User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
dgjackson40 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
RPM Erratic Rev Issue 990 KTM Adventure 2007

Firstly sorry for the long post and thanks for looking and helping if possible.

I have had an ongoing erratic over revving issue with my 2007 990 Adv. The last occurrence was today. Temperature this morning was about 30 when I left home and the bike started up normally and idled at about 2000 rpm for a minute or so and then settled down to 14k. I rode to work which is only a mile and shut the bike off. At noon I went to start the bike to head home for lunch. The bike didn’t start normally and just cranked over. I cycled the ignition and it started right up and idled at 2k for a minute then without touching throttle it went to 3k for about 45 seconds then back to 14k. Outside temp was now near 45. I rode home had lunch and then started the bike up normally after about an hour and it idled at 14k. I started for work and about half way to work the RPM’s went to about 3k when I pulled in the clutch at a stop light. They then went to 4k as I took off from the light and settled at about 5k as I was nearing work. I had to shut the key off at the next light and restart the bike. It idled normally the rest of the way to work and I now sit at work wondering how it will operate when I start home.

The bike has been displaying theses symptoms for about 3 months now. It has been winter and I haven’t ridden much but it will perform in this manner about 1 out of 3 times riding the bike to work or on outings of 100 mile or more. There is no rhyme or reason I can pick out for when it might happen. Today is the first time it has revved up to 5k without any input from the throttle. This is becoming a fair bit of a nuisance. The bike has 30700 miles on it. I changed the oil at 30400. I put in new iridium plugs and adjusted the valves at 30600 miles all within the past month. There was only one rear exhaust valve that needed a smaller shim. The rest were within spec. So I have had the throttle body completely off the bike and cleaned it up and checked all connections when we put it back on the bike. I have TUNEECU and was reading up on how to use it. My bike has the OEM map for a 2007 which I verified with TUNEECU. I have a screen shot of readings from the only time I have hooked it up. Basically for the Throttle I am seeing 18.3. 0.79V top row and 0%, 2% and 1.25V bottom row. Screen shots of that hook up are in this thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=960473 I’ll

I am planning a 700 mile ride this weekend and am hoping this will not be an issue if I can’t find a way to adjust/fix it between now and Saturday morning.

Has anyone else had similar issues with their 990 and if so did you find a solution?

dgjackson40 screwed with this post 08-22-2014 at 11:44 AM
dgjackson40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
dgjackson40 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Additionally

I have read a previous post titled 2006 990 Adventure and TUNEECU: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=676044&page=4 started by ddorrons. He was having same issue except his bike would sometimes die with no throttle. Mine has never died and doesn’t idle below 14k.

He had 35 posts and last one was on 5/3/2011 below. Hope he didn’t have catastrophic failure on the bike with the over revving issue and therefore never posted again!

“Yesterday I had an epiphany, it seems that every time I connect the bike while the engine is off the readings are right, it is after the bike is warm that it portrays the issues, I also noted that the voltage of the battery after a long ride is still 12 volts, it does not increase. So i thought, ok so what if the TPS (hardware) is fine, what would be a factor that would send the wrong signal to the bike? Current! if the current is not regulated adequately the TPS will not receive the right amount and hence it will transmit a wrong signal. So i went ahead and checked the regulator output. With the bike on, as I accelerate the output of the regulator decreases! Is this right? So again, I thought of the last sympton, as I was riding at 100km/h the bike started to accelerate an decelerate by itself and then the FI light turned on. I read the code and it said it is code p0122 which says that the TPS Voltage is low. I took down the regulator today and I am going to take it to be tested. I will have u posted with the outcome.

He never posted again and so 5 pages of very helpful information but it never indicated that he had solved his problem. My bike is having the same symptoms and I was hoping not to have to go through all the steps he did to solve my problem if the fix was unrelated to all the steps he took to determine the root cause.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
2 of my friends had similiar issues. turned out it was a faulty TPS in both cases. They're problem-free since they've changed it for a new one.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
dgjackson40 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tps

Sumi, thats where I felt this was leading. Darn it. I am hooking up TUNEECU as we speak to do some testing.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 708
you can check the tps with tune ecu.
The procedure/specifications for the above is in the service manual.
if it tests good and is adjusted properly

do this...

Re install your map.
Re adjust your throttle cables via tune ecu.
then clear the adaptation via tune ecu.
then do the 15 min idle from dead cold.

IN THIS ORDER.
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #6
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 708
there are several several threads about this buried in here as well as on most of the SD forums. The problem being no one comes back to say what fixed the problem ...

A few have reported replacing the whole TB set up... dont do this... thats stupid ...

I know for a fact that what I told you to do will solve the problem if done properly unless of course your TPS (or various other sensors) has actually taken a shit... but you should be able to see discrepancies in the range of the tps if there is an issue.

The ECU has become 'confused' and needs re adapted.. without explaining how the whole systems works thats the best way I can describe it.
Long story short is that FI systems are WAY WAY more sophisticated that most give them credit for and are very touchy at times.

PM me if you have anymore questions.
I'll give you my phone number and you can call me.
I tend not to post in threads like this because people tend to know everything and I don't like to deal with it but I also know how bad it sucks to have a bike that's being a fucker...

Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
dgjackson40 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pm

PM sent. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #8
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgjackson40 View Post
Sumi, thats where I felt this was leading. Darn it. I am hooking up TUNEECU as we speak to do some testing.
I don't know if TuneECU will show the problem, or you can cure the problem with a system reset (*especially if it really is a faulty tps, which is a hardware failure instead of a software failure, or misalignment) - as we spent days with the factory KTM diagnostic (and data logger) tool to diagnose and/or solve the problem, but nothing strange showed up - maybe some occasional voltage spikes in the TPS circuit, but we were not sure if that's the real case (at least at that time). So we started to swap everything on the bikes, batteries, o2 sensors, ecus, harnesses, you name it.. and the only cure was swapping the whole throttle bodies for a known good working one. And that's where I've lost track on the project, but the guys said afterwards that it was the TPS afterall.. Fortunatelly for some years now on it can be purchased separately from the whole throttle body cpl., and it's not a too expensive item, about a hundred bucks.

*Ofc we reloaded the maps, reset the ecu (and that's the logical thing to do first, I recommend you the same - it might be as a simple cure as that), did all the hacks the factory tool allowed us to do - which is quite the same as TuneECU allows.. But those TPS can develope a hardware failure over time - without any physical abuse - and KTM kind of aknowledged this, hence they started to sell the TPS as a separate part.. But just my $0.02

Sumi screwed with this post 03-26-2014 at 06:58 PM
Sumi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #9
dgjackson40 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Not Good

I am guessing this is not a good thing:

Old 06-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #10
dgjackson40 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Lack of Confidence in this Bike

Well, I have done everything I can using TuneECU to try to get the TPS and throttle cables adjusted properly. Each time I think its working out and all is running smoothly then the high rev issue gremlin reappears.

I have read every thread and followed a myriad of directions to fix this thing to no avail. Spent yet another afternoon Sunday in the garage working with the software and physically adjusting the TPS on the throttle body. I thought I had it perfect and went on a short ride Sunday evening and it felt great. So then decided to take it for a better trial run Monday evening after work. Took it on some decent blacktop and gravel roads for an hour and a half. At about an hour into the ride it began feeling like it was missing out going thru third gear. Then the dreaded high rev started. Sometimes 3k to 4k and on up to 5k with clutch pulled in. Even died once attempting to gear down for a stop sign. When it would start this I could hit the on off switch and restart and it would be ok for a few miles.

I thought that since I hadn't reset the adaptation and 15 minute idle after working on it Sunday that I would do that this morning before work and perhaps it would sort out and run ok for even a short period but after hooking up to TuneECU the TPS read at .83. I done another throttle adjustment and got it down to .67. Started bike and began the 15 minute idle, remembered I had not reset adaptation and shut it down and another throttle adjustment and then reset adaption and started 15 minute idle. TPS went to .88 and idled at 5k so I just shut it down and took the GoldWing to work and here I sit.

During the afternoon Sunday with several throttle adjustments and physical TPS adjustments the TPS readings after completing a simple idle speed adjustment test would jump to .88 after having them set to .67. At one time on Sunday I had the TPS set at .63 but after buttoning it back up and attempting to test ride it would just die before I could get out of the driveway and I had to set it to .67 before it would run. I am guessing with the erratic behavior of the TPS readings after sometimes only completing an Idle Speed Control test is indicating that perhaps I do indeed have a bad TPS. Looks like I'll be throwing more money at it and if new TPS doesn't do the trick I'll probably have to get out of the KTM business! I have already sold my VStar cruiser in order to afford everything so far on this bike. (WP rebuild, Filter Kit, Tires, Tune ECU cable, Fuel Filter Kit, Side Stand Relo, Plugs, Shim Kit, Block off Plates) And to think this all started when I noticed the Neutral light is not coming on all the time when it should. Have been chasing that gremlin also to no avail and leaning towards new sensor.

Hell I only bought this bike December 1st and it appears summer may pass me by before ever getting to see what it can do!

dgjackson40 screwed with this post 06-03-2014 at 08:54 PM
dgjackson40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #11
dgjackson40 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hope

I guess I have been grasping at straws for a while hoping someone would find a simple quick lasting fix for this type of issue or matter-of-factly link it to faulty TPS!
Old 06-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #12
pdxthmper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
I had erratic rpm at idle on my 2007, turned out to be a low voltage issue from corroded connectors at the voltage RR. Have you checked your charging voltage, and RR? I cleaned those up and my issue went away.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #13
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,756
I believe bad TPS is very high on your list.

If someone can lend you a TPS to check out that would be great, cause it costs $100.

At the point it usually works, the copper is worn. This is from a 2006 bike with 55000kms, not too old, but the rider is always playing with the throttle.

Cheers.

gefr screwed with this post 06-09-2014 at 12:42 PM
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #14
dgjackson40 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxthmper View Post
I had erratic rpm at idle on my 2007, turned out to be a low voltage issue from corroded connectors at the voltage RR. Have you checked your charging voltage, and RR? I cleaned those up and my issue went away.
I'll check those connections before I install the new TPS when it arrives this week. That would save me some $$ if that is the issue and I can return the part.

Gefr, the TBs on this bike had never been messed with prior to my buying the bike and installing foam filter kit but the erratic idle had began prior to my installing the filter kit. I had just hoped that putting in your gas filters and installing the new air kit would have solved the problem but nay. I am going to check all electrical connections, check for any air leaks, adjust throttle cables and reload maps and reset adaption prior to installing the new TPS when it comes just to be sure all around.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #15
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
2 of my friends had similiar issues. turned out it was a faulty TPS in both cases. They're problem-free since they've changed it for a new one.
I assume the test procedure for the TPS on the FI bikes is similar to the carb'd bikes [in the service manual]? Check VDC as you turn throttle? If so, did these "faulty TPS"s pass or fail the test?
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote