ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 06:04 AM   #46
Sidecar Jockey OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Sidecar Jockey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: MD
Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
I've ridden deep gravel with it, just really don't like it. But, after last weekend doing the 6th annual pa adv ride on it, I'm a wee bit more comfortable with the bike squirming around under me. . Your additional description make it seem less onerous.

I really was/am looking forward to the water crossings, but I also know how slick those cement crossings get with algae, and how it a takes only a little rushing water to send you sliding down stream. Plenty of hiking and sliding as a kid. Discretion may be the better part of valor, but I may wait and walk it first to decide.

Doubt I'll have the xl500 squared away by then, but maybe. Either way, I'll be coming along in some fashion.

You could easily walk / 'paddle' the gnarly gravel bits, they are SHORT. The water crossings have an easy paved 'bail out' detour.

OOOHHH... xl500. I like xl500's. What year is it? I used to have a 1979 xl500, it was a really fun bike. I think it was one of the last years for the dual rear shocks and had the auto-decompressor for kick starting. Let me know if you need any parts, I still have the box of spares in the garage from when I had mine. I dont hve many parts, but if you need something specific, just ask. I know some parts are getting harder to find.

I sold it to buy a 1979 XT500, the shiny alloy tank did it for me, plus my Dad has an XT... so now we have a 'pair'.
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #47
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
You could easily walk / 'paddle' the gnarly gravel bits, they are SHORT. The water crossings have an easy paved 'bail out' detour.

OOOHHH... xl500. I like xl500's. What year is it? I used to have a 1979 xl500, it was a really fun bike. I think it was one of the last years for the dual rear shocks and had the auto-decompressor for kick starting. Let me know if you need any parts, I still have the box of spares in the garage from when I had mine. I dont hve many parts, but if you need something specific, just ask. I know some parts are getting harder to find.

I sold it to buy a 1979 XT500, the shiny alloy tank did it for me, plus my Dad has an XT... so now we have a 'pair'.
Mine is an 80, so it's got the big 23" front tire, like yours had, and the auto decompression. The auto decompression usually works, except when it doesn't, and then you nearly launch yourself over the handlebars. It's got a later model swing arm and gauge cluster.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:02 AM   #48
Sidecar Jockey OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Sidecar Jockey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: MD
Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
Mine is an 80, so it's got the big 23" front tire, like yours had, and the auto decompression. The auto decompression usually works, except when it doesn't, and then you nearly launch yourself over the handlebars. It's got a later model swing arm and gauge cluster.
I forgot about he 23'' front wheel! Mine had some sort of 'special edition' gold rims, but then I bent the rear and had to replace it with a silver one, so the big gold 23'' looked out of place. I don't remember very many 23'' tire options either. What a fun bike though, it was better in the rough stuff than my XT500, but the XT is better to ride fast on pavement.
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #49
Sidecar Jockey OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Sidecar Jockey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: MD
Oddometer: 529
Beginning of the week bump.

Here is the ride route:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...5ac6eb61&msa=0

We'll meet at the park and ride on Mt Carmel Road, near 83, at 10:00 AM this Sunday, April 27. We'll ride for ~3 hrs, then have lunch at Conawingo Pizza around 1:00 PM, and make our way back to the park and ride where we started.

You can join us for the whole ride, just part, or just pizza... do whatever you want.

Who is IN? I would like to get a tentative list, so I know who to wait for at the park and ride on Sunday. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys.

This ride is doable on big bikes, and I'll be setting a leisurely pace so that anyone on a big street bike can keep up.
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #50
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D
 
JaxObsessed's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: From Alabama to Newfoundland it's all Appalachian
Oddometer: 11,501
Michaux is 60 clicks from bmore, but I love going up there. (obviously)
Denny Mann is beginning his Thursday evening rides again.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Mann View Post
I'm getting ready for the start of this year's Thursday evening ride. Last year was our first and the attendance was light. How about giving me input on what would make this ride more appealing?

Would a different starting spot be better?
if interested...Keep an eye on the Michaux thread in daytrippin.
__________________
ADVers are out of control and that's their charm, they don't line up, they don't have standards they follow, each and every one does their own thing. They know how to ride free - BugSister.
Jax' mediocre photo thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
Dang ..That thing is huge!!! Jax
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #51
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
Beginning of the week bump.

Here is the ride route:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...5ac6eb61&msa=0

We'll meet at the park and ride on Mt Carmel Road, near 83, at 10:00 AM this Sunday, April 27. We'll ride for ~3 hrs, then have lunch at Conawingo Pizza around 1:00 PM, and make our way back to the park and ride where we started.

You can join us for the whole ride, just part, or just pizza... do whatever you want.

Who is IN? I would like to get a tentative list, so I know who to wait for at the park and ride on Sunday. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys.

