Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2014, 04:28 PM   #46
cldiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I'm sorry I'll be on the I 80 going west. The US 50 looks like an alright road but too far south for me. I may ride the lincoln highway,(US 30),some as it looks like it may have some cool towns and stuff.

Good luck on your trip. I'm hoping to be able to get the bike out of storage this weekend despite this big ass storm bearing down on us.
cldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #47
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 383
Very nice quick blitz thru Canada..I enjoyed the photos and your less than desirable choices of food.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #48
ricard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Thanks for the report, it brings back fond memories. I also rode to Yellowknife in July 2012. It's a small place, I wonder how we missed each other.

ricard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #49
Antennas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Nice report

Nice report I enjoyed reading it. I have gone across the country several times but not on a bike yet. Lived in Yellowknife (YK) for 5 years. I miss it, it is a fun place with a lot going for it. I guess you need to live there to know it.

I have the opposite problem from you, I never take the highways and always take way more time than I expect as I am wandering around taking pictures and such. But it's fun and I enjoy it.

Thanks for the pictures of your trip.

Andrew

http://ridethemaritimes.blogspot.ca

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/bay...y-harbour.html
Antennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #50
judomaniak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
awesome report with excellent pictures. Been to Yellowknife as a kid, wasn't much there when i was there. Your pictures of all the great scenery make me want to go back, this time on my bike
Old 03-25-2014, 04:23 AM   #51
Superzoom OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakhead View Post
Great ride report, lots of laughs reading it.

I too suffer from most of your problems identified in the first post and on my last trip worked on those & enjoyed the trip so much more even though I covered less ground.

I haven't found a way to solve the aches I feel from being away from my wife & kids though. Don't think I ever will until one my kids starts going on the back of the bike for the trips. (That sure will cut down on long days & bad eating as I set a great example when the kids are about)

Thanks for posting! Hope your friend's job at Trinity worked out.
Freakhead.... I'm a little surprised that you and a few others have identified with my poor touring behaviour. It actually makes me feel better to know that I'm not alone in this regard.

Missing someone while on tour does suck. My wife even approves of and encourages my solo travelling. I am also fortunate that she enjoys touring with me, and we have done both a big west coast and east coast Canadian tour together on the motorcycle, and have another one coming up in May.

I would imagine that having one of your kids on the back of your bike would be an amazing milestone as a motorcycling parent. I would have appreciated that quality time with my dad as a child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldiver View Post
I'm sorry I'll be on the I 80 going west. The US 50 looks like an alright road but too far south for me. I may ride the lincoln highway,(US 30),some as it looks like it may have some cool towns and stuff.

Good luck on your trip. I'm hoping to be able to get the bike out of storage this weekend despite this big ass storm bearing down on us.
Cldiver.... I'm actually driving Route 2 on my way west, which is as far north as one can get. I'm hoping it's got a rural back road feel.

If you'd in Nova Scotia, you'd better be a little patient about riding that bike! Hope the storm doesn't get you down too much! I will be starting up my bike for the first time in the next week or two. It's in a parking garage and it's absolutely filthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTL View Post
Very nice quick blitz thru Canada..I enjoyed the photos and your less than desirable choices of food.
BLT.... Glad you enjoyed the photos and appreciate the greasy goodness of road food!
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:37 AM   #52
Superzoom OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
Thanks for the report, it brings back fond memories. I also rode to Yellowknife in July 2012. It's a small place, I wonder how we missed each other.

Ricard.... Hmm.... Maybe you were standing beside me while up on Bush Pilot's Monument. There was one other guy there. I notice that there aren't a lot of ride reports on Yellowknife. Did you do one?

I enjoyed my day exploring Old Town, and looks like you might have as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antennas View Post
Nice report I enjoyed reading it. I have gone across the country several times but not on a bike yet. Lived in Yellowknife (YK) for 5 years. I miss it, it is a fun place with a lot going for it. I guess you need to live there to know it.

I have the opposite problem from you, I never take the highways and always take way more time than I expect as I am wandering around taking pictures and such. But it's fun and I enjoy it.

Thanks for the pictures of your trip.

Andrew
Andrew.... Sorry if I sound like I wasn't a big fan of Yellowknife. I don't think I was in a great state of mind while I was there, and my sis-in-law can sometimes be a little sombre, so I might have seen the town through a filter of melancholy. I would have liked to have seen more of the fun side. I'm sure you could have shown it to me!

I'm happy that you know how to savour a trip by avoiding highways. I did ride from Toronto to Vancouver a few years ago on a Sportster, and on that trip I took almost entirely back roads and took my time. That was amazing and kind of spiritual. I'm hoping I can get back to that on my next trip.

There's nothing spiritual about speeding along on a busy, multi-lane highway while on a tight schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judomaniak View Post
awesome report with excellent pictures. Been to Yellowknife as a kid, wasn't much there when i was there. Your pictures of all the great scenery make me want to go back, this time on my bike
Judomaniak.... Thanks so much. Hope you make it back on your bike someday. It's interesting revisiting places we knew as kids. I actually find I like them even more as an adult. I didn't even enjoy my first tour of Europe as a 17-year-old with my two brothers. But I really loved travelling in Europe as a 30 and 40-something adult.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:32 AM   #53
cldiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzoom View Post

Cldiver.... I'm actually driving Route 2 on my way west, which is as far north as one can get. I'm hoping it's got a rural back road feel.

If you'd in Nova Scotia, you'd better be a little patient about riding that bike! Hope the storm doesn't get you down too much! I will be starting up my bike for the first time in the next week or two. It's in a parking garage and it's absolutely filthy. !
Geez, I was gearing up to start riding this weekend, 40 freaking cms !!! And the kick to the crotch is Sat is another storm, probably rain...yay? The only good news is after it's all done the temps will be all above zero.
Ont not much better, I saw a lot of cold up there on the weather channel this morning.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:40 AM   #54
MassiveLee
It's a small world

Oddometer: 744
Hmmm... Maximum speed 176Km/h (110MPH) ?

-- Stolen
1990 Honda CBR1000F (the love of my life) -- Sold when son was born
2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current + 2006 BMW R1150GSA aka Kim Kardashian -- Current
MassiveLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:29 AM   #55
Superzoom OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Geez, I was gearing up to start riding this weekend, 40 freaking cms !!! And the kick to the crotch is Sat is another storm, probably rain...yay? The only good news is after it's all done the temps will be all above zero.
Ont not much better, I saw a lot of cold up there on the weather channel this morning.
Cldiver.... I feel for you! And here in Ontario, it feels like this winter had been trying to "make up" for the last few mild winters. I begun to seriously consider moving somewhere more temperate based on our weather (and having Rob Ford as mayor).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveLee View Post
Hmmm... Maximum speed 176Km/h (110MPH) ?
MassiveLee.... Hmmm.... Must have been downhill. Or I got into a helicopter for a brief moment. Notice the entirely reasonable average speed!
Old 03-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #56
cldiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzoom View Post
(and having Rob Ford as mayor).
That made me laugh. That must be getting old, it's like some sort of crazy reality show.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:32 AM   #57
Superzoom OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
That made me laugh. That must be getting old, it's like some sort of crazy reality show.
Sadly, it's not a joke when you're living here. Rob Ford started getting old for me when he tried to start closing public libraries, complaining that there are more libraries than Tim Horton's (false). And I think that was in his first year as mayor.

But enough about politics.... Let's talk about ludicrous weather! The weather here sucks!
Old 03-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #58
Northstar Beemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Nice report -

Solo trips are liberating in their own ways eh?
Northstar Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #59
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
I've enjoyed reading your report, and checking out the images. Great job, especially the mini pirate ship next to the sailboat.

When I tour, I tend to suffer from unspecified anxiety, but I do love my moto trips. Glad to see someone else out there has to work thru issues while riding!

BTW, I tried to vote for your report, but the Advrider tells me my submission failed. I wonder if this page is down?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #60
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 824
Well done!

Thanks and +1 on SWMBO's support to go on a trip, but also missing/wanting her there to share the neat places and people you discover along the way.

Cheers
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote