Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerjms View Post
Great trip post!
Hikerjms, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bultaco206 View Post
+1

More, please. I would love to ride across Canada.
Bultaco... do it! I love exploring Canada and motorcycle is a pretty great way to do it, although you should stay off the main highways (I've got to do this more myself!). Canada is vast and beautiful.

I'm riding to Vancouver for the second time this May. Last time I did it mainly back roads through southern Canada. This time I will ride through the northern States on Route 2.
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:46 AM   #32
cldiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Very good report. I was traveling the same roads thru Ont that year. I was heading west the first couple of days in July and going back 11-13 July. I wonder if you may have passed me? many did.

I have pics of some of the same landmarks. When I can post pics I put them up.

I have 2 pics of that northern water shed thing. I did feel like I was far north (smile). I remember the smell of the Canola as i rode past the never ending fields. I found the rode from Thunderbay to Kenora the dullest part of the trip(both ways). I stopped in dryden, I can't remember if I ate there or just got gas.
cldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:49 AM   #33
Superzoom OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhawk View Post
Great report ! Did you figure out how to solve dumb problem 's #1 and 2 ? im guilty of both on long trips and still cant seem to slow down and enjoy the scenery. -- just saw your latest post -- guess not :)
Superhawk.... I rode to Halifax last year and was quite a bit better on both problems. Helps with the gas mileage too!

I've got a big trip to Calgary/Vancouver/California coming up, and I really want to get my impatience under control. Route 1 along the coast in California can be really dreadfully slow, with all the tourist traffic, and I want to be happy to plod along at tourist speed by then.

I know that I actually have less fun these days when I start passing aggressively. I just have to listen to the angel of patience on my right shoulder, not the devil of hyper legal speeds.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:56 AM   #34
Superzoom OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldiver View Post
Very good report. I was traveling the same roads thru Ont that year. I was heading west the first couple of days in July and going back 11-13 July. I wonder if you may have passed me? many did.

I have pics of some of the same landmarks. When I can post pics I put them up.

I have 2 pics of that northern water shed thing. I did feel like I was far north (smile). I remember the smell of the Canola as i rode past the never ending fields. I found the rode from Thunderbay to Kenora the dullest part of the trip(both ways). I stopped in dryden, I can't remember if I ate there or just got gas.
Cldiver... if a Chinese dude on a black FZ6R passed you on some double yellows on a mountain road, it might have been me! Kidding (mostly). I must have been just behind you going out and behind you again coming back.

Would love to see your pics. I never smelt the Canola, as far as I can remember, but it's really striking and beautiful. Thunder Bay to Kenora is somewhat dull, but still a lot better than most of the Trans Canada.

Riding north around the Great Lakes should be a rite of passage for all Canadian motorcyclists. It's pretty great.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #35
cldiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, I agree. The road from Wawa (I have a pic of the goose as well) to Thunderbay was wonderful. I found it chilly tho, the wind was coming right off the lake. I did actually see the sleeping giant.

I was riding a black and blue harley Superglide so there is a very good chance that you passed me, thousands did.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:28 AM   #36
cldiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzoom View Post
I'm riding to Vancouver for the second time this May. Last time I did it mainly back roads through southern Canada. This time I will ride through the northern States on Route 2.
I heading for Spokane Wash, this summer along the northern states. We'll have to compare notes on our routes. I'll be mostly on I 70.

Let me know when you discover that method of dealing with impatience. I'm fine on the Trans Canada as there are very few cars around me but as I get closer to the main citys I start getting pissed at the stupid drivers.

I really enjoy riding on the four lanes cause I can just relax and let the bike flow. Twistys are fun but I don't think i could ride them for 12 hrs a day.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:40 AM   #37
MassiveLee
Banned

Oddometer: 791
Great report. That's my kind of trip. Cheap motels, beer, BBQ ribs and nothing to do but riding. Thanks very much for the comments and pictures. I shall hit the road in a few weeks from Montreal to Alberta's Badlands. Weather permitting, of course.
MassiveLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #38
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
I thoroughly enjoyed your RR.

The humor and photos ... and riding style ... made me feel as if I were there.

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #39
Superzoom OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldiver View Post
I heading for Spokane Wash, this summer along the northern states. We'll have to compare notes on our routes. I'll be mostly on I 70.

Let me know when you discover that method of dealing with impatience. I'm fine on the Trans Canada as there are very few cars around me but as I get closer to the main citys I start getting pissed at the stupid drivers.

I really enjoy riding on the four lanes cause I can just relax and let the bike flow. Twistys are fun but I don't think i could ride them for 12 hrs a day.
Cldiver.... Check out Route 50 for your ride out to Spokane. I will be riding home from L.A. on that May trip along Route 50, and it looks like an interesting route that's not an interstate, although you might not find it as relaxing since it's two lanes in many parts, I believe.

