Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #31
Apxgrndr
In the snow

Oddometer: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarbronco View Post
Best thing to do when you feel your skills slipping away is to get rid of that Harley and get a lighter bike that can actually take corners and relearn those skiils. My neighbor is 83 years young and hardly anyone can keep up with him in the twisties on his Aprilla.
That's awesome!

I think I would go the spyder route, I rented one last summer just out of curiosity and found it to be a lot of fun. The only problem is everybody wants to ask you about it when you stop, hard to get anywhere
Old 03-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #32
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Lots of research shows that being athletic and exercising your brain are how you compress morbidity in advancing years.

So, do crossword puzzles, learn new things on Khan Academy, take up running, do strength training, and use what you don't want to lose.

I'm hoping to be perfectly functional right up until I die at age 95 piloting an bike through Rwanda or Ethiopia for the unpteenth time.

When I do begin to fade, I'll get smaller bikes, take shorter trips, or switch to four wheels.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #33
hapbob OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Yea yea

I assumed you would understand my physical skills are fading. Balance,sight,and leg strength are all way different then when I started motocross racing 40 years ago. My last Harley is also the key point. I dropped mine in parking lot first time in life of 7 Harley's this past year and that has been on my mind. Ma ma will enjoy the trike ride more than the big ol harley. Everyone is different of course and when is it time for you? Before you have a problem or after ? I still have a two wheel scooter that I will buzz around on. I'm waiting for that snow pile to melt and get this trike out and about. It will be fun just different fun. Thanks to everyone for well wishes.

Hap
Hap
Retired USAF
hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #34
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Hap, all the research shows that you don't have to give up because you're fading.
You can slow the fade with the right modifications to your routines.

Good luck, bro.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #35
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapbob View Post
I assumed you would understand my physical skills are fading. Balance,sight,and leg strength are all way different then when I started motocross racing 40 years ago. My last Harley is also the key point. I dropped mine in parking lot first time in life of 7 Harley's this past year and that has been on my mind. Ma ma will enjoy the trike ride more than the big ol harley. Everyone is different of course and when is it time for you? Before you have a problem or after ? I still have a two wheel scooter that I will buzz around on. I'm waiting for that snow pile to melt and get this trike out and about. It will be fun just different fun. Thanks to everyone for well wishes.

Hap
You're a smart man. That you travel with your lady plays into it. Even a lighter bike two-up isn't so light.

Let us know what you think of the triglide when you get some road time on it.

Still gonna be a few weeks before your snow goes away. What a long winter.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #36
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,050
One thing I have noticed is that I am not as strong as I was and it is easier to pull muscles or irritate something. This is most relevant when doing off road riding. You see these older guys with these huge "adventure" bikes-seems it should be the opposite! The older you get the lighter bike. That is where I am heading with off road bikes. My 500 weighs just a bit over 300lbs ready to go and it much easier to ride than the heavier KTM 690 I had before. I need something street legal so that limits my choices-otherwise I might get an even lighter two stroke bike. For road bikes a low center of gravity is a big help in addition to light weight.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #37
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 793
Dirt/Road

Back in the days, I did a lot of road racing and I collected body damage along the way. Now some 40 years later, it is showing up as various aches and pains when I attempt two wheel off roading. My solution at first was to stick to the road, fun but I miss the dirt. So, there was only one solution for me:

2013 Ural Gear-Up

I still can handle the road bit; but once that is questionable, the Ural will be my all arounder.

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #38
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,973
You can put snow tires on it!

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:09 AM   #39
JohninVT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
My father is 72. Despite living in northern VT, he doesn't own a car but has two motorcycles; a XS1100 Standard and a 94' ZX11. It's nothing for him to put 500 miles on his ZX in a day just screwing around. He actually prefers his XS1100 though and if you see someone on a ratty XS, painting darkies out of every single corner exit over the Appalachian or Middlebury Gap...it's my dad. I can only hope his riding ability/longevity is genetic.

Me? I'm 45 and I've noticed it takes me a little longer each Spring to get my skills back. The balance and coordination it takes to really ride well on the street require constant use and that's impossible for me living in New England. Soooo....I always have a Honda Passport or XT250 or TW200. They extend my season on both ends and allow me to transition into riding my street bike with minimal adjustment.
JohninVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:23 AM   #40
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,826
My uncle is 74 and he has a HD sportster with nitrous! Him and his buddies went on a ride this summer around 1000 miles.

Man I hope I can still ride at that age. Not the way I'm going though. On a ride the other day in the big city I was really starting to question my skills.

D.T. screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 05:31 AM
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:36 AM   #41
TheProphet
Zen Rider

Oddometer: 209
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapbob View Post
I assumed you would understand my physical skills are fading. Balance,sight,and leg strength are all way different then when I started motocross racing 40 years ago. ...

Hap
Understood, and yes... all of us will be there someday. exercise, pills, clean living ... or magic aside.

Very nice trike, and we get the "two-up" part. Extremely important. Hard to do that on an Aprilia!

I plan to do exactly the same when the inevitable happens. Plus, you get trunk space for all your arthritis pills!

Have FUN, and enjoy the great Trike!
TheProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:53 AM   #42
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
I think it's good that you realize your limitations and are making the decision to move to another, albeit less physically imposing, form of motorcycling. Enjoy the new trike!

My dad is 82 and still goes for occasional rides in South Florida. I think he's crazy, but he's burried all his friends and much of his close relatives and who am I to say anything to him. He "retired" nearly 30 years ago and got into real estate. There isn't a week that goes by that he isn't up on a roof fixing something, installing cabinets, etc on one of his houses. I think it keeps him young.

I actually want him to try my ZX14R when he comes out to visit.
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #43
pitbull
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Hap, all the research shows that you don't have to give up because you're fading.
You can slow the fade with the right modifications to your routines.

Good luck, bro.
This is true if you decide to live in a glass bubble outside of your physical and nutritional "modifications".

At 46, I'm still squatting, deadlifting, playing hockey, touch football and practicing excellent nutrition (an interest since my teens). However, college football, 40+ years of hockey, 20 years of firefighting, lifting and sports injuries have taken their toll.

While I plan on being healthy into old age, I have a strong suspicion that I will be paying for an active life with pain, proprioception issues and reduced mobility.
pitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #44
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
I think it's good that you realize your limitations and are making the decision to move to another, albeit less physically imposing, form of motorcycling. Enjoy the new trike!
This.

"A man's got to know his limitations." Clint Eastwood in some movie.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #45
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,844
Nothing wrong with my skills and reaction time. But I have severe arthritis, and bith knees and both shoulders are shot. Not sure if a trike or sidecar would be much help with this, you still have to get on/off of it. I got rid of a Goldwing because I was having problems holding it up in parking lots and at stoplights. For now the solution seems to be a smaller lighter bike. But when I do need 3 wheels, it will be a sidecar, almost certainly a Ural, because like my Enfield, it is traditional and old tech.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote