User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #106
UnDealership
BMW Master tech

Oddometer: 2
I like this idea!

I was asked to talk to a guy about his 1150rt a few days ago. Seems he has a main seal weep and will be needing a seal job. I explained that I was a master tech for BMW and I am now running my own shop. I'd be happy to reseal his engine/trans, and while in there we should do his clutch too. He then said he might like to add "this clutch spacer" and I had no idea what he was talking about.

He went on about how these input shafts are getting all ground up. I again looked at him like I had no idea what he was talking about.

Doing I have no idea how many clutches....I think I've only replaced one input shaft due this type of problem (in a little over 6 years at a dealership). If I recall correctly, it was the R1100 series that had more of a problem with this. AND, it was usually the clutch hub that went, not the shaft (in the 6 years I worked there....this is what I saw).

I am happy to see people fixing the things that BMW has ignored. Looks like you have made a quality part. And if you had the clutch plates made riveted by someone to reduce your exposure to part failure.....why would people buy the stock disc? Seems like a no brainer to buy your disc!

Nice work!

Sean
The UnDealership
UnDealership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #107
motoyoyo
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I came here from the R1100S forum where we have the same issue with our clutch splines. Esmir, I like what you have done here by offering just what we need in a kit for a reasonable price. I am interested to see what you come up with for the rivited hub kit and assembly tool. It think the rivets are the way to go with this assembly. I'll be in for a kit with rivets. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #108
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,059
Can the ceramic Sachs clutch be riveted with your parts? I liked the feel of the TT clutch on my last GSA. To put one together for less than the multi-appendage price that TT asks for would be great!
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #109
cele0001 OP
Instigator

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoyoyo View Post
I came here from the R1100S forum where we have the same issue with our clutch splines. Esmir, I like what you have done here by offering just what we need in a kit for a reasonable price. I am interested to see what you come up with for the rivited hub kit and assembly tool. It think the rivets are the way to go with this assembly. I'll be in for a kit with rivets. Thanks.
This is what I have received a couple of days ago as a prototype. It is a little different idea than original but it should be functional. I will test it when I put mine together. I have not received the price but I am afraid it will be more expensive than my original idea.
Open to suggestions.

Here is bottom

with rivets

top, recess is to allow the hub to fit. Hole on top is really not needed.

stack (i put two spacers together since I didnt have the hub, hub is about 3 mm thinner).All we need is force. I have to figure out if 20ton is enough.

cele0001 screwed with this post 04-14-2014 at 02:03 PM
cele0001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #110
Boomer343
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hey Esmir,
Decided to sign up here and share in the discussion.

I would be concerned with being able to control the set up of the tool you show in a press. Alignment issues with the stacked parts and the possibility of having the parts come flying out of the press due to an off center situation and the tool cocking. I have a great respect for parts under pressure in a press.

My method will be to use 3 bolts with nuts to hold the parts in alignment. Support a rivet on a solid surface and have the whole assembly supported then use my air chisel with a large blunt attachment to flatten the rivet.
Step and repeat in a crisscross pattern then remove the 3 bolts and rivet those holes.

BTW the drive shaft as BMW calls it that was back ordered has been shipped so hopefully I can start and complete this little job in the near future.
Boomer343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #111
cele0001 OP
Instigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer343 View Post
Hey Esmir,
Decided to sign up here and share in the discussion.

I would be concerned with being able to control the set up of the tool you show in a press. Alignment issues with the stacked parts and the possibility of having the parts come flying out of the press due to an off center situation and the tool cocking. I have a great respect for parts under pressure in a press.

My method will be to use 3 bolts with nuts to hold the parts in alignment. Support a rivet on a solid surface and have the whole assembly supported then use my air chisel with a large blunt attachment to flatten the rivet.
Step and repeat in a crisscross pattern then remove the 3 bolts and rivet those holes.

BTW the drive shaft as BMW calls it that was back ordered has been shipped so hopefully I can start and complete this little job in the near future.
That sounds like a plan, the only limiting factor is how close is hub slope to the rivet. There is not a lot of room to keep the end centered on the rivet. This is why, I put indentations on the top die, to keep them where I want them. As far as parts flying out under the press, there is no real danger since there is no "spring" anywhere in the system, I will take a picture from the side on the press to show it a little better.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #112
TXBikerScum
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Just saw this linked on the pelican forum. Are you accepting any more on the wait list? If so, count me in.
TXBikerScum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #113
Vin
Addict

Oddometer: 67
r1200

Please tell me this is not an issue on the '09 1200. I've had my fuel gage, final drive and rear shock fail - and don't care to have another issue lurking.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:56 PM   #114
cele0001 OP
Instigator

It is not the same setup
Old 04-15-2014, 04:43 AM   #115
cele0001 OP
Instigator

BMW 1150GS Clutch Splines spacer kit

Here is the next waitilist. I need to rethink the order process since it is taking some effort to keep track of people and not piss anybody off.

Motoyoyo
TxBikerScum
motodutch
Flatbutt.
Ez-rider
Azccj
Clamrider.
wctan72
mouserc96

cele0001 screwed with this post 05-13-2014 at 04:42 AM
Old 04-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #116
flatbutt
n00b

cele...please count me in for a kit. BTW this will fit a '99 R11S, yes?

flatbutt screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 03:22 PM
flatbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #117
vertible
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I am subscribing to keep an eye on this, looks like a great idea!
vertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #118
motoyoyo
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cele0001 View Post
Here is the next waitilist. I need to rethink the order process since it is taking some effort to keep track of people and not piss anybody off.
Ha, this is the internet...you are guaranteed to piss some people off even if you gave this away for free :) Anyway, I like the idea of keeping it as a simple kit that requires the buyer to at least have some skills to put it all together themselves. Let the buyer take some of the risk of assembly off your back.

I think the assembly setup for the rivets you are proposing is a little more than you need to do. It also may introduce some assembly error due to improper use of a hydraulic press. I would suggest just providing the basic part with rivets and an additional 4 bolts and nuts for fixtureing the assembly.

The assembly can be held securely in place with the four bolts evenly spaced, while four rivets are pressed or punched individually. Once four rivets are are secured, the bolts can be removed and the remaining four rivets can be installed. A simple punch or arbor press should be all that is needed to set the rivets.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:26 AM   #119
cele0001 OP
Instigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
cele...please count me in for a kit. BTW this will fit a '99 R11S, yes?
It will fit 1100S with 6 speed transmission, I think 99 was the first year.
It will also fit 5 speed chromeheads but I need additional info on that (maybe somebody knows)
Old 04-18-2014, 06:03 PM   #120
ez-rider
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cele0001 View Post
It will fit 1100S with 6 speed transmission, I think 99 was the first year.
It will also fit 5 speed chromeheads but I need additional info on that (maybe somebody knows)
I would be interested in a set for my R1100S if you are still doing them.
What is the price plus shipping ?

Tom

ez-rider screwed with this post 04-18-2014 at 06:14 PM
ez-rider is offline   Reply With Quote