infidel

Oddometer: 45,841
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:54 AM   #47
richardktm
Richard KTM

Oddometer: 49
loving the old race pics.

Well I didn't log on to advrider for about 6 months, so i checked in on my favorite threads. Great to find you are doing up a couple of these historic beautys up Kevin, and writing a thread on them.I always thought these Huskys are one of the most beautiful dirt bikes ever made.
Well done sir.
richardktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #48
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
Great photo as usual, also liked the Kessler pic... thanks for posting that.

So how did you like mx rewind this year?

My Vintage Husqvarna/Motocross Restoration Extravaganza Thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964670
FJ_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #49
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Due to my gearbox assembly mishap things have gotten a bit out of order in terms of the work sequence photos.

So this next set is actually of work that occurred in late fall 2013.

We will pick up with the motor first being fitted back into the repainted frame. You can tell this is the first attempt as the motor is still unpainted. Notice too the highly polished magneto and air cleaner covers (OK, it was a cold weekend ).

The original air cleaner cover for the '78 390 is black plastic but mine was marked up a bit. The alloy cover is from the earlier 360 and bolts right on.

And, I'm not showing it, but the swing arm bearings on this bike were in terrific shape as were the steering head bearings, so they just got a good cleaning and fresh grease.

Note too that this was the first year of the tapered Timken bearings in the steering head. Previous years used loose ball bearings. This may be something to consider when choosing your project.

The original black fuel tank for this bike is in decent shape but it does have a couple of dents that I would like to knock out sometime in the future. In the mean time I would fit one of the other tanks I have around.

These tanks while similar are not exactly the same. The green tank off an early automatic transmission model. It was in the best shape of the bunch so that is the one I picked to start off with. I believe the purple one is off a ~1976 360. The red one is off a 1978 CR250.

Here is Lacky's 360 with one of those purple tanks,

The photo below shows the next step in the assembly. You can see that I have stripped the black paint off the fork legs (they still need seals at this point). And the rear shock is one of the old S&W's that came on the bike. I am also playing around with the number plate locations.

more to come...

Old 06-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #50
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

One thing I never really cared for on this era Husky was the rear number plate placement and the ticky tacky brackets they used. And I didn't like the way the left number plate was mounted lower than the one on the right side as shown in the following photos.

So I decided I would move them a bit farther back and place them at the same height kind of like this next example.

In preparation of this, I stripped the paint off the exhaust system.

Then mounted it to the bike,

There is still a bit more paint to remove on the silencer but its good enough to allow placement of the number plate mounting tabs.

The mounting tabs were whipped up out of strap steel and welded to the silencer.

And now the plate mounted to the pipe.

Eventually I will use a heat gun to roll the top of the plate around the silencer to reduce the likelihood of catching it while riding, that is once I decide what color plate will actually be used . Choices include white, yellow and green.

This next photo shows the pipe and plates back on the bike. Also shown are the new Progressive shocks sourced off Amazon.com.

I saved a bit of money by reusing the original springs off the old S&W's . I then saved a little more dough by signing up for an Amazon credit card. This knocked $50 off the $129.00 (shocks only) list price so final price, including shipping, was just $79, not bad !

More to come...

Old 06-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #51
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The previous post showed the left side number plate,

Next is the view of the right side,

The right side plate is bolted on at two points. A standard rubber fender mount with a rubber stand off is used at the rear. The forward mounting point is provided by a hex stand off (borrowed from a Yamaha) that was welded to the head of the existing seat mounting bolt.

Here is a view from the back of the right plate,

Next is a view of the front plate mounting. Fortunately, the bike still had its original lower mounting bracket. Another Yamaha 6mm studded hex stand off was used to keep the plate parallel to the fork tubes, and well secured at the top.

The hex stand off, as viewed from the top, screws into the existing 6mm hole in the top triple clamp.

More to come...

Old 07-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #52
Kevin K
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
Kessler this past weekend at Unadilla Rewind VMX 2014. I tweaked it up so you could see his face.

Do you remeber in 1980(?) when they put a bounty on Mickey at Etown . The first guy to beat him won money and Kenny Adams was the guy to do it.
Mickey looks exactly the same now as he always has
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #53
Kevin K
Adventurer

You make the best vintage threads FJKevin. I post about my KX and I'm the only one that likes to look at it.
I love the look of those year Huskys . I think the only thing I would change on the Husky is the front brake to a CR or YZ.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #54
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Do you remeber in 1980(?) when they put a bounty on Mickey at Etown . The first guy to beat him won money and Kenny Adams was the guy to do it.
Mickey looks exactly the same now as he always has

Yeah, I remember that! And thanks for posting that photo!

I seem to recall that Kenny Adams rode a KTM? Saw Kenny in upstate NY a couple of times too.

I didn't go to MX rewind this year but here is Mickey (on left) at the 2013 event.

Glad to hear he rode this year!

Old 07-02-2014, 06:53 PM   #55
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You make the best vintage threads FJKevin. I post about my KX and I'm the only one that likes to look at it.
I love the look of those year Huskys . I think the only thing I would change on the Husky is the front brake to a CR or YZ.
Haha... good call! The 1980 Husky I am working on just got a Yamaha DLS front wheel (and yz490 fork!). I'll have more details on that coming up...

Old 07-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #56
Kevin K
Adventurer

Kenny Adams rode Maico FJ Kevin. There were so many Maicos on the line back them. I don't think there were any KTMs on the line
Old 07-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #57
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK, many of the previous posts showed work that was done before I had to rework the gearbox.

But now that problem is solved and we are once again moving forward. Here is the motor, now painted black, going back in the bike.

Aside from the motor going back in, the above photo also reveals the rough shape the wheels are in. Actually, the rims are OK but the spokes are really rusty and beyond their useful life.

Instead of rebuilding the wheels, as I had on the Yamaha's, I took the easy way out by purchasing some decent used wheels off ebay.

Patience was the key here as much of the stuff listed was in as bad shape as what I already had.

Another consideration was whether to convert from the original 17" rear wheel (with limited tire options) to the 18" rear wheel as used on the later Husky's. In the end, I decided to stay with the 17" to keep the bike in a mostly stock configuration. This decision was made easier as the rear tire was already like new.

This next photo is from a 1st brief test session down on the farm. I still haven't changed out the wheel set at this point so we are not yet looking our best.

The good news is that it is an easy starter and runs pretty well. It seems to have a pretty good kick in the upper ranges and is easy to wheelie. I think it is running a little rich from low to mid rpm so will spend some time to optimize the jetting over the coming weeks. There seems to be some untapped potential there, perhaps some opportunity to broaden the power band.

It's too early to say much on the handling side. But it does feel pretty light and nimble, especially with that skinny gas tank... definitely fun!

The jury is still out on the suspension too as I really didn't get to ride it very much. This was because the exhaust came loose due to a faulty rear hanger bracket arrangement. You can see it here with the drooping exhaust and left side number plate.

So a few teething problems but I'd say things are looking quite promising at this point.

Now the other thing I have not mentioned, but that you may have noticed, is the front fender.

Back in the '70's the 1st thing you did when you got your new bike home was to chuck that lousy OEM fender and mount up a Preston Petty Tony D! They were tough fenders and everybody ran them!

Don't believe me? Take a look at this !

Bob Hannah OW racer

Roger DeCoster running the Tony D,

And yes, here it is, Tony D running a Tony D fender!

As great as they were, at some point, the true Preston Petty Tony D fender wasn't available anymore .

But that has changed. Paul Stannard of Strictly Hodaka has reintroduced the line Preston Petty fenders, including my favorite, the Tony D.

In fact, it was a couple of years ago at the York swap meet that I met Paul and became aware of his fenders. Apparently the demand has been such that he had to get additional tooling made.

Paul is a heck of a nice guy too. The fenders look exactly like the originals and are reasonably priced, quality looks great. The two I ordered came quickly and arrived in perfect shape.

So cheers to Paul! And yes, I did have a Super Rat as a kid !

More to come...

Trick question: What kind of fenders are these riders using?

Old 07-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #58
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Kenny Adams rode Maico FJ Kevin. There were so many Maicos on the line back them. I don't think there were any KTMs on the line
Himmm, could I be thinking of Andy Stacy? Did he ride KTM and race Etown on occasion?

Old 07-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #59
GoThere@50
I'm Going

Oddometer: 99
Question Purchase decisions?

Great attention to detail Kevin. The transmission re-assembly glitch is the type of thing that would have caught me up without information like this thread. Based on the models you're restoring I'm wondering; did the class year, type & displacement cut off points for vintage racing dictate the models you chose or did you just go with what you found out there? After finishing Gunnar's book which does contain some insights about the various models and what the factory riders thought of them during development, I hold the 390 in high esteem. As a track weapon, it seems it may be more effective than some of the more popular Husqvarnas.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #60
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoThere@50 View Post
Great attention to detail Kevin. The transmission re-assembly glitch is the type of thing that would have caught me up without information like this thread. Based on the models you're restoring I'm wondering; did the class year, type & displacement cut off points for vintage racing dictate the models you chose or did you just go with what you found out there? After finishing Gunnar's book which does contain some insights about the various models and what the factory riders thought of them during development, I hold the 390 in high esteem. As a track weapon, it seems it may be more effective than some of the more popular Husqvarnas.
Thanks for your note!

For sure I tend to favor 250 and big bore air-cooled racers of the late '70 to early '80's as these were the type of bikes I liked racing as a kid.

I believe this is now generally referred to as the post vintage class in AHRMA. Eligible bikes must have drum brakes, post 1977 and be no newer than 1984 models (for the Gran Prix classes). This is the class that I race my 1981 YZ465 and 1983 IT490 Yamaha's in.

There is also another vintage group in my area called ACR (American Classic Racing). They categorize according to decade. So you can race vintage 70's, vintage 80's and so on. In this case my air-cooled, drum brake 1981 YZ465 could be racing along side water-cooled, disc braked and linkage suspended bikes. I don't mind though as I am just out to have fun and want to ride the bikes I like.

I have decided that whatever bikes I race, I would like them to have similar capabilities with regard to suspension. This is so I am less likely to make a misjudgment that causes me to be bucked off by failing to account for the particular bike that I am riding .

So back to the Husky's.... by the above criteria, I probably should not have bought the '78 390. Oh sure, it is a cool bike and I have enjoyed tinkering with it but I am not sure I will race it though as it definitely behind the Yamaha's and others in post vintage Grand Prix.

I think it's primary shortcoming is the 35mm fork and probably the progressive shocks. But this is OK as my plan to keep it stock and maybe ride it in a cross country race or display it in a show or something. And I enjoy looking at it too.

This brings me to the 1980 CR390 I am building. I like this bike as it is the most developed of this era Husky. It has the vastly improved Ohlins rear shocks but still retains the tank style that I like the best. This bike is actually cobbled together from parts collected over the years and I will be taking plenty of liberties in order to improve it (I hope!).

My goal will be to make it as fast and easy to ride as my Yamaha's. This is a tall order as the Yamaha's have a lot of time in them and are running pretty strong these days. Here is a snap shot of some of the work in progress.

It has a 43mm YZ490 fork (stock is 35mm) and DLS front brake fitted. The alloy arm is adapted from a KTM 420. A later model 18" rear wheel will be used. The frame is not painted yet as I'm just mocking things up at this point. And I am not yet sure of the motor condition although it is thought to be good. One key question will be whether I can complete these improvements at a rate that is sufficient to offset the continued aging and degradation of the rider .

The 1980 CR250 was just too good of a deal to pass up. If the 390 comes out as planned than maybe I would trade this one off for something else that interests me (like a '83 or '84 yz490 ). Still, it is a nice bike and I now have a later set of 40mm Husky forks for it.

Then there is the '81 CR430. This has come quite a ways but I still haven't ridden it yet. It too is eligible for the AHRMA class I am targeting. It has the upgraded 40mm Husky forks and a DLS front brake. It also has the later hump style tank which is not quite as attractive in my mind. I would like to keep this one mostly stock. If the 390 motor is not fast enough then maybe this will move to the front of the line .

So again, all the race bikes I have are eligible for the post vintage AHRMA Gran Prix class. However, I think the '78 390 is not so competitive against the other eligible machines.

More to come...

FJ_Kevin screwed with this post 07-03-2014 at 07:30 PM