Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #46
ST-DocLizard1
Serial Monogamist

Oddometer: 795
Looking at 68 this year and realizing that my mental skills have to pick up some of the slack left by my physical deterioration(bad knee, upper body strength). I believe I have some time left in the saddle on two wheels, I am alternating between the ST1300 and 919 as my mounts.

Time will tell.
ST-DocLizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #47
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
I don't have any skill now so I'm not worried
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #48
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapbob View Post
When your riding skills start to fade you will know it. Then what are you going to do?
I decided it wasn't worth risk to me or mrs or anyone in between.
So sold my 7th Harley a 2009 Road King. Great bike one of my favorites.
And now I'm on the last Harley of my life .

What will you do?
Hap
I won't.

Take another class, sharpen your skills, weight training etc. If it's something you love, don't let it go.

Easy to say, harder to do. But bikes are a release for me. One worth fighting for.

As far as bikes, pick a smaller bike if you want something easier to manage. When I was 25, a Harley didn't make sense. I can't imagine it makes sense as we age either.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:56 AM   #49
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
I won't.

Take another class, sharpen your skills, weight training etc. If it's something you love, don't let it go.

Easy to say, harder to do. But bikes are a release for me. One worth fighting for.

As far as bikes, pick a smaller bike if you want something easier to manage. When I was 25, a Harley didn't make sense. I can't imagine it makes sense as we age either.
Sounds good and some will be that fortunate. Many are not. Health, joints, medical issues, genetics, etc. may leave you in a position where classes, fitness, etc. won't cover it. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Then, press on.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:30 AM   #50
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
I ran into a guy at a gas station on a new Honda Goldwing F6B in Gateway CO. We got to chatting and he goes on to tell us that he's 75 and that he likes the new bike, but misses his older 2000(?forgot exact year ) Goldwing that he accumulated over 300K miles on since new. He got taken out by some dumb bitch that rolled a stop sign. He was on his routine 300 mile loop yesterday.

I was ready to offer him a ride on my ZX14R, but he set off on his way before I asked. I figured a 75 yea old ex dragracer, riding his whole life with over a million miles, could handle it. He kept asking me what the engine felt like on it.
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:02 AM   #51
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,304
best wishes with your 3-wheeler.
i have no desire to ride anything but 2 wheels, anything else kills all the reasons i ride. when i can no longer handle the smallest of motorcycles, its cages for me.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #52
devo55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
What will I do? First, I hope I'll recognize when my reaction time/balance and skills are no longer up to the task. Then, reluctantly, I'll give up riding.
devo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #53
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
When the time comes of rme, I could go the CanAm Spyder route. It's not the same, but for me, it's better than not riding.

When I was 35, my dad was 57 and decided he was losing that edge so he sold his last street bike. He moved to Mexico and retired there, and rode a little 100cc dirt bike in the sand once in awhile.

When I was 38, I started road-racing, and dad told me I was getting too old for those things, and needed to leave it to the younger guys. I was never blazingly fast, but I learned more about riding in two years than I had in the previous 20.

Fast forward to 2011 when I moved to Las Vegas where my dad and sis live, and then moved my father in with me. He's just over 80 now, and when I mentioned wanting to buy a bike, he was very against it and was sure I'd get killed out here. Vegas is hard on bike riders, and kills many of them each year, altho it's frequently the Darwin effect.

A year down the road, my younger sister wanted to learn to ride, and dad went into a panic. She drives very fast in a car, and he was sure she wouldn't survive the first few days.

Now almost a year later, I have 5 bikes and sis just sold her Ninja 500 to move up to a Shadow 750. Dad is thinking he wants a bike so he can go riding with us. He misses it, but he isn't interested in a trike and I don't think his balance and reflexes are up to it.

He had it in his head that he could just tell the DMV he used to have an endorsement in another state 20 years ago and they'd just give him one here. He wanted me to start looking for a bike for him, so I suggested he take the MSF course and try it all out in a parking lot before we go bike shopping. He pretty much dropped it after that... since he can't swing a leg over any of the bikes we own.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #54
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,391
I still think I'm riding better with time, like others have mentioned, if you can still balance things, lowering the aggression stance and increasing the wisdom element of the ride, it can get better and smoother.

But when the time comes, I will be ready.

1. Lighter bike first.
2. Shorter and lighter bike second.
3. Trike? No.
But that Morgan, more a car than a bike, not a trike despite the bike motor and three wheels, seems to be the right compromise. Richard Hammond of Top Gear fame has put one of those to its paces on series 18 of the BBC program.

But the other two choices, the Caterham or the KTM are not bad either.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:59 PM   #55
i_isntreal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
When I first started to ride, I came across a goldwing with a handicap/seniors parking pass hanging on its handlebars. Never saw the owner, but that inspired me to dream of putting many miles behind me well into my retirement years (which are a very long way off yet), regardless of whether I needed to bring a cane along.

A year or so later, I met an older gentleman who had the wisdom to know when to hang up his riding jacket, and the kindness to pass it on to me. Both of his ankles/feet had prosthetics of some sort and he could no longer safely hold the bike up let alone ride.

Wearing his jacket always reminds me to ride safely within my skills and abilities. I hope I'll pass the jacket along when the time is right.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:13 PM   #56
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,195
Hapbob - thanks for your service to our country and all the best with your new ride!
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #57
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
I have a deep respect for the trikes, but for some reason I loathe the Spyder. I think when I get to that point I'll add a side car to my bike. Actually, I kind of want one now.

Sad to hear that, the twin front wheel layout is the one that works best in all situations - well, maybe except selling ice cream from the boot.

The two front wheels provide cornering stability far better than the twin rear wheel set up, no matter what anyone says. They handle like a sportscar without any tipping action what so ever.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #58
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Sad to hear that, the twin front wheel layout is the one that works best in all situations - well, maybe except selling ice cream from the boot.
Or not

Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #59
ianbh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
I'm 72 and notice a deterioration of physical skills. Already switched from an FJR to a Wee, then Glee. Still had a brain belch and ventured off road last year. No physical harm, bike needs some work. I did find out that a 5 wire barb wire fence will hold the bike up.

Two older friends sold their GS' and bought Piaggio MP3s (three-wheel scooters). they rode them cross country a few years ago.

I bought one for around town-it's a hoot! There's an owner's forum for them; some put a lot of touring miles on them. Probably the way I'll go when time comes. Ian, Iowa
ianbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #60
dasrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
My dad is 64 going on 65. About 2 years ago he picked up a brand new Harley trike. After his Electraglide tipped over and pinned him he gave up on 2 and went with 3 wheels. In my opinion and from riding with him it's not from a mental fading of skill, rather phsyical. Honestly, I would have had a hard time picking up that old Electraglide piggy too.

Dad isn't afraid of that trike and giving it some go though. I was pretty impressed with his ability to keep pace with me on my Speed Triple this past summer at the Tail of the Dragon. He was actually complaining about other slower Harleys getting in his way and not yeilding to a faster vehicle, haha!
dasrider is offline   Reply With Quote