http://www.ktm950.info/

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #17
hubrus OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Thank you for your posts! Keep up!

@ Bowser

I was going through your post and asking myself, I should have started this thread BEFORE I bought my bike.

"or you could just ride the bike and find that KTM actually produced a pretty good bike out of the box and MOST (if any) of it isn’t needed"

My kind of humor, feeling at home now

@ Jdeks

You have a very good point! In my understanding the root cause for relocating the kick stand, rises the same concern regarding the installation of crash bars. I'm sure the crash bars will be very usefull for some extent, but it might defeat the purpose in case you crash in the "sweet spot".

I like the idea of carbon fiber panels, however $$$$ I suppose.
hubrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #18
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 440
Seems to me the crash bar debate is a lot like the knee brace debate. Some think the braces will do more damage than good, but others (like me) swear that using them has saved them from countless injuries that would have resulted without them. And, it should be said that certain types of crashes will no doubt result in a potential in increased injury as a result of using them, but that statement easily goes the other way as well.

What I haven't seen is anyone really posting pics, stories, proof that using them causes more damage to the bike. The weight savings for removing them isn't that significant in my book to warrant removing them.

I'm sure there are plenty of riders/owners that aren't aware of the side stand relocation as a must do mod and until now they have been just fine without doing it. But, the day it finally happens they will discover/wish they had known about it and performed the mod. To me that is the same with the skid plate. It is simply insurance against the unexpected event that may otherwise leave you stranded. The undercarriage of the bike has to be one of the most vulnerable places on the bike if you are doing any kind of off road. For me it was a buy once, cry once scenario and I got the best plate available so I wouldn't have to worry about spending good money twice.

There are plenty of mods that can wait to be done, but my advice is do the following a minimum...

-- side relocator
-- skid plate
-- fork springs for your weight
-- and if you bought a used bike I'd do all general preventative maintenance for peace of mind. Heck, I practically fully dismantle new bikes just so I can be sure they are put together correctly, add anti-seize to the right places, proper torque, etc. Every time I find something that wasn't done right.

ben
Old 03-26-2014, 08:44 AM   #19
bikepharmer
Baja is on the way

Oddometer: 122
Aux fan is nice

And easy to install. Plug and play. I am mixed on skid. Stock is ok for tarmac. If you hammer it like the Osos the BDCW is necessary.
bikepharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #20
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
let me put this in perspective:-

I have or was fitted when I bought the bike, modified my screen, pivot pegs, underseat tank, taken the ABS off, fitted side stand relocater, spotlights, Renzaco seat, heated grips, crash bars, TT panniers, Oberon slave cylinder, HDB handguards and mirrors, high front fender, GIT bash plate, side stand bigfoot, akro exhausts and Sat Nav, plus a whole bunch of orange covers and stuff, fork bleeders.

But with the exception of the sidestand relocater/panniers/sat nav and heated grips, I don't NEED any of it, but its nice to have
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #21
Bugman98
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
I think the mods that have contributed most to my enjoyment of the bike are
1. Revalve and respiring the fork: Wow what a difference! Highly recommended
2. 2-1 exhaust with FMF muffler: sounds nice, weighs less, and now I can keep my food in the L pannier without heat from the exhaust cooking it!
3. Anything that makes maintenance easier: oil tank valve and drain tube; crash bar stud/bolt mod. Maintenance is a pain on these bikes!
4. Aeroflow wind wings: look kinda funny, but do a lot to smooth out airflow when riding/touring on pavement. Cheaper than the bigger windshield and effective too.

I haven't done the side stand relocation, and don't think it is as critical as everyone makes it out to be. Maybe I'm naive, but in all my years on this forum the main cause of engine damage from the side stand seems to occur when the side stand is impacted by large objects while riding (rocks, trees, etc). I decided that if I ever have to ride a trail that requires me to pick a path through large watermelon sized rocks, I'm going to turn around and go home!
But I think it's only a $100 mod, so most folks look at it as insurance.

I just did part of the Trans America Trail a couple weeks ago and WISH I had done the following:
Bigger/wider foot pegs (this is really only necessary if you stand on the pegs all day)
Soft luggage instead of hard cases: when your bike falls over the hard cases can get misshapen and difficult to reinstall
Larger luggage rack on back

Something that no one has mentioned is that since you bought a 990, you may want to install a switch to turn the ABS completely off. This is useful if you ride a lot of dirt. Apparently the ABS can be turned off, but turns itself back on if you have to restart the bike. I was riding with a guy who has a 990 and he said that it was a major pain until he installed a switch.

But if you plan to ride 80% pavement and only 20% dirt roads, I'd put some Continental Trail Attacks on those wheels and have some fun!
Bugman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:50 PM   #22
hubrus OP
Adventurer

Regarding the crash bars and skid plate, is there safe fixing points in the bike frame?

Certainly they are desirable, as long as don't cause more harm than good.

If I can figure out those fixation points I can build a custom crash bar, and perhaps having the skid plate integrated.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #23
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,333
I think it's all been already covered in this thread.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769525
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #24
jimmy650
South Canol Racing Club

Oddometer: 391
I have a 2007 990 with about 35k on it. I haven't really done much to it... the WP suspension is great. I've done a lot of off-road, and have had no problems. The stock skid plate, front fender, hand guards, etc. are all fine. I didn't add crash bars... just adds weight, so I have a few scratches.

I dropped the countershaft sprocket one tooth and run knobbies... that's all.
2006 Alcan5000 Winner
jimmy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #25
woodchuckexc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
My favorite mod to date is far and away the suspension upgrade provided by SuperPlush Suspension out of SF Ca.
woodchuckexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:57 PM   #26
advrockrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
I bought my bike used with the following mods done, because they were done.
Skid plate: I ride a lot of jeep trails, so its a must have, oso style!
I added: Side stand relocater, if I didn't it would be my luck that I hadn't, plus I got a good deal in the flea market.
Suspension, superplush, love it, I'm a fat ass, it makes me fast!
Gobi boxes, good for the street, sucks for the dirt and sand!
G2 throttle cam, its good I guess because I don't know any better?
Crash bars because it had them, would I have baught them?
Stock wind screen, again I don't know any better?
I added: 08 with ABS, I added a cut of switch, its good on the street but will kill you in the dirt if you forget to turn it off!!!
I added: Picked up some soft bags for Baja, I want to keep my legs in one peace in the sand.
New chain and sprokets at 27k,16-45, I think it was over do.
I added: CJ rear rack, if you want to carry anything you need something to put it on.
Fuel pump and water pump are stock as far as I know, if I run out of fuel or start leaking water I will figure it out, that's what makes an adventure!
Heated grips, came with them, one works the other doesn't? I live in California and ride baja so its not a big deal.
New knobby tires because they look good and work good. This bitch eats tires no matter what kind!
I added: Head light, a must have for deer country that I live in. Will add some leds before long.
I added: CJ oil change hose, makes life easier. Could have done it myself but the internet is fast and easy. CJ makes goods stuff......
I added: FMF exhaust because the stock was heavy and put out a lot of head, found a good deal in the flea market.
Rebuilt clutch master because it leaked from day one.
Want: CJ design peg extenders because I stand up a lot.
Ride the shit out of her and do what fits your style as you have the money. IMO
Hope this helps.
advrockrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:24 AM   #27
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 937
Dont want to highjack the thread too much so I'll make answer these points and leave it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubrus
I like the idea of carbon fiber panels, however $$$$ I suppose.
My carbon fiber guards cost about 60% of a set of crash bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourbl
What I haven't seen is anyone really posting pics, stories, proof that using them causes more damage to the bike. The weight savings for removing them isn't that significant in my book to warrant removing them.
The weight savings are very much significant. A couple of kilos vs under 400g. Personally, I found and immediate and noticeable difference in handling improvement sand. As for damage, I don't have pics - they weren't my bike and we were more concerned with fixing it - so I guess as far as the Internet is concerned, it didn't happen. But I can tell three stories:

1. Fellow caught a rut and ran into the gutter ditch between the road and the cutting embankment. Dug the right side into the dirt wall @ about 40kph . Rear clamp on the crashbar slipped down, the frame whole assembly twisted inwards and back. Crushed the upper fairing, twisted the lower bolt point, split the lower tank mount, unpatchable fuel leak.
  2. Big bloke, front end washout at ~70kph on rocky gravel road. Came down hard. Crash bars crumpled in far enough to rip the upper fairing out, twisting the bolts that attach it to the tank, cracking around the bolt inserts in the tank. Also bent the fuck out of the alum plate the lower points bolt into, made it impossible to bolt the tank back on when we patched it.
  3. Last guy overcooked a corner, went off the road,clipped a stump. Rear mount clamp failed (teeth deformed, hinge bolt failed) impact twisted bars inwards. Somehow the mangled rear clamp ended up dropping down, caught the head pipe and then punched inwards, between the frame and the engine BIG deep gouge in the rear cylinder wall. Fuel tank cracked at lower mount.
All three were fairly serious crashes, but all three riders walked away... the bikes, however....

You might say the CF guards wouldn't have faired any better, but I'm fairly confident they would have, because I've put mine through a some very similar incidents, including a fairly hefty front quarter impact followed by a high-side, and an almost exact recreation for the dtich incident). All I came out with was scratches. The bars catch on shit, where the guards just slide, and they lack a top brace point to resist inwards twist.

Pretty much every 950 I've seen thats either been raced or at least run by aggressive, experienced riders, doesn't have bars. There are a few exceptions out there (Pyndon comes to mind) but those guys usually have modified them with crossbracing. And run CF guards as well.

Keep in mind - the 950RR was designed to run with a parts truck following it around. I know this ain't an option for most of us, but sadly it means that solid crash bar mounts were never a factor in the design. In fact, the whole forward alum subframe for the battery (which 2 of the three mount points for the bars bolt onto) was cobbled on as an afterthought to the commercial bikes purely to make servicing easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuckexc View Post
My favorite mod to date is far and away the suspension upgrade provided by SuperPlush Suspension out of SF Ca.
This plus 1000. The front end is terribly under sprung. Almost dangerous. If I could go back, that would be by far the first thing I'd have dropped coin on.
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:44 AM   #28
JohnnyWaffles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Some of you guys have me strongly considering getting rid of the crash bars that came with mine. I'm not too concerned about road damage...my off-road toys always get beat up eventually. Plus I can get some replaceable covers. I'm big on weight savings and I do see situations where the crash bars catching on stuff would make it worse, rather than sliding off the obstacle.
The KTM is the kind of bike you take behind the middle school and get pregnant. It's the kind of bike that, from the moment you light the fire, you know is downright nasty and makes you want to meet in the Burger King bathroom and lick its butthole.
JohnnyWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #29
hubrus OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post
My carbon fiber guards cost about 60% of a set of crash bars.

The weight savings are very much significant.

All three were fairly serious crashes, but all three riders walked away... the bikes, however....

Pretty much every 950 I've seen thats either been raced or at least run by aggressive, experienced riders, doesn't have bars. There are a few exceptions out there (Pyndon comes to mind) but those guys usually have modified them with crossbracing. And run CF guards as well.

Keep in mind - the 950RR was designed to run with a parts truck following it around.
Those are very interesting arguments. Based on what I learned in this thread:

a. Conventional crash bars doesn't have proper fixation points in the sub-frame;
b. In some circumstances can cause more harm than good, or be noneffective;
c. Most competitors doesn't use them, even with a support truck behind, if the crash bar protection save any time they would...I guess;
c. CF is 60% cheaper than conventional steel... and lighter.

I'm leaning towards to not install anything or going for CF (please send me more info).
Old 03-27-2014, 08:17 AM   #30
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,619
I removed my crashbars for many of the reasons posted. Plenty of reasons to keep them, but not for me.

I have personally seen a 950 take a hit from a rock on a fairly easy dirt road, cracking the case.

It would be first on my list.

Even Achilles had a heel.

Small, but fatal.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote