ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2014, 04:32 AM   #76
Mike4433
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
It depends on how you look at it:

By MILEAGE, its probably 75% paved and 25% dirt.

By TIME, its more like 60% paved and 40% dirt.
I'd love to join but I'm not the fastest on pavement in the curves
Mike4433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:43 AM   #77
blaster11
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,707
Dorito and I will be heading out in the next 45 minutes or so....see you later!
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:42 AM   #78
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4433 View Post
It ain't about speed! Join us.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:49 AM   #79
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4433 View Post
This ain't no speed race. Come along!
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:12 AM   #80
Damifino
Damn if I know

Oddometer: 655
I'm out, I tweaked my back yesterday doing the wife's honey do list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06 Vespa Granturismo 200L
Green Marble Enduro Riders http://gmer.us
Damifino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #81
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,104
A big 'ol Congrats to our ride leader...DOCTOR Sidecarjockey! Yeppers, last week he graduated.

Today's ride was absolutely fab! The track was very much idyllic and had nice mix of dirt, tarmac twisties and rivers. We had a great showing of about 10 riders; lions and tiger and bears. Yes there were road kings, KTM 990s to Little KTMs350s to the Adventure bike crowd. There track was guided by so many meandering rivers, I think this could be fun to grab a picnic lunch and laze around the river for the afternoon too during the heat of the summer.

Ironically, I usually try to find a fitting name for the rides. Today's might be called The Things We Almost Killed About 50 miles into the outbound leg, we cross a very straight bridge which overlooks a dam. Just on the far side, a nice pulloff and a trove of riders all muddled around. It seems that a Sportbike rider must have come from together. He was still on the ground. The bike had quite an impressive debris field of 20-30 yards. We did stop about the same time the first responders were showing up. Nonetheless the accident didn't make much sense at the time. [score = 1]

About another 10 miles DOCTOR Sidecarjockey is looking in his mirror for his tail of 9 riders . A deer careens down an embankment, and starts darting for his front tire. However, I don't think he's seen the deer....yet. They are closing fast. How he didn't end up with fur on his front fender, I will never know. [score = 2]

A bit later, we a doodling through Pennsylvania Amish country and the kids are playing baseball (with no gloves) and a pretty long haired black and white dog. Well, I thought it was pretty. Chisehallw, however, might think the dog was quite dumb and not so pretty. Never fear, no need to teach the kids a life lesson today, and we all ride off into the lunch stop. [score =3]

After a completely entertaining lunch, we plotted how we are going to gather data on the underground tunnel system through Baltimore using a beach ball floatation, a Otterbox weatherproofing, and the iPhone accelerometer to gather metrics on the 2-mile trek. We figure if the iPhone survives, we can stuff a inflatable duckie raft next. Not really....

After lunch, most folks decided to beat feat home. Blaster, I and Keith however pressed on. For one, that was probably close to the route home anyway. Boy, did we have a hoot! We even blended in the SeaTac addition [Thank You!] It's the one thing I love about ADV, taking good routes and making them GREAT routes. Thanks for collaborating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatec View Post
Just a tip. Don't take the boring east west highway. Take Jarrettsville pike or road. Its nice and twisty and a lot more fun. Plus, less cops. Cops are always lurking on the easy west highway.
Check it out. I think you'll like it better. Have fun on your ride and hope you guys will report.
Not too many pics, but Blaster has a few he'll post up later. Oh, and if I am in town, count me in for the next 6 routes that you have mapped out.

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Dorito screwed with this post 04-27-2014 at 03:49 PM
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:43 PM   #82
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 534
Nice meeting you all today!

Only got one photo to share, so here it is:
Old 04-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #83
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Didn't drop it!
Old 04-27-2014, 04:04 PM   #84
Sidecar Jockey OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
I had a great time, thanks to everyone who showed up and was brave enough to follow me into the woods!

I didnt take any photos, so if you did please post them up here!

Who's up for round two??
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #85
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Hey Jason, sorry I bailed on you on the ride back, but I'd had enough dirt. Didn't want to push my luck.

Even if we don't ride, we should get together and kick tires or something.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #86
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
Who's up for round two??
I'm game! That was a fun scenic ride. The pace was leisurely, which left some time for looking around, which I thoroughly enjoyed doing.

I've got to look up that dam we passed. It was quite interesting. That whole area was.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:22 PM   #87
blaster11
Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
A big 'ol Congrats to our ride leader...DOCTOR Sidecarjockey! Yeppers, last week he graduated.

Today's ride was absolutely fab! The track was very much idyllic and had nice mix of dirt, tarmac twisties and rivers. We had a great showing of about 10 riders; lions and tiger and bears. Yes there were road kings, KTM 990s to Little KTMs350s to the Adventure bike crowd. There track was guided by so many meandering rivers, I think this could be fun to grab a picnic lunch and laze around the river for the afternoon too during the heat of the summer.

Ironically, I usually try to find a fitting name for the rides. Today's might be called The Things We Almost Killed About 50 miles into the outbound leg, we cross a very straight bridge which overlooks a dam. Just on the far side, a nice pulloff and a trove of riders all muddled around. It seems that a Sportbike rider must have come from together. He was still on the ground. The bike had quite an impressive debris field of 20-30 yards. We did stop about the same time the first responders were showing up. Nonetheless the accident didn't make much sense at the time. [score = 1]

About another 10 miles DOCTOR Sidecarjockey is looking in his mirror for his tail of 9 riders . A deer careens down an embankment, and starts darting for his front tire. However, I don't think he's seen the deer....yet. They are closing fast. How he didn't end up with fur on his front fender, I will never know. [score = 2]

A bit later, we a doodling through Pennsylvania Amish country and the kids are playing baseball (with no gloves) and a pretty long haired black and white dog. Well, I thought it was pretty. Chisehallw, however, might think the dog was quite dumb and not so pretty. Never fear, no need to teach the kids a life lesson today, and we all ride off into the lunch stop. [score =3]

After a completely entertaining lunch, we plotted how we are going to gather data on the underground tunnel system through Baltimore using a beach ball floatation, a Otterbox weatherproofing, and the iPhone accelerometer to gather metrics on the 2-mile trek. We figure if the iPhone survives, we can stuff a inflatable duckie raft next. Not really....

After lunch, most folks decided to beat feat home. Blaster, I and Keith however pressed on. For one, that was probably close to the route home anyway. Boy, did we have a hoot! We even blended in the SeaTac addition [Thank You!] It's the one thing I love about ADV, taking good routes and making them GREAT routes. Thanks for collaborating!

Not too many pics, but Blaster has a few he'll post up later. Oh, and if I am in town, count me in for the next 6 routes that you have mapped out.
Here are the pictures I have....not that many as I usually take a lot but my setup has not been perfected for this year. We had quite a smathering of bikes today, probably the broadest range I have ever ridden with....just needed a Goldwing and it would have been complete.

And of course what would a ride be without food.

The biggest damn sandwich!

Onion rings were awesome with Ranch dressing!!!!!

Then of course we have Mr. Healthy.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:24 PM   #88
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

This guy. WHO IS THAT. I didn't know you could do the things that he did with a Harley.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #89
blaster11
Enabler

Thanks for putting together the ride, I had a great time and you can sign Dorito and I up for the next ride.....THANKS again!!
Old 04-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #90
Mike4433
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I had a great time! Thanks for letting the wee ktm in the group. I did learn that pavement loves the metzler six days tires!! I'm pretty sure they mean they only last six days on any pavement :-/

I enjoyed meeting all of you. Was nice to meet another EOD tech and another ham radio guy. Small world! Was also cool to see a big road king on those back roads. Other then being slow on the pavement the only real issue I had was the cross wind on that bridge. I felt like a rag doll on that 250lb bike.

Lunch was great. Good conversation and food outside in the sun.

Got back and had time to pull the tank and valve cover for that pesky 30 hour valve clearance check
Mike4433 is offline   Reply With Quote