User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
Colorado_Rider OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,026
Tell me about KTM's

Looking at getting a SMT and owned nothing but Japanese bikes (about 20) I was looking at Multistradas but don't see it being worth anything in 5 years and have so many electronics I'd be afraind to use it. I do want something that gives me piece of mind that it's well built and can take abuse.

I've heard they are developed by madmen, which sounds intriguiging. If I'm looking for something that excites me, do I need to look any further?
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
JohnnyWaffles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Madmen? Agreed.
The KTM is the kind of bike you take behind the middle school and get pregnant. It's the kind of bike that, from the moment you light the fire, you know is downright nasty and makes you want to meet in the Burger King bathroom and lick its butthole.
JohnnyWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
woodchuckexc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
Get a new 1190 adv. Strada on roids!
woodchuckexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #4
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Beta's are better.
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
I used to ride nothing but the red chicken wings but now having drank the orange kool aid I cant go back
I look at hondas now and think "My Gawd how did I ever fall in love with that big boned nag"
maintenance is about the same IMO, the KTMs do need some de-quirking but once dialed in reliability is about equal if not better than most jappers
Parts availability and pricing is about equal to Honda

however, I am referring to Off Road bikes
the jappers probably still have the edge in the crotch rocket and pure motocross categories
IMO
Old 03-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
fhammond
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
Looking at getting a SMT and owned nothing but Japanese bikes (about 20) I was looking at Multistradas but don't see it being worth anything in 5 years and have so many electronics I'd be afraind to use it. I do want something that gives me piece of mind that it's well built and can take abuse.

I've heard they are developed by madmen, which sounds intriguiging. If I'm looking for something that excites me, do I need to look any further?
I bought a Multistrada 1200 after looking at an SMT. However, I did it partially because I'd never had a Ducati and wanted one. The Multistrada is fantastic but if I was doing it again, I'd definitely get the SMT. Very similar and just as much fun. I have a few friends with SMTs and they love them.
fhammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #7
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post

I picked up a clean, low miles SMT over the winter....mine's a '10 which is the model that I was looking for. With under 6k on the odo and a snow storm arriving, it was not a bad buy and I've been riding it as the weather permits. As the model years progress, there are more electronics and gizmos including an ABS system. Over here, there's a retailer with #2 SMT's and killer prices on them ($11k before TLI). I'd consider the upgrade if they'd give me a good trade-in. The SMT appears to be the template that the new 1190 Adv Std is derived from, it certainly wasn't the more dirt worthy 990 Adv which has a few quirks. I began the Euro bike passion with BMW's 15 years ago but my last 6 bike buys have been Orange for a reason. I spent a lot of time comparing models/brands and I'll stick with my current stable of bikes for the time being....'02 1150gs, '08 690e, '08 990Adv and '10 SMT.....YMMV......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
Colorado_Rider OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustodust View Post
I used to ride nothing but the red chicken wings but now having drank the orange kool aid I cant go back
I look at hondas now and think "My Gawd how did I ever fall in love with that big boned nag"
maintenance is about the same IMO, the KTMs do need some de-quirking but once dialed in reliability is about equal if not better than most jappers
Parts availability and pricing is about equal to Honda

however, I am referring to Off Road bikes
the jappers probably still have the edge in the crotch rocket and pure motocross categories
IMO
Interesting, I have loved my Hondas but there was always something missing, if I could find something that is as reliable/durable and a thrilling ride I'd be a super happy customer.

I actually enjoy maintenence as long as it's not unreasonably difficult. I also like de-quirking. I found a rediculous deal on a new '12 SMT, I'll let you know Tuesday how things worked out.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:37 PM   #9
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2

Oddometer: 419
I sold my SMT for the 1190 Adventure. I liked that bike a lot. No complaints other than a twitchy throttle at slow speeds. It was a fantastic bike. But now after putting some miles on the 1190 I don't miss the SMT.
1994 Ducati 888 LTD #61
2008 Husqvarna TE610
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
Wonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
ericGSsti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
I was a Honda man. I'm now ktm. I tried to think what I'd replace my 950 adv s with if the time ever came and the only thing I can come up with is a ktm 990 or a 690 enduro. Nothing else would even come close.

Mine is due it's second service since I bought it and no issues.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #11
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Oddometer: 324
I prefer my honda trail 110. It has 4 high and 4 low!!
'09 KTM 530 EXC, '12 KTM 350 EXC
'82 Honda CT 110
Harold Waikiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:45 PM   #12
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 337
they are all fine, but . . .

BMWs are fine, Hondas are fine, even Suzuki's and Yamahas are fine. But, when you reach the limits of this those brands when riding aggressively, you choose to ride a KTM.
J.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:44 AM   #13
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMongo View Post
BMWs are fine, Hondas are fine, even Suzuki's and Yamahas are fine. But, when you reach the limits of this those brands when riding aggressively, you choose to ride a KTM.
J.
word
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #14
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Get the orange stuff.

Had a Honda CBR929 (fast), Honda CB750F2 (reliable n comfy), Honda VF750S (shaky), kawasaky ZX12R (FAAAAAASST!!!!), yammie XV535 (cho chop chop)...

Trying the 950, wooohooo!!! What have i been missing... the rest is the same story for most OC users

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #15
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,562
They are big.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote