Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #181
cele0001 OP
Instigator

Oddometer: 248
[QUOTE=sykospain;24678980]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cele0001 View Post
.... you are always welcome to send me a PM regarding any issues you might have with the product. [ but ] I will not be making any more. .....

Darn, Esmir; I only just saw this fascinating thread and it seems I've now missed the chance of asking you to add me to your next batch of spacer kits. Such a pity, as my lovely 2004 Rockster bought only last week on eBay is already clunking and slopping-about as a precursor to a clutch input-shaft spline strip.
Please may i ask you to reconsider organising further supplies of your innovative scheme in the absence of any offers of a factory solution from the Quandt gang in Berlin Spandau ?
Regards,
ALAN in s.e. Spain, but currently in the UK
Thank you for your interest but I am currently not planning another run. ON the positive note there are many things that will make R1150 run rough and make noises and most of them are not clutch splines. If you want to do a good check remove the starter, ziptie the clutch lever and see how much play you have on the shaft. The procedure is described in quite a few threads but if you need further guidance let me know.
Esmir
cele0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:48 AM   #182
sykospain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
BMW 1150GS Clutch Splines spacer kit

Hi again Esmir,
Been away on hols for a week so I've only just seen your suggestion of checking the amount of play by removing the starter & pulling the clutch lever. When I peer in there, do I shuffle the friction plate to-&-fro with a screwdriver or see if it rotates on worn splines - or something ?
Thanks in anticipation.
ALAN in s.e. Sapin
sykospain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #183
cele0001 OP
Instigator

Exactly,when the clutch lever is pulled in, use a pick or thin screwdriver to move the plate to see how much play there is.If you have 5-6mm of play (rotating) it is definitely worn and in need of attention
Old 08-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #184
sykospain
Adventurer

Esmir's Clutch Hub Spacer mod

Hi, Think I might have sourced a UK CNC workshop willing to reinvigorate Esmir's Spacer Kit, the idea that he has - hopefully only temporarily - abandoned.
My guy in Oldham will maybe provide just the spacer in batch runs of 10 at a time for around 50 / $90 each.
And my local motor engineering workshop will do the not-simple task of de- and re- rivetting the hub with the interposed spacer.
My question - looking at Chris Harris's 2 hour video tutorial on U-Toob tearing down the back end of a 6-speeder, a video which I've thinned down to only 1 hour and 5 mins., I assume it's possible to remove the entire rear drive with shaft and gearbox as a single unit before getting at the clutch.
Would you say that for the average Weekend Warrior who's replumbed a house and refurbished a shot K75 drive shaft, this would be a 'tacklable task' ?
Regards,
ALAN in s.e. Spain, on hols in UK
Old 08-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #185
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,109
With a pair of extra hands, you can tear one down and put it back together in 12 hours. Faster if one of you has done it before.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:58 AM   #186
sykospain
Adventurer

Thanks for that - my pal in Spain has a 6-speed GS, same 2004 vintage as my Rockster and similar mileage. So we'll toss a coin to see which of the 2 bikes we practise on before doing the other !
Old 08-08-2014, 06:36 AM   #187
cele0001 OP
Instigator

Granted I had the pleasure of taking the transmission out of my Rockster 4 times now and I have removed the airbox and installed Uni filters to make the task easier, but my last removal took under and hour. Installation took about 2 1/2 with chit chat.
First time around your biggest problem will be the airbox.
Make sure you strap the front wheel to the center stand.
Fuel quick disconnects are very touchy so you might as well buy some and replace them when you do it.
As an update I will have another batch of 10 spacers made. There are a couple of people that should have gotten one last time around and they didn't (my mistake) and it has been bothering me a little.
I will post expected availability date when I have it.
Esmir
Old 08-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #188
sykospain
Adventurer

More Spacers ? Thank Goodness ! !

Quote:
As an update I will have another batch of 10 spacers made. There are a couple of people that should have gotten one last time around and they didn't (my mistake) and it has been bothering me a little.
I will post expected availability date when I have it.
Esmir
BRILLIANT NEWS !
Put me down for TWO please Esmir - one for my 33K mile Rockster and the other for my pal Mo and his 2004 1150GS with 30K on the clock.
You've made my day !
Thanks, ALAN in s.e. Spain - PayPal member since 2001
Old 08-14-2014, 05:06 AM   #189
cele0001 OP
Instigator

I have been told I should have the parts in 2 weeks.

If somebody has a flywheel from R1150XX that is useless to them let me know I need to buy one.
Let me know.
Esmir

cele0001 screwed with this post 08-14-2014 at 06:04 AM
Old 08-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #190
sykospain
Adventurer

Clutch Disc Hub Spacers

Quote:
I have been told I should have the parts in 2 weeks.

If somebody has a flywheel from R1150XX that is useless to them let me know I need to buy one.
Let me know.
Esmir
Quote:
I have been told I should have the parts in 2 weeks. Esmir
Great news !

My local machinist, Peter, wants to try the de-rivet job on the clutch friction plate this way - see pics. to download from my webpage:-

http://www.voiceoversbysykes.com/dow...hCentreing.jpg

and

http://www.voiceoversbysykes.com/dow...t_on_Lathe.jpg

...an interesting idea from an experienced engineer; he says he can cut the heads from the OEM flat rivets to within a paper-thickness of the backing disc and then just gently push them through the assembly to extract them, instead of risking damage to the friction plate by waving a grinder or a hammer-and-punch-and-drill-bits about - much more precise, it seems to me.
And for any Brit or Euro-based 6-speeders who are concerned about premature input spline wear, he's the guy to contact once you have your Esmir spacers. PM me for Peter's address and nominal charge details. I came across this retired engineer's workshop purely by chance whilst trying to source a local CNC-er to produce spacers, before I got the news from Esmir that more of his proven spacers would be on offer. Yippee...

Peter rides a beautifully restored Kwaker 1500 Harley-lookalike in powder blue which he's rescued from a basket case. Great work - but it's still a Kromed-Up-Kawa...

Trouble with sending you a flywheel Esmir is the weight - it has to come to you from a local USA rider, methinks. As it's for the next stage of your SplineWear Solution Project, I'm sure one will be forthcoming...
ALAN in s.e. Spain
Old 08-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #191
cele0001 OP
Instigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykospain View Post
...an interesting idea from an experienced engineer; he says he can cut the heads from the OEM flat rivets to within a paper-thickness of the backing disc and then just gently push them through the assembly to extract them, instead of risking damage to the friction plate by waving a grinder or a hammer-and-punch-and-drill-bits about - much more precise, it seems to me.

ALAN in s.e. Spain

If you have access to lathe it is not a bad way to go about it.
If you don't, with a little bit of patience you should end up with the same results.

Couple of pages up there is a description by Jimmy about how he did his install. This is a pretty good guide for those with basic tools.
EDIT: now it is right under this post.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #192
cele0001 OP
Instigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
I've had the spacer for a while but finally got some time to install it. Here are a few pics of the removal and install of the spacer. Thought they may be helpful.

Center punched then drilled out the original rivets using 3 different drills. Started with a 1/8 to get things started. next was slightly smaller than the hole. The last one is oversized and takes the rivet head right off.

All the parts ready to assemble.

Obtained the correct rivet set and air hammer. Ready to go.

Used the anvil to set the rivet.

Ready to install.
It is worth bumping this.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #193
cele0001 OP
Instigator

Quote:
Hello everybody.
Some new input on this subject regarding modified clutch hub. This is what I have been playing with for the past month or so.

Thank you for your time.

I wanted to "freshen up" the thread a little. It was getting a little dry without pictures.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:33 AM   #194
sykospain
Adventurer

Clutch Disc Hub Spacers

Clutch Disc Hub Spacers

Engineering update from the UK -

Peter the Lathe Man ended up doing it Jimmy's way; the lathe idea was too complicated, getting the cutter to shave off fractions of a micro mm at each pass of the tool. Too laborious.

So he did the centre-punch, three sizes of drill-bit method. la Jimmy.

But he asked "why not just machine a complete new splined hub in EN 43 or whatever, that's 6mm longer ?" Expense I suppose - ask Esmir.

http://www.voiceoversbysykes.com/dow...M_SachsHub.jpg

http://www.voiceoversbysykes.com/dow...toLengthen.jpg

BTW, a good idea in freshening up the thread with repeats of the pix.

ALAN heading off from UK on Sunday for home in s.e. Spain
Old 08-15-2014, 06:49 AM   #195
cele0001 OP
Instigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykospain View Post
Clutch Disc Hub Spacers

But he asked "why not just machine a complete new splined hub in EN 43 or whatever, that's 6mm longer ?" Expense I suppose - ask Esmir.
In my case it was effort and cost.
Once you get into splines it is a completely different game. It is specialized equipment. I also didn't want to get into the metallurgy aspect of splines (hardness and what not).
If somebody can produce a splined hub that is the right material and 6mm longer for a reasonable price I am out of business. I have no problem with that. Free market.
I don't machine the parts myself so my expense is higher than somebody who has equipment and materials already.