ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #61
Superzoom OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Superzoom's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto
Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar Beemer View Post
Solo trips are liberating in their own ways eh?
Northstar Beemer.... Yes there are a bunch of things that are liberating about solo trips:

- setting your own schedule
- stopping way too much to take too many photos
- meetings strangers easily
- not getting on your travel partner's nerves
- eating horribly with no one to stop you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
I've enjoyed reading your report, and checking out the images. Great job, especially the mini pirate ship next to the sailboat.

When I tour, I tend to suffer from unspecified anxiety, but I do love my moto trips. Glad to see someone else out there has to work thru issues while riding!

BTW, I tried to vote for your report, but the Advrider tells me my submission failed. I wonder if this page is down?

Cheers,
Steve
AdventurePoser.... The mini pirate ship was pretty hilarious, but seemed kind of normal in a town like Nelson.

I certainly have personal issues when I travel. I'm assuming they are extensions or perhaps extreme manifestations of my true personality, and that is why I find my strange behaviour disturbing. I want to eventually find some kind of inner peace that allows me to be truly patient, independent and open-minded. I'm not sure if I'm progressing towards that or not, but it's a goal.

That's too bad about the faulty voting thing. I didn't even know you could rate reports!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
Well done!

Thanks and +1 on SWMBO's support to go on a trip, but also missing/wanting her there to share the neat places and people you discover along the way.

Cheers
Bobw.... Had to Google "SWMBO"...hilarious!

I'm very surprised at the number of people who've commented on this report saying they understand my odd behaviour. It makes me feel better and more normal. I was kind of afraid of being totally honest. The majority of adventure riders seem to be macho, independent, rugged he-men who don't need no women, or so I thought.

I'm glad there are other souls out there who are willing to admit their own hang ups and (slight) insecurities.
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #62
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bicyclist's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 441
Thanks for the report. Lots of reminders of my trip to Yellowknife last Summer.

Right you are that there aren't many ride reports to that neck of the woods. I went there after riding to Alaska and, for me, it was the high point of the trip. There are so many Alaska reports that it almost seems anticlimactic once you get there. I really enjoyed my time in Yellowknife.

The food was pretty good at the Black Knight.

My report is here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=910511
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:04 AM   #63
Superzoom OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Superzoom's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto
Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclist View Post
Thanks for the report. Lots of reminders of my trip to Yellowknife last Summer.

Right you are that there aren't many ride reports to that neck of the woods. I went there after riding to Alaska and, for me, it was the high point of the trip. There are so many Alaska reports that it almost seems anticlimactic once you get there. I really enjoyed my time in Yellowknife.

The food was pretty good at the Black Knight.

My report is here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=910511
Bicyclist.... Just read your great report. Were you a teacher in another life? I sure learned a lot that I didn't know before! The stuff about their water, sewage, fuel, etc., pretty interesting stuff.

So they finished that bridge? I think I might miss taking the ferry if I were to ever go up there again. I love taking ferries on motorcycle trips as they really make you feel like you are going somewhere remote.

Your Deauville and matching gear look very cool. They make you look like a serious traveller (and your trips up north verify that).

I somehow missed the university girls!
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:51 AM   #64
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Inverary, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 856
Entertaining ride report - thanks.

Your problem is with your choice of bike. It's too fast, too robust, too sensible, too reliable. Next time choose something old, uncomfortable and unreliable. You won't be able to outrun those storms and you're bound to meet lots of folks along the side of the road. Best of all, it will cure your predilection for speed.

Bikes set their own pace and the right bike will cure your dilemma. You'll certainly have plenty of time to smell the Canola and the Bison poo.

Nick
nick949eldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:47 AM   #65
cldiver
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: dartmouth ns
Oddometer: 125
Hi Zoom I took this on highway 11 somewhere, with the super glide

[IMG][/IMG]
cldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:21 AM   #66
Freakhead
Burly Adventurer
 
Freakhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: God's Country, Alberta
Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
Entertaining ride report - thanks.

Your problem is with your choice of bike. It's too fast, too robust, too sensible, too reliable. Next time choose something old, uncomfortable and unreliable. You won't be able to outrun those storms and you're bound to meet lots of folks along the side of the road. Best of all, it will cure your predilection for speed.

Bikes set their own pace and the right bike will cure your dilemma. You'll certainly have plenty of time to smell the Canola and the Bison poo.

Nick
This thread keeps on delivering the advice and laughs!!
Freakhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #67
Superzoom OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Superzoom's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto
Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
Entertaining ride report - thanks.

Your problem is with your choice of bike. It's too fast, too robust, too sensible, too reliable. Next time choose something old, uncomfortable and unreliable. You won't be able to outrun those storms and you're bound to meet lots of folks along the side of the road. Best of all, it will cure your predilection for speed.

Bikes set their own pace and the right bike will cure your dilemma. You'll certainly have plenty of time to smell the Canola and the Bison poo.

Nick
Nick.... There is a lot of truth in your suggestion. I've got my wandering eye firmly fixed on the Yamaha SR400 that's coming to the States (but sadly not to Canada). That would be a great bike upon which to slow down and smell the dung. Of course, the SR400 is probably ridiculously reliable, so the only breakdowns would be mental.

Maybe I can just pull two of my spark plug leads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldiver View Post
Hi Zoom I took this on highway 11 somewhere, with the super glide
Cldiver.... Gotta get that obligatory shot! They should add a silhouette of a motorcyclist to that sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakhead View Post
This thread keeps on delivering the advice and laughs!!
Freakhead.... I'm loving the feedback. This trip happened almost two years ago, and it's nice to relive it with fellow motorcyclists.
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #68
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Inverary, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzoom View Post
Nick.... There is a lot of truth in your suggestion. I've got my wandering eye firmly fixed on the Yamaha SR400 that's coming to the States (but sadly not to Canada). That would be a great bike upon which to slow down and smell the dung. Of course, the SR400 is probably ridiculously reliable, so the only breakdowns would be mental.

Maybe I can just pull two of my spark plug leads.
Superzoom - I wasn't really joking. You owe it to yourself to get a classic bike to explore, wrench on and ride everywhere. I'm sure the SR400 would probably be fun, but it's just another modern bike.

You need something that has points and carbs, maybe leaks a little oil from time to time, vibrates, loses the occasional critical part, definitely needs tubes, and tops out not far off your cruising speed. It will alter your perspective on the world.

It doesn't mean you can't undertake massive distances and crazy rides, it just adds multitudinous layers of additional suffering (to see what I mean, check out Day 7 of my Labrador trip, below).

Nick
nick949eldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #69
Superzoom OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Superzoom's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto
Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
Superzoom - I wasn't really joking. You owe it to yourself to get a classic bike to explore, wrench on and ride everywhere. I'm sure the SR400 would probably be fun, but it's just another modern bike.

You need something that has points and carbs, maybe leaks a little oil from time to time, vibrates, loses the occasional critical part, definitely needs tubes, and tops out not far off your cruising speed. It will alter your perspective on the world.

It doesn't mean you can't undertake massive distances and crazy rides, it just adds multitudinous layers of additional suffering (to see what I mean, check out Day 7 of my Labrador trip, below).

Nick
Nick.... Here are some of my previous bikes:

- 1980 Yamaha XS400 Heritage Special
- had electrical problems
- 1972 Suzuki T250 (two-stroke)
- had one of the pistons explode on me while on a long tour
- 1980 Yamaha 250 Exciter
- 1982 Honda CB650 SC Nighthawk
- had plenty of trouble starting it up every spring
- 1978 Honda CB550
- loved the bike; the cam chain tensioner died on it
- 2008 Harley 1200R Sportster
- zero problems but lots of character

As you can see, I've had LOTS of old, crappy bikes with tons of character and tons of flaws. I did most of the maintenance on them. I both loved and hated them (but mostly loved).

But I am DONE with cool, old bikes. I would rather have something that evokes a period past than something that IS old. Too many mechanical problems, headaches and heartaches. One of the inmates has a sig line, "I'd rather ride a boring reliable bike than push an interesting one," or something to that effect. Bingo.

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" is a very cool book, but it's probably waylaid a few generations of motorcyclists who think half the experience is fixing broken-down bikes. I have deep respect for anyone who can fix their own bike, but I would much rather concentrate on the riding part of it.

But that's just me. I totally understand those who love old bikes and love maintaining and riding them. It's just a different experience. Both good!
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #70
Superzoom OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Superzoom's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto
Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
It doesn't mean you can't undertake massive distances and crazy rides, it just adds multitudinous layers of additional suffering (to see what I mean, check out Day 7 of my Labrador trip, below).

Nick
Nick.... I remember your report. It was epic and awesome. And your breakdown was case-in-point for me! But no doubt part of the fun/challenge for you.

Respect!
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #71
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Inverary, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzoom View Post
Nick.... I remember your report. It was epic and awesome. And your breakdown was case-in-point for me! But no doubt part of the fun/challenge for you.

Respect!
Superzoom: The dirty secret is I do have a modern bike in my stable (2007 Guzzi Breva 1100), and if I absolutely have to be somewhere in a hurry, that's the one I take. It would handily have done your trip to Yellowknife and comfortably at the same speeds.

Nice list of bikes you have had, although I would argue that none of them really come into the category I was thinking of. Too industrial: Toyotas, not Alfas.

What I was (perhaps incoherently) getting at was there is a different sensation to riding some old bikes which can be a genuine substitute for speed. I get far more pleasure and genuine thrill from riding my latest acquisition (Guzzi Nuovo Falcone) at 80kph, than the Breva, or any other bike I've ridden at 180. I'll take my chances with the breakdowns.

But - different strokes.........I was just trying to point you towards a way of gaining m/c pleasure without losing your licence - because by golly, you've been lucky so far!

Anyway, a most excellent report. I enjoyed it a lot - the food, the pictures, and most of all, I enjoyed your honesty about your feelings.

All the best

Nick

(edit) I should have read your profile 'dream bike' comment first. It explains everything! We're from different planets: over and out. Best. N.
nick949eldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #72
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 1,215
Sweet RR, Superzoom

Thoroughly enjoyed it! Great pictures, too!

Was a little surprised no US peeps asked aboot the coffee crisp lol ;)

Firstgear Kenya jacket- excellent. Love mine.

Ride more, write more!
L.B.S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #73
space
a.k.a. Jake
 
space's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, CA
Oddometer: 2,600


Great report and great photos! It's been 7 years since my last big ride through Canada. Way too long. Thanks for the reminder that I need to get back up there some day soon.

And love the dry sense of humor. You're worried about your friend because her job is "up in the air"? That's a joke, right? I speak sarcasm quite fluently, but dammit I can't tell if you're joking.
space is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #74
TorontoAlex
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Oddometer: 50
Very nice trip. I drove to Vancouver and two years later back to Whitby. Wish I could have done it on my unreliable cb750 at the time. I'd like to go to the Yukon and Alaska from T.O.

I get the guilty feeling when on vacation. Usually dissipates for me about 5 days into my trips. I've gone home early twice now back country camping due to anxiety for work etc. Sucks balls and I regretted it big time. No more. From now on, when I go on vacation, I forget everything. I think I will try to reduce my workload a few weeks before leaving and after returning from trips.
TorontoAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:57 AM   #75
Superzoom OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Superzoom's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto
Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
But - different strokes.........I was just trying to point you towards a way of gaining m/c pleasure without losing your licence - because by golly, you've been lucky so far!

Anyway, a most excellent report. I enjoyed it a lot - the food, the pictures, and most of all, I enjoyed your honesty about your feelings.

All the best

Nick

(edit) I should have read your profile 'dream bike' comment first. It explains everything! We're from different planets: over and out. Best. N.
Nick.... I know I recorded some ludicrous top speeds, but I would usually try to hit "the ton" once a day just for laughs and to wake myself up. I don't speed on a regular basis. I've got a total of two speeding tickets in a total of 27 years of driving bikes and cars, one for 16 kph over, and one for 15!

But I do understand your point.

And I guess I tricked you! I happened to update my profile just yesterday, and things you said were on my mind! If I put more thought into it, I might list my dream bike as a 1978 CB550 with a full engine overhaul (and EFI, since this is just a dream), and with modern suspension and brakes. No kidding, this would be awesome to me, as that CB550 was one of the coolest, most enjoyable bikes I've ever owned. That I would be happy to tool around on forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by space View Post


Great report and great photos! It's been 7 years since my last big ride through Canada. Way too long. Thanks for the reminder that I need to get back up there some day soon.

And love the dry sense of humor. You're worried about your friend because her job is "up in the air"? That's a joke, right? I speak sarcasm quite fluently, but dammit I can't tell if you're joking.
Space.... "Up in the air" may have been unintentional, believe it or not! Must have been subconscious. But I am flattered that you would think I might be clever enough to have written it with humorous intent.

I love hearing about Americans visiting Canada. The more we know about each other, the better. Both Canada and the U.S. are amazing countries in so many ways. I love touring both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoAlex View Post
Very nice trip. I drove to Vancouver and two years later back to Whitby. Wish I could have done it on my unreliable cb750 at the time. I'd like to go to the Yukon and Alaska from T.O.

I get the guilty feeling when on vacation. Usually dissipates for me about 5 days into my trips. I've gone home early twice now back country camping due to anxiety for work etc. Sucks balls and I regretted it big time. No more. From now on, when I go on vacation, I forget everything. I think I will try to reduce my workload a few weeks before leaving and after returning from trips.
TorontoAlex.... I too consider going to Alaska by motorcycle, but am a little intimidated by the weather and the BUGS. But it seems absolutely worth it according to most reports.

It's a terrible thing for work to intrude on your enjoyment of real life (and by real life I mean everything but work). You must have either a job that requires a lot of personal attention, or you have a lot of responsibility. But they say that no one on their deathbed ever said, "I wish I spent more time at the office." I would imagine that BECAUSE your job seems so intense that you need your vacations even more. I hope you learn to take them, enjoy them, and feel that you deserve them.

I guess for myself I feel like I don't "deserve" to travel, as my career (as a filmmaker) is barely off the ground. I've gotta work this s**t out!
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014