User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
Travelling Sam OP
Travelling Sam

Oddometer: 125
85 Days Until the HUBB UK Overlanding event

Hi all, yep, just 85 days left to go and things are looking really good for this year's event. It'll be the 14th year running that Horizons Unlimited have held this it and this year its on at the Donington Park Farmhouse Hotel near Leicester. All the details are on this link for the HUBB UK.

You'll find info about more than 150 sessions (to date) of overlanding presentations and demonstration sessions, films, travel exhibitors, competitions and so much more.

Never been before? Loads of great feedback on the site but as a taster, this is what a first timer to the HUBB UK said about last year:

"What a FANTASTIC event!!!!! We found the atmosphere totally different to our usual events; everyone was so friendly – it was almost like one big family. We found the talks inspiring... the HUBB event isn’t a show – rather it is a ‘gathering of like minded people’, and we decided we liked that very much."

I hope to see you there. If you are into overlanding then it's a bit like a travel oasis in the middle of 'real life'. You leave that behind as soon as you roll your wheels on site.
Attached Images

Travelling Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:33 AM   #2
Travelling Sam OP
Travelling Sam

Actually, while I'm here, just a taster of the sort of nutty stuff that goes on. There's some cracking things lined up throughout the HUBB UK but there's one thing you won't want to miss for sure. Danny and Fil, hugely tongue in cheek chaps that they are, are expert at teaching people how to catch on the road food, prepare it and cook it. 'Tongue in cheek'? This'll give you and idea:

ROAD KILL COCK OUT 2014
Hi folks it's that time again to come and try some great wild food.

Yet again we have sourced some new meat for you to sample with the great Fil 'Smoking' Schannini transforming it into an amazing taste phenomenon! Once again we would like you to guess the animal only this year we have saved the skull to help you identify it!!!

This year's other delicacy will be wood cock, better known to country folks as a timber dick. This is cooked intact (no gutting required!) to keep it succulent and give it a great flavour. We'll even teach you how to catch them in the wild!

The fire this year is planned to be even better so come and have a go at making homemade bread; could be useful when you're on your travels? Of course we will have all our usual guests ....... trout (Road Kill? You have to ask! ) ,squirrel ,venison, pigeon etc and we will always welcome any new visitors that you want to bring to sample but please remove any micro chips first as they can chip your teeth!

Now for this year's competition we will be keeping it a secret until the last moment ( it will stop you clever people practising!). Come and sign up at the Cook Out area so you don't miss out and be in with a chance to win a free holiday to the Haggs Bank Bunkhouse

WOW we will have music both nights, and Saturday night will be very different! Come and join us for drink, some food and just a great time round the fire, it's a great meeting place to catch up.

Danny and Fil

Not only this but the guys from Woodlands Ways will be teaching you how to hunt the hedge rows for food. Fascinating!
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,764
They found that fish in a hedgerow!
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:38 AM   #4
Travelling Sam OP
Travelling Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
They found that fish in a hedgerow!
Danny was really funny when he first did trout instead of concentrating of rabbits, squirrels, deer and the like. A guy in the audience asked how he could call it Roadkill Cookout... with fish. Danny, straight-faced said, "It was hard work getting these. Took me hours driving up and down all those streams in my 4x4." Silence from the audience.... until what he'd said sunk in.

He's a complete character and that's what, besides his knowledge, makes their demos so much fun. You thinking about heading up?
Old 03-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Leaving Canada on April 21! See you in June
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:42 AM   #6
Travelling Sam OP
Travelling Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Leaving Canada on April 21! See you in June
Fantastic!!! Looking forward to linking up!
Old 03-27-2014, 08:51 AM   #7
Travelling Sam OP
Travelling Sam

For any of you guys who haven't been before, this is a shot looking down one of the camping fields at the HUBB UK venue the Donington Park Farmhouse Hotel. A really pretty spot with an interesting history.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #8
Travelling Sam OP
Travelling Sam

This shot is from the start of one of the Slow Bike Race heats. Slow Bike Race? Last rider over the line, without putting their feet down or leaving their lane wins.

There are 2 lots of heats. Under 650cc and Over. Then a ride off between the winners of the categories. If you watch the YouTube film on the HUBB UK page you'll see some of the race happening. And one rider with a rather unusual passenger!
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2014, 03:56 AM   #9
Travelling Sam OP
Travelling Sam

One of the things I love about the HUBB UK is the amazing selection of bikes that people turn up on. How about this one?
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2014, 04:01 AM   #10
Travelling Sam OP
Travelling Sam

If you've not had the chance to look at the HUBB UK page yet, then you may not have seen this bit of Youtube footage from last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g1JfH1rvDs
Old 04-10-2014, 02:55 AM   #11
Travelling Sam OP
Travelling Sam

70 Days to go!!!

Good news. The work done to keep the costs to attend, down to the same amount for the third year running, is working.

This is mostly down to the various companies that have helped by stumping up a bit of loot to sponsor part of the Donington Park Farmhouse venue. Rev'it have just joined the list. They are looking after the Paddock area. This is where about a third of the exhibitors will be and Danny and Fil's Roadkill Cookout, live music etc.

Aiming to give the other companies their due, the sponsors are Adventure Spec, Code Audio Visual, Touratech, Continental, Cotswold and Pure Bike Tours Many thanks to you all.

You guys have made it possible for people to book in - early days at just £45 for the full 4 days. £65 now for anyone who books in and pays before June 12th. That's camping, access to all the presentations (over 150 sessions!), demonstrations, competitions, Skills Course, Slow Bike Race, music and...

It's all about Overlanding Inspiration, Information and Connecting people.

Check out the HUBB UK 2014 pages and you'll see how things are stacking up now. Just 70 days to go
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2014, 12:22 AM   #12
Travelling Sam OP
Travelling Sam

I was over on the ABR forum this morning and I found this comment about the HUBB UK. It says a lot so I thought I'd share it:

'Crikey, so much information already on this thread about the HUBB, I'm almost a little lost as to what I can add... let's see...

If you have never been to one, and you like travelling around on your bike (or other stuff for that matter) then you should book the time off and just go. For what you get it really is very good value, and the atmosphere is the sort of relaxed vibe you'll find at an ABR bash - but with so much going on you won't want to spend your 4 days riding around. So the same vibe, but a different focus.

The HUBB should come with a health warning though. While you might not want to ride out from the site during the event, you'll certainly be itching to hit the open road after you've spent time listening and talking to folks there. You'll find inspiration around every aspect of overlanding - more than you can probably cope with. All those people bustling around the fields and venues... that's not a caffine buzz... it's the HUBB buzz! Got to travel... got to travel... (well, that is how I felt a little after my first )

You'll also be able to pick up pretty much all the knowledge you'll need to set you right for a trip - whether a few nights in the near continent, or a few years in a far one! Just ask around and you will quickly find someone who has had some first hand expereince. My first horizons event I didn't really know anyone. I went on my own, opened myself up to the expereince, and met quite a few people with whom I am still in regular contact today. Oh, and I've been around a bit since then too!

I'm really pleased that I'm going to be able to get there this year - it has been a couple of years since my last and the anticipation feels like I'm going to visit family who I haven't seen for ages. I'm really looking forward to catching up with many, but also if we've not met, feel free to track me down and say hi and, of course, ply me with beer!

So to finish my two pence worth where I started (and I did manage to say something after all)... just go!'

Nice!
Old 04-15-2014, 12:25 AM   #13
Travelling Sam OP
Travelling Sam

65 Days to go!

More good news on the HUBB UK! It’s on the Skills Course this time. Cogs Underwood and David Lobb set this up for the first time last year and I must say it went amazingly well. That’s in spite of having to move the whole thing due to the naff weather we had for the set-up days, which left their course too wet to be used! In typical HUBB UK spirit loads of people mucked into help the guys move it. Good stuff!

Skills Course? Well there are plenty of courses that are aimed at people who know how to ride a bike but want to go to the next stage off road etc. This course is aimed at those who have recently passed their tests or are simply not experienced bikers. For example, those who still worry about riding across a bumpy wet camping field. I remember that – I fell off.

Cogs and David and their crew set up corrugations, slaloms, fake ruts and all sorts of more simple challenges in a loop in Skills Course and Slow Bike race field.

The idea being to give the less experienced motorcyclists the confidence they need to go to the next stage. If you have a go, you’ll have experienced people walking the course with you – speed isn’t the point. It’s taking it easy and learning how to deal with the different obstacles that matters. It works! A couple of the people who went on the course are actually out riding around the world now. Fun!

And today we’ve been informed that Gabe Bolton (Tuareg Rally rider and MD of Zen Overland), and Ollie Lloyd (Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge ride and Owl Racing contender for the Paris Dakar!) will be on hand for a few hours to help guide people around the course.

Both Gabe Bolton and Ollie Lloyd have exhibitor pitches in the Adventure Travel zones. It’s great that they are happy to be away from their stands to give a hand. Please do get to their stands to say hello if you don’t happen to be with them on the course.

Ollie is with us all because he knows how many people in the world of overlanding love to follow the Paris Dakar, be they fans of the 4x4s or the bikes. He's coming to share the fun with us. Like it!
Old 04-23-2014, 12:57 AM   #14
Travelling Sam OP
Travelling Sam

57 days to go!!!

And brilliant news. Ted Simon is flying over from California to be with us. Fantastic!!!
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2014, 05:25 AM   #15
Travelling Sam OP
Travelling Sam

Hi All, more good news! Biker FM are going to be with us this year. First time ever. Good stuff!!!