This ride is doable on big bikes, and I'll be setting a leisurely pace so that anyone on a big street bike can keep up.
In! On the SV. Should be amusing.
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #52
SwellsRides
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SwellsRides's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Oddometer: 145
Sad to miss it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
Beginning of the week bump.

Here is the ride route:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...5ac6eb61&msa=0

We'll meet at the park and ride on Mt Carmel Road, near 83, at 10:00 AM this Sunday, April 27. We'll ride for ~3 hrs, then have lunch at Conawingo Pizza around 1:00 PM, and make our way back to the park and ride where we started.

You can join us for the whole ride, just part, or just pizza... do whatever you want.

Who is IN? I would like to get a tentative list, so I know who to wait for at the park and ride on Sunday. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys.

This ride is doable on big bikes, and I'll be setting a leisurely pace so that anyone on a big street bike can keep up.
This is EXACTLY what I was looking for, but will be out of town over the weekend!!
Just got a new Distanzia on the back of the XR in hopes of getting her durty!!
Please keep me posted on dirty rides, and try to have fun without me!!

Swells
__________________
2000 XR650R SM
1996 VFR750
XR400 SM (Sold in Thailand)
Royal Enfield Bullet (Sold in Sri Lanka)
"When in Doubt, Punch it out!"
SwellsRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #53
Sidecar Jockey OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Sidecar Jockey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: MD
Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwellsRides View Post
This is EXACTLY what I was looking for, but will be out of town over the weekend!!
Just got a new Distanzia on the back of the XR in hopes of getting her durty!!
Please keep me posted on dirty rides, and try to have fun without me!!

Swells
Swells,
Too bad you'll be out of town. I would like to do 'dirty' rides all summer, so hopefully this weekend's is the first of many. I have another 2 routes planned out and ready to go... but if someone else knows of some good dirt roads that aren't too far from Bmore, they are more than welcome to suggest the next route or lead a ride.

So far, we have 2 "IN" for Sunday: Me and Chisenhallw

Sidecar Jockey screwed with this post 04-21-2014 at 12:19 PM
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #54
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
Beginning of the week bump.


Who is IN? I would like to get a tentative list, so I know who to wait for at the park and ride on Sunday. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys.
I will be there. From start to finish. I'll. be on the Road King, defending the honor of fools who ride big bikes inappropriately.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:39 PM   #55
T
Yippee Ki Yay
 
T's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: DE
Oddometer: 5,120
SJ- From your tracks, it looks like that water crossing might be on Fishing Creek road. Definitely a nice area to ride (Susquehannock SP) and FC road is, under most circumstances, a big bike friendly road. One of our riding mates takes his ST 1100 on it with regularity.




Sometimes it's not a bike friendly road.

__________________
Inconsequential Adventurer
T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #56
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer
 
Dorito's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
So far, we have 2 "IN" for Sunday: Me and Chisenhallw
+ 2 Dorito/Blaster11
__________________
Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:57 AM   #57
Sidecar Jockey OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Sidecar Jockey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: MD
Oddometer: 529
Me, Chisenhallw, Dorito, Blaster11, and Foxtrapper ... looks like a good group so far!

Yes, the water crossings are Fishing Creek Road. I really like that whole area, nice scenery and twisty roads.

If anyone wants a GPX file of the route, just PM me your email and I'll send it.


PS: Dorito, I really like your avitar picture.
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:11 AM   #58
Damifino
Damn if I know
 
Damifino's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 652
I'm in pretty sure


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
07 KTM 950 SE
99 KDX200
79 Yamaha RD400 76 BMW R76/6
06 Vespa Granturismo 200L
Green Marble Enduro Riders http://gmer.us
Damifino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #59
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwellsRides View Post
This is EXACTLY what I was looking for, but will be out of town over the weekend!!
Just got a new Distanzia on the back of the XR in hopes of getting her durty!!
Please keep me posted on dirty rides, and try to have fun without me!!

Swells
Dude lemme drop borrow your XR!
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #60
SwellsRides
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SwellsRides's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Oddometer: 145
Really???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Dude lemme drop borrow your XR!

Would Love too. (Not really!!) I have seen you drop your Conti in a flat, dry, parking lot with nothing around, and you think your ready for off road exploring, ON MY BIKE? Think again young grasshoppa!

However, I will be on it up in rural PA where I am giving an Emergency Foundations Course to a bunch of new responders.
I hope to spend a bit of time exploring the back roads and trails!

Have a great ride, and I hope to join you on the next dirty adventure!!

Swells
__________________
2000 XR650R SM
1996 VFR750
XR400 SM (Sold in Thailand)
Royal Enfield Bullet (Sold in Sri Lanka)
"When in Doubt, Punch it out!"
SwellsRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014