ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #31
deacon51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Are we confirmed for the 27th?
If so, I'm in... ish.
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #32
Sidecar Jockey OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Should i grab the SV or borrow a dirtbike somewhere....
My riding buddy has a 2008 SV650 S, and he has done most of the roads on this route, including the water crossings, on his SV and was running the stock tires. Your SV will be just fine...

The worst / most treacherous part(s) will be the gravel roads. It seems like this time of year the road maintenance people like to add fresh gravel. They start out a bit overzealous and make it pretty deep, but get lazy at the end and just dump some piles of gravel every few feet along the road. I'm sure its a great use of my tax dollars, but I much prefer hard pack or dirt to fresh loose gravel...

Sidecar Jockey screwed with this post 04-07-2014 at 03:15 PM
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #33
Sidecar Jockey OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon51 View Post
Are we confirmed for the 27th?
If so, I'm in... ish.
Yep, April 27. Meet at 10:00 am. I hope you can make it
Old 04-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #34
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
My riding buddy has a 2008 SV650 S, and he has done most of the roads on this route, including the water crossings, on his SV and was running the stock tires. Your SV will be just fine...
The only piece of equipment that isn't up to the task is the nut holding the seat down.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #35
Sidecar Jockey OP
Studly Adventurer

I gave the ride route a 'shakedown run' yesterday evening. I probably wont do this for future rides, since exploring and getting lost is half the fun for me, but I wanted our maiden voyage to go smoothly. I found one road with a locked gate, so I made some minor modification to the route:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...30966,0.543823

Also, some of the gravel roads have pretty deep gravel in spots. Most if it is 'normal' road gravel, but some if it is the golf ball sized stuff. I'm still saying its big bike friendly, we'll just go slow and take it easy on these sections. (the gnarly gravel is on 3 different roads for between 200 yards and 1/2 mile at a time... its not terrible).

Here is a teaser photo of the first water crossing:

I got cocky and decided to try and make some cool videos at this spot and proceeded to blast into it at ~25 mph. I then proceeded to slide on some algae / green slime and took an accidental swim. I wasn't hurt and only scraped up my left hand guard a bit.... and the video didn't even turn out very good. Note to self: don't drive like an idiot through the water next time.

Overall its was a great ride, very scenic, some nice dirt roads, and some nice twistys. I cant wait to do it again (without the swim) with you guys in a few weeks!
Old 04-10-2014, 08:44 AM   #36
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

That must be why your bike is so clean ;)
Old 04-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #37
Sidecar Jockey OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
That must be why your bike is so clean ;)
Yeah, it actually washed the mud off pretty well. I wore my full insulated winter gear and was pretty hot before the swim, so I didn't really mind getting cooled off.

Plus, it was a good excuse to buy those new Cycra hand guards I have been wanting.... since now I "need" them!
Old 04-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #38
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:
Yeah, it actually washed the mud off pretty well. I wore my full insulated winter gear and was pretty hot before the swim, so I didn't really mind getting cooled off.

Plus, it was a good excuse to buy those new Cycra hand guards I have been wanting.... since now I "need" them!
For those of us who are giant pussbags inexperienced with offroad, are there detours around the offroad obstacles? I'm a delicate flower.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #39
Sidecar Jockey OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
For those of us who are giant pussbags inexperienced with offroad, are there detours around the offroad obstacles? I'm a delicate flower.
I'll see what I can do... but making detours for part of the group to split off and then re-join us is probably not going to happen. Especially since these are little roads in the middle of nowhere.

40% of the ride is either dirt or gravel... and of those roads 80% are hard pack smooth dirt or 'normal' gravel roads that should pose no problems for big bikes with street tires.

There are only really 3 roads that I think would be 'problem spots' due to their golf ball sized gravel. Two of them are ~200 yard stretches of the chunky stuff, then it becomes a normal smooth dirt/gravel road again. One road has ~1/2 mile of the bigger gravel, and its an uphill section.

