

My vote will be the GSA. Truly a do-it-all motorcycle. I know Thailand very well, been there many many times for work purposes, in fact, was just there last week. (I stay off of one of the major hotels off of Sukhumvit, either in Thonglor or Ratcharparsong districts).

With a bike like the GSA, you will almost never had to worry about road conditions due to ride height/suspension. I know the road conditions can be quite rough and unpolished ones you get outside downtown Bangkok.

Keep in mind, it's a heavy and tall bike. Since it's your first bike, it's only a matter of time before you drop it, and with a bike like the GSA, your gonna drop it alot.

My suggestion is do not take your wife on the back until you, yourself are comfortable on it first. If your gonna go all-in with a bike like the GSA as your first motorcycle, it's best your hurt yourself only and not involve someone else like your wife.

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

2013 Triumph Bonneville
NuckaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
firstime911 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckaMan View Post
Sounds like you are set in Euro made vehicles.

My vote will be the GSA. Truly a do-it-all motorcycle. I know Thailand very well, been there many many times for work purposes, in fact, was just there last week. (I stay off of one of the major hotels off of Sukhumvit, either in Thonglor or Ratcharparsong districts).

With a bike like the GSA, you will almost never had to worry about road conditions due to ride height/suspension. I know the road conditions can be quite rough and unpolished ones you get outside downtown Bangkok.

Keep in mind, it's a heavy and tall bike. Since it's your first bike, it's only a matter of time before you drop it, and with a bike like the GSA, your gonna drop it alot.

My suggestion is do not take your wife on the back until you, yourself are comfortable on it first. If your gonna go all-in with a bike like the GSA as your first motorcycle, it's best your hurt yourself only and not involve someone else like your wife.

I already studied so many class that available, basic, street, advance, personal classes.. but yet i will not try to ride it in Bangkok due to amazingly high traffic. Will mostly ride around outer area.. and will keep practicing for a while until i gain full confident.

firstime911 screwed with this post 03-20-2014 at 09:07 AM
firstime911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,512
Get a triumph scrambler, it's cool and easy to ride. And I think it's made there.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
K1600 is the coolest, but it could be a very tricky first bike. CB500X should also be made somewhere close and it's a brilliant solo ride to explore locals and prepare oneself for longer trips.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
Migolito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
None of the above; Ride the bike first no matter what you want, then buy. You may want to ride some mid cc sit up bikes. Try the Yamaha fz-09 it is a sit up and will fly.
Migolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #8
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,886
Buy the one with the most horsepower. Very important.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #9
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Or the hardest rims. And in some cases, the easiest to wash shit off of.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #10
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,886
Buell would have been on my suggestion list, just that some dumbass bought the last one.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #11
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Say you got disappointed when Tenere received another 5-10 hp.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:54 AM   #12
guyfawkes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
sounds like somebodys gonna make a decision based on all the wrong reasons...the thought of "Either K1600 or R1200GS" alone boggles the mind. those two are entirely different concepts...also, why no 1200RT ? not "cool" enough ?
guyfawkes is offline   Reply With Quote