User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #16
pceire32
Irish

Oddometer: 606
Recall ???

I have a 2010 R1200GS still under warranty and in my communication with BMW customer service getting the vin transferred from the original owner to my name, despite the NHTSA report BMW deny there is a recall on these bikes. Talked about a voluntary recall, that if there was a problem take your bike to a BMW dealer and they would review it on an individual basis. I don't have cracks but was trying to deal with it before the cracks appeared. If you have visible cracks I would print out the NHTSA report head to your BMW dealer talk about threat of a fire, and hope for the best. BMW aren't on your side.
50,000 fuel pumps and/or reinforcing the flange + labor is big $ 's to them and they will avoid it any way they can.
pceire32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #17
GSMax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
Has anyone in the USA received notification of the BMW re-call on the cracked fuel pumps fitting necks?

Still waiting and haven't heard anything.. perhaps I missed recent postings on this.

Thanks,

Phil
Last week i asked my dealer about recall, i was wondering why they did not inform us about that (i am first owner). They said it should be fixed on next service visit, or if we are aware about it and call them to make appointment - nice after sales !!
Sorry for my incorrect english.
GSMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #18
Wallowa OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,169
Slovenia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMax View Post
Last week i asked my dealer about recall, i was wondering why they did not inform us about that (i am first owner). They said it should be fixed on next service visit, or if we are aware about it and call them to make appointment - nice after sales !!

We spent a week in Kranjska Gora last Spring...what a great place and wonderful folks! The Julian Alps are second to none.

Let us know if your BMW dealer notifies you or you get a letter from BMW to come in...thanks.

Phil
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #19
pceire32
Irish

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMax View Post
Yes I have heard that other Countries including South Africa have the recall in progress. The USA "NADA" and the most bikes are here so the most $ BMW will have to put out, a connection there ? Your English is great ! Thank you for the information.
You live in a beautiful country.
pceire32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:14 AM   #20
Wallowa OP
Beastly Adventurer

Timetable From BMW..Email Inquiry

In May perhaps we can get the bikes repaired!

"Dear Phillip,

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA regarding your 2007 BMW R 1200 GS. We appreciate your inquiry regarding your motorcycle and fuel pump recall.

The initial letter for those riders affected by this recall will be sent out before months end. This letter will advise riders of the recall and acknowledge their motorcycle is affected.

A second letter will be sent out either the second or third week of April to advise the same riders that the part is now available for repair. Thank you for your patience.

The BMW Motorrad Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., ET. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Regards,

Whitney Tompkins
BMW Motorrad USA
Representative"
Old 03-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #21
NERVE
Thrumming along

Oddometer: 296
I've got two bikes waiting for the recall notice. As long as they aren't leaking fuel I can live with the cracks for another month or two.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:35 AM   #22
billdonna
Ex Coelis

Oddometer: 927
Got my recall in the mail yesterday here in Canada after I called the dealer and said "WTF is the problem with you guys?"
Old 03-25-2014, 06:49 AM   #23
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdonna View Post
Got my recall in the mail yesterday here in Canada after I called the dealer and said "WTF is the problem with you guys?"
So, the subtle approach then. I generally don't swear at the dealer when I need them to take care of something for free but let us know how it works out.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #24
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,086
I've heard nothing yet but I won't worry about it until May gets here and nothing is communicated. I find that BMW has been pretty proactive.

Once I received a thick envelope from BMW and thought it must be something good, only to find a set of stickers and instructions. The stickers were to be placed inside the handguards that stated the handguards should not interfere with the the brake and clutch lever function.

Yeah, I needed a sticker to tell me that
Old 03-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #25
pm_wizard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Laugh

I haven't made any kind of fuss with the dealer here in Toronto, but I received my recall for my 2011 R12 GS yesterday. Of course it's going down to -11 deg C tonight so the machine isn't going anywhere!

My wife read the text of the recall notice and wanted to move it out into the middle of the road in case it blows up or catches fire.... very heavy language in the notice.

John
pm_wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:52 AM   #26
cyclefreak13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I haven't gotten anything yet. I just took my bike in for service (09 GS) and asked the service manager about this. He said that he has gotten no word from BMWNA as to what the fix will be. He did say that when he check the parts supply it showed 18,000 fuel pumps in the warehouse. He figures they are gearing up to replace. Should be interesting to see how it is handled.

Oh and I don't have any cracks or leaks, so lets hope that it stays that way.
And many more bikes.
cyclefreak13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #27
LittleMac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Got my recall letter today! Only problem is I'm still waiting for Bruno to return my driveshaft!
LittleMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #28
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
I don't smell gas so I suppose that's good. Lol
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #29
Wallowa OP
Beastly Adventurer

USA Largest Market?

Why is the USA the last to receive recall notices? Because it involves the largest number of bikes?
Old 03-27-2014, 04:48 PM   #30
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclefreak13 View Post
I haven't gotten anything yet. I just took my bike in for service (09 GS) and asked the service manager about this. He said that he has gotten no word from BMWNA as to what the fix will be. He did say that when he check the parts supply it showed 18,000 fuel pumps in the warehouse. He figures they are gearing up to replace. Should be interesting to see how it is handled.

Oh and I don't have any cracks or leaks, so lets hope that it stays that way.
That would seem like the proper approach to repair. My understanding is that initially BMW wanted to install a supporting clamp at the flange.

You folks that have received your notice, does it identify the repair action?

Paul

Paul