User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #91
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,521
Hey,

when you get to the DC area and need anything, consider this thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552022

Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people can help you navigate the traffic nightmare of our nation's capital. I'm not particularly knowledgeable but I can be helpful
Old 04-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #92
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
I have a section you might want to take:

1. From Texas find Cimarron NM. This is on the Santa Fe Trail.
2. Take hwy 64 west over the southern Rockies to Taos NM. See the Taos Pueblo if it is open.
3. Continue west on 64 through the Rockies. You will have a couple more 9000 foot passes. Continue through Chama and Farmington to the town of Shiprock, NM.
4. From Shiprock take 491 south a few miles to the Shiprock monument. You can't miss it. Just south of the rock find Indian 13 west.
5. Take Indian 13 west over the pass on a road that rivals the Tail of the Dragon. Work your way southwest to the town of Chinle AZ. This is Canyon de Chelly park.
6. From Chinle ride north to Many Farms AZ and find Indian 59 west. Take indian 59 to hwy 160 and Kayenta AZ.
7. In Kayenta find hwy 163 north and take in through Monument Valley to Mexican Hat, UT.
8. Past Mexican Hat find hwy 261 north and take it past the Valley of the Gods, up the Mokee Dugway and cruise on top of the plateau to hwy 95 north.
9. Take 95 North through Natural Bridges park, over the CO river to Hanksville UT.
10. In Hanksville find hwy 24 west through Capitol Reef Park and find Hwy 12 south and west. Hwy 12 is one of the finest motorcycle motoring roads there is.
11. Take 12 west through Boulder, Escalante, Cannonville to Bryce National Park. Maybe ride through Bryce.
12. Continue west on 12 past Bryce to find Hwy 89.
13. From the 12/89 intersection you can ride to the Grand Canyon North Rim park and west to Vegas. Or through Zion Park west to Vegas.

This is fairly remote country. Plan gas carefully. Not much traffic anywhere along it except in the national parks in southern Utah along the Colorado River. The Arizona section is mostly Indian reservation land. You will see unbelievable landscapes on this route. Probably 3 days of it from Taos to Vegas.

Good luck and if you pass through Boston, I live in a downtown high rise with a guest suite you could use. Your bike could go in my underground garage, which is secure. Can't really help with the tools and repairs, but I know several dealers who supported my kids road race days. -P

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #93
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

Oddometer: 130
Yup, watch your gas carefully on the lonely back roads out west. The Bonneville is short legged. Been there, done that. Best policy is don't pass an open station. The one you think you will use next down the road may be closed or out of business.
DWR302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #94
Kawcon1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Amazing! One girl on a Triumph who has not even hit the road yet and there are 7 pages of replies!? Really!?
Old 04-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #95
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawcon1 View Post
Amazing! One girl on a Triumph who has not even hit the road yet and there are 7 pages of replies!? Really!?
if it was one guy on a triumph this thread would have no posts and 3 views lol.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:24 PM   #96
vintagemxr
old fahrt, nobody special

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawcon1 View Post

Hope springs eternal in the male of our species.
----------
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength" - Eric Hoffer
vintagemxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:38 AM   #97
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
if it was one guy on a triumph this thread would have no posts and 3 views lol.
Yea, use the word girl or lady in your title and it is an immediate hit on this male dominated forum, but I do believe that the rider has already demonstrated that she has many endearing qualities not related to her gender. Her writing style is excellent and her personality is friendly and polite. It is pretty easy to predict that this will be a five star read.

Everything suggested in this thread is excellent IMO, but the best part of any ride is when you randomly choose the less preferred routes and randomly see places and meet people you didn't expect. In any event, if any issues occur while in Portland, Maine either myself or family will gladly render any needed assistance.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #98
LadyCruiser OP
www.ridingacross.com

Oddometer: 291
To move your soul - move your ass! Time to start adventure ;-)
LadyCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #99
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,818
Guy or girl, doing a trip like this solo is some serious adventure. Pretty awesome!

You may want to look at some of the other threads in Trip Planning and the Regional Forums where people ask about areas you are headed. They are usually a treasure chest of things to see, and you won't have to wait for people to respond. If you do see something that you want more information about, don't hesitate to send whoever mentioned it a PM.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:21 PM   #100
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,403
Here's a map of Pantah's suggested route... this alone would be the trip of a lifetime for many folks...

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=C...ls&via=2,6&z=7

I've ridden most of it east of Moki and highly recommend it. The area to the west is now scheduled for this summer's trip.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:04 AM   #101
TassieMark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
Here's a map of Pantah's suggested route... this alone would be the trip of a lifetime for many folks...

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=C...ls&via=2,6&z=7

I've ridden most of it east of Moki and highly recommend it. The area to the west is now scheduled for this summer's trip.

NFE
Thanks NFE and Pantah. I'm coming down from up north. I think I will check out the Bonneville salt flats and then travel south to pick up this route in reverse. I have fond memories of this area, especially Moki Dugway and the Valley of the Gods, and it is well worth a return visit.
Cheers,
Mark
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:53 AM   #102
LadyCruiser OP
www.ridingacross.com

Oddometer: 291
First meeting with Bonni

Tomorrow I'll start my trip
LadyCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:01 AM   #103
Deah
WonderingButNotLost

Oddometer: 61
Awesome looking ride.

Best wishes to you on your adventure!
Deah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:10 AM   #104
birdie_xx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Have fun !
birdie_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:07 AM   #105
Merlinzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCruiser View Post
First meeting with Bonni

Tomorrow I'll start my trip
every day, as I arrive at work and take off my helmet, I'll think of you out on the highway somewhere...
Merlinzen is offline   Reply With Quote