User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
sigpe57 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
R80ST checking for clutch thickness

I just separate the transmission from the engine. Can I check the thickness of the clutch without removing the clutch pack from the flywheel?

Can you reuse use the clutch bolt or need to put on new ones?

Thank you for the reply,
sigpe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,586
You can. The question is why. How thick the friction disc is has little to do with the condition of the clutch. They can work fine for tens and tens of thousands of miles with a too thin friction disc. Warped pressure and cover plates is usually what makes them slip. That or oil. If it isn't slipping, leave it alone. If it is slipping, take it apart and fix it.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
sigpe57 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
You can. The question is why. How thick the friction disc is has little to do with the condition of the clutch. They can work fine for tens and tens of thousands of miles with a too thin friction disc. Warped pressure and cover plates is usually what makes them slip. That or oil. If it isn't slipping, leave it alone. If it is slipping, take it apart and fix it.
I would think the friction plate will wear out before the other metal parts?

If the friction plate gets too thin, will it metal pin scratch the flywheel surface?
sigpe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,340
They seem to wear out together and BMW recommends replacing both pressure plates with a new disk and spring. So if your clutch is working OK then leave it alone.

Pay your debt, privatejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,586
I didn't say that the pressure and cover plates wear. I said they warp. They ALWAYS warp at least a little but more than that and it causes the clutch to slip.

I have replaced tons of those clutches. I have never seen a friction plate get thin enough to get into the other two plates. If the setup ever did last that long, chances are the pressure and cover plates would be too warped to re-use anyway. Those late model clutches on all the different late model beemers almost never slip for the friction plate getting too thin. They slip for warped pressure and cover plates. That or oil. I have seen some friction plates break apart but I know most of those did not break apart from wearing too thin.

BMW recommends? The plates don't wear out together but if you don't know how to check the cover and pressure plates for warpage you are better off replacing all three plates! They very often warp too much to be re-used. With that in mind, I have a stack of them from working at dealerships that replaced all three out of policy and they are plenty straight enough to be re-used. If I owned a busy dealership I wouldn't mess with checking them either. They are toasted more often than not anyway.

supershaft screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 07:59 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote