Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #16
DutchVDub
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,035
I have a deep respect for the trikes, but for some reason I loathe the Spyder. I think when I get to that point I'll add a side car to my bike. Actually, I kind of want one now.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #17
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
ps: My dad told me this story when he went to the Harley shop to buy a new leather jacket (My dad is not a Harley guy at all…but he likes the clothing).

A 91 year old rider had just purchased a new Electra Glide there. He told the salesman he didn't want to buy a used one because he wanted something that would last a long time.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:02 AM   #18
Detroit Steve
Homely Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
No offense really.

I find it interesting that the title of this thread mentions skills fading and the OP has bought a trike. What about an MSF course? that is where skills can be replenished. Riding a trike takes almost as much skill to operate as a motorcycle in a traffic. I had a sidecar rig for awhile, that takes WAAYYY more skill than riding a motorcycle.

It saddens me that people that don't take the time to go to school to improve their skills they just buy a new bike.

Detroit Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:19 AM   #19
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,578
I've played rugby for a long, long time. Every time I go to a coach's seminar, I learn something that shows me a new facet of a sport I've pursued for more than ten years. Even so, some of those skills that I learn aren't too helpful to me, because I'm 42 years old now, and playing rugby at 42 isn't the same as playing rugby as when you're 22.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:29 AM   #20
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
I have a deep respect for the trikes, but for some reason I loathe the Spyder. I think when I get to that point I'll add a side car to my bike. Actually, I kind of want one now.
I like the spyders. Ugly yes, but two wheels in front just makes a lot more sense to me than two in back pushing a skinny front tire. Never ridden either type, so typical internet opinion
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:33 AM   #21
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Steve View Post
I find it interesting that the title of this thread mentions skills fading and the OP has bought a trike. What about an MSF course? that is where skills can be replenished. Riding a trike takes almost as much skill to operate as a motorcycle in a traffic. I had a sidecar rig for awhile, that takes WAAYYY more skill than riding a motorcycle.

It saddens me that people that don't take the time to go to school to improve their skills they just buy a new bike.
Wouldn't a hack be more difficult to ride than a trike??

And then there's this
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:02 AM   #22
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:

really? MSF for an experienced, well worn rider? does MSF turn back the hands of time, too? bring back youthful reflexes, eyesight, and balance? do you think this riders skills have "faded" from lack of study and parking lot practice? he may have taken the course already, or even in recent years, although not mentioned

its called age, and it happens to everyone no matter how many books you study or riding courses you take. this rider has taken the safest path for him.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:19 AM   #23
pitbull
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,498
Quote:

I assumed the OP was speaking of physical ability fading with age. If skills are fading due to reduced riding time and practice for other reasons, then I agree with your statement, however, I get the feeling he was referring more to age related declined ability.

For me it will be a spyder type ride or a side car rig.
pitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:51 AM   #24
MHaz01
I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer: 220
I'm 65 and have been riding since I was 15. As I entered my 60s I noticed that a small loss of skills was being replaced with an increase in wisdom. I think that's a good balance.

I know that there will be a limit to the number of years I can safely ride. I am working to extend that number of years. First, I traded for a motorcycle that better fit my body. I had to tip-toe my previous bike; the one I own now can easily be flat-footed while stopped. There is less risk of tipping over and injuring shoulders/legs/arms/hips. The bike I bought would not have been my first choice, but it FITS me better than the others I tried.

Second, I hired a personal trainer at the health club where I exercise. I told her that I wanted to be strong enough to keep riding (with a passenger on board) for at least five more years, and she devised two excellent workout routines that have strengthened the muscle groups I use while riding. I've been doing them 5X weekly and the differences are quite noticeable. And the other benefits add greatly to the quality of my non-motorcycle life as well. If you haven't devised and exercise plan, you should. You'll be surprised by how much it improves your riding.

Third, I have a Plan B to look forward to so that when it's time to park the motorcycle I'll not delay the inevitable. My Plan B is to have a scooter for around town and a Miata for longer trips. I'm neutral on owning a trike. They seem awfully tippy to me. Maybe if someone invents a trike that leans I could be persuaded to own one.

I've adopted a YNFA mindset in trip planning, YNFA meaning You're Not Forty Anymore. Every multi-day ride has bail-out points when it's time to park the bike for the day. Those points are levels of fatigue that make it less safe for me to drive a motorcycle any further that day. I no longer think "We have to get to Point X today and it's only another 200 miles, so let's keep going". When I'm tired, we stop. Sometimes that's for an hour to nap, rehydrate and eat, and sometimes it's for the rest of the day.

Last, my first ride of the year is always to an empty parking lot. I take cone along and practice emergency stops weaving, U-turns, figure 8s' etc for a few hours to refresh the skills needed to ride safely. Oh, and I've given up group rides. I'll go out with two or three trusted friends, but no more formation riding in a big group because of the inevitable low-skill riders in the middle of the pack and the stops at bars for a few beers. I have a zero alcohol while riding policy that I won't violate.

Sorry about the long reply!
Old 03-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #25
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull View Post
I assumed the OP was speaking of physical ability fading with age. If skills are fading due to reduced riding time and practice for other reasons, then I agree with your statement, however, I get the feeling he was referring more to age related declined ability.

- snip -
+ 1.

The rider from whom I bought my last Gold Wing (bike mentioned in my first post) was selling precisely because at age 70 he had been given a prescription that effected his balance. He could no longer safely balance the bike and did not want to go to a trike.

I likewise took the OP to mean age related loss of balance or of fine motor control, and slowing reflexes. Let's face it, if we live long enough we will all face it.

Re, skills per se. I'm certain a trip to the MSF ER course would be helpful every few years but I work every weekend, and taking a vacation weekend for it takes away from my family.

So I too open my season with a couple of parking lot drills and a 50 mile ride on what I call "mental health route #4.

The route has some busy in town stuff, leisurely secondary roads, and mostly deserted curvy country roads where the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains begin in my county.

After that tune up I just ride.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #26
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,457
I will soon be 70. Been riding since I was 14. Yeah my balance is not what it used to be. School can't bring that back. I just try to be more careful. I hope to ride a while longer.

I just can't ride with reckless abandon as I once did.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969

hexnut screwed with this post 03-22-2014 at 10:35 AM
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:28 AM   #27
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,082
One thing I have noticed is that as you age both genetic tendencies and lifestyle choices start to have a huge effect. The genetic stuff is mostly beyond our control so we can only work on the lifestyle stuff. There is the use it or lose it aspect too. I have never smoked and drink alcohol very very rarely and even then maybe one glass of wine or a beer-once a year at most. I have been running regularly since 1979, and I am starting to reap the benefits now at age 57. I even started doing some low key skateboarding to improve my balance. All good. Sure, I have slowed down a bit on the motorcycles, but overall ability is still decent and I can still rip pretty good off road on my KTM 500 EXC. Currently waiting to take delivery of a 1290 Superduke as a stablemate to the 500. And when I finally hit the age where I am not comfortable riding a motorcycle, then I will skip the 3 wheelers and maybe go for a sports car or something. The main attraction of motorcycles for me is the ability to lean, and some 3 wheelers can lean, but not my cup of tea. BTW, I think riding dirt bikes is a huge benefit for riding street bikes. On the dirt you have to use a lot of riding skills all the time-great training.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #28
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
Im only 68,but my lower back is shot.
It got so bad ,i could hardly pick my bonneville off the stand.
If i used enough drugs to ride it,i couldn't.
I needed a lighter bike,bought the cbr250r,200+lbs lighter.
My trips are just around,local country roads,and canyons.
This little bike is FUN,makes me 16 again!
Beats, giveing up rideing!!!

doxiedog screwed with this post 03-22-2014 at 12:51 PM
doxiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #29
cldiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
I just had to give up league darts because my abilities were fading. I would probably get a Can am. I figure I'm good for at least 6-7 more years. I may have done all the riding I want to do by then. That's the plan, sort off. get all the exciting, physically/mentally demanding stuff done now before I can't.

I've given up the wing suit flying idea (smile)

cldiver screwed with this post 03-22-2014 at 01:05 PM
cldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #30
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Best thing to do when you feel your skills slipping away is to get rid of that Harley and get a lighter bike that can actually take corners and relearn those skiils. My neighbor is 83 years young and hardly anyone can keep up with him in the twisties on his Aprilla.
Solarbronco is online now   Reply With Quote