I am going to try to adjust my attitude and channel my inner senior to learn patience. There is little one can do to combat stupid drivers, except not care, which is hard to do when they are endangering your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveLee View Post
Great report. That's my kind of trip. Cheap motels, beer, BBQ ribs and nothing to do but riding. Thanks very much for the comments and pictures. I shall hit the road in a few weeks from Montreal to Alberta's Badlands. Weather permitting, of course.
MassiveLee.... Thanks! I actually get a sick enjoyment out of shabby motels. I feel like a character in a pulpy crime novel or something. Road food is good, even when it's bad, for me. Have a good ride out west. See if you can do some back roads for some of it. I really liked the beautiful rolling green hills of Saskatchewan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed your RR.

The humor and photos ... and riding style ... made me feel as if I were there.
Dan Diego.... Thanks, Dan. I personally think my riding style sucks--too many miles and not enough fun--but I do manage to enjoy the little things about motorcycle trips in general . . . like bad food!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #40
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Nwt

absolutely excellent report, and All-Canadian to boot

well done .... yes 'the north' is a big big place isn't it .... southerners, including most Canadians don't appreciate just how big and beautiful this country is !

your observations on Nelson are spot on .... and thats B.O.B. or Big Orange Bridge there .... love the NWT part as I lived 'up north' for a few years and want to do my own trip back sometime very very soon.

cheers !
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #41
Superzoom OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwunger View Post
absolutely excellent report, and All-Canadian to boot

well done .... yes 'the north' is a big big place isn't it .... southerners, including most Canadians don't appreciate just how big and beautiful this country is !

your observations on Nelson are spot on .... and thats B.O.B. or Big Orange Bridge there .... love the NWT part as I lived 'up north' for a few years and want to do my own trip back sometime very very soon.

cheers !
Big and beautiful, it is!

Didn't know the bridge had a name. But I guess if I were looped from some righteous herb and were staring at it, I'd start coming up with names for it, too.

When I was in Nelson, I kept thinking to myself, "This place is SO not me." It felt like a caricature of a hippy town, maybe something you'd find in Disneyworld if Walt Disney were a pot smoker. But now I find myself wanting to go back and party there. It's a fun town if you don't take things too seriously. We had a blast.

My feelings on Yellowknife are pretty mixed. A nice enough town, but I didn't get the warm vibe that I usually get in small towns, and not really enough culture to make it cool. It kind of feels like a place you go to work for a few years, make a bunch of money, then leave. But there are dozens of cool things to do based out of Yellowknife.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #42
harley1550
Touring Rider

Oddometer: 219
Great report and photos, Superzoom!

I thoroughly enjoyed that! :) You have a cool sense of humor and I like your honesty. I have some of the same issues on trips. One conundrum, as I've always called it, is that I like the trips but I really like being with my great wife and miss her while on trips. I understand, thoroughly, your sentiments.

Thanks again and ride safe.
harley1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #43
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Yk

Quote:
My feelings on Yellowknife are pretty mixed. A nice enough town, but I didn't get the warm vibe that I usually get in small towns, and not really enough culture to make it cool. It kind of feels like a place you go to work for a few years, make a bunch of money, then leave. But there are dozens of cool things to do based out of Yellowknife.
you got that right ! ..... make some serious $$$$ then get the heck out

cheers buddy !
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #44
Superzoom OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley1550 View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed that! :) You have a cool sense of humor and I like your honesty. I have some of the same issues on trips. One conundrum, as I've always called it, is that I like the trips but I really like being with my great wife and miss her while on trips. I understand, thoroughly, your sentiments.

Thanks again and ride safe.
Harley1550.... Glad you enjoyed it! My conundrum is exactly the same as yours. I keep seeing cool things and thinking, "I wish Allie were here to see this." I used to think, "What is wrong with me?" Why couldn't I enjoy my independence more? I've just come to accept that I enjoy experiencing life more with someone by my side, whether it's a good friend or my wife. I don't necessarily think it's a good thing or a bad thing. That's just the way I am.

If I'm on my own, it helps a lot when I get to meet new people. That part of travelling alone is pretty cool. But sometimes you just don't interact much with others, and I get a bit lonely.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:11 PM   #45
Freakhead
Burly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Harley1550.... Glad you enjoyed it! My conundrum is exactly the same as yours. I keep seeing cool things and thinking, "I wish Allie were here to see this." I used to think, "What is wrong with me?" Why couldn't I enjoy my independence more? I've just come to accept that I enjoy experiencing life more with someone by my side, whether it's a good friend or my wife. I don't necessarily think it's a good thing or a bad thing. That's just the way I am.

If I'm on my own, it helps a lot when I get to meet new people. That part of travelling alone is pretty cool. But sometimes you just don't interact much with others, and I get a bit lonely.
Great ride report, lots of laughs reading it.

I too suffer from most of your problems identified in the first post and on my last trip worked on those & enjoyed the trip so much more even though I covered less ground.

I haven't found a way to solve the aches I feel from being away from my wife & kids though. Don't think I ever will until one my kids starts going on the back of the bike for the trips. (That sure will cut down on long days & bad eating as I set a great example when the kids are about)

Thanks for posting! Hope your friend's job at Trinity worked out.
Freakhead is offline   Reply With Quote