If these section turn out to be a problem for street bike riders, it wouldn't take more than one or two minutes to 'paddle' your way through them with your feet down. They aren't nearly gnarly enough that 'paddling' across would be difficult at all. I'll wait for you...

When I first started to ride off road / dirt / gravel, which was only about a year ago, I wanted to shit myself whenever I hit any loose stuff. The feeling goes away after a few minutes, and you get the hang of it pretty fast.

That being said, you could always meet us at Conawingo Pizza for lunch and ride the last leg. From the lunch spot back to the park and ride is 90% pavement. All the 'good stuff' is on the first leg.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #40
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
I gave the ride route a 'shakedown run' yesterday evening. I probably wont do this for future rides, since exploring and getting lost is half the fun for me, but I wanted our maiden voyage to go smoothly. I found one road with a locked gate, so I made some minor modification to the route:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...30966,0.543823

Also, some of the gravel roads have pretty deep gravel in spots. Most if it is 'normal' road gravel, but some if it is the golf ball sized stuff. I'm still saying its big bike friendly, we'll just go slow and take it easy on these sections. (the gnarly gravel is on 3 different roads for between 200 yards and 1/2 mile at a time... its not terrible).

Here is a teaser photo of the first water crossing:

I got cocky and decided to try and make some cool videos at this spot and proceeded to blast into it at ~25 mph. I then proceeded to slide on some algae / green slime and took an accidental swim. I wasn't hurt and only scraped up my left hand guard a bit.... and the video didn't even turn out very good. Note to self: don't drive like an idiot through the water next time.

Overall its was a great ride, very scenic, some nice dirt roads, and some nice twistys. I cant wait to do it again (without the swim) with you guys in a few weeks!
Your giving me great pause with this. Deep gravel is second only to slimy mud in my experience with the Road King. And dropping it in a creek because of Algae will not be fun. The darn thing weighs nearly 800 pounds.

It's been too long for me since I've been around over there, I can't whip up an alternate route that overlaps most of the ride on those roads. If it can be done, I'd be fine riding it with the folk that don't want to tangle with algae and deep gravel.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #41
Sidecar Jockey OP
Studly Adventurer

The water crossings are EASILY avoided. They are all in the Fishing Creek Nature preserve, which is on the east side of the Susquehanna. There is a paved road that parallels the preserve, and ends up pretty much the same place as the dirt road with the water crossings. Here is route with the water crossing go-around:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=U...,21,22,23&z=14

Avoiding the gravel is harder. The big / deep gravel is on 3 separate roads, which are pretty much in the middle of nowhere. But, the gnarly gravel spots are SHORT, so 'paddling' / walking the bike over them would literally only take 2 minutes. This is the dual sport / dirt road ride after all...
Old 04-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #42
Sidecar Jockey OP
Studly Adventurer

Foxtrapper: Is the Road King you only option? I have done most of these roads on a Sportster with decent tires and it was a blast... but an 800 lb bike with hard bags is a different animal entirely. It could easily be done, but dropping a Harley bagger is no joke, both in terms of picking it up and replacing the damaged luggage, exhaust, etc. They don't crash well...
Old 04-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #43
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
I've ridden deep gravel with it, just really don't like it. But, after last weekend doing the 6th annual pa adv ride on it, I'm a wee bit more comfortable with the bike squirming around under me. . Your additional description make it seem less onerous.

I really was/am looking forward to the water crossings, but I also know how slick those cement crossings get with algae, and how it a takes only a little rushing water to send you sliding down stream. Plenty of hiking and sliding as a kid. Discretion may be the better part of valor, but I may wait and walk it first to decide.

Doubt I'll have the xl500 squared away by then, but maybe. Either way, I'll be coming along in some fashion.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #44
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,091
Thumb

Put me down as maybe for the 27th.

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:59 AM   #45
Sidecar Jockey OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
Put me down as maybe for the 27th.

Nice, I hope you can make it!