Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2006, 02:39 AM   #106
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,385
15,000 miles of abuse so far (www.nohorizons.net). Still charging as if new. The battery is getting abused (overnight charging of computer etc.) but seems to be holding up. Glad I got this setup, as the other day it took 2 days to cover 40 miles over a pass, at walking pace. Strange to not get out of first gear for 2 days ... The RPM's were low, thankfully there was cool air to cool the bike. Not sure how you would do it with a stock setup ... I don't think I got over 3k rpm...
Old 08-28-2006, 04:09 AM   #107
sharkey
XLV750R

Oddometer: 875
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malindi
15,000 miles of abuse so far (www.nohorizons.net). Still charging as if new. The battery is getting abused (overnight charging of computer etc.) but seems to be holding up. Glad I got this setup, as the other day it took 2 days to cover 40 miles over a pass, at walking pace. Strange to not get out of first gear for 2 days ... The RPM's were low, thankfully there was cool air to cool the bike. Not sure how you would do it with a stock setup ... I don't think I got over 3k rpm...
Woohoo! Go Kevin! I've quoted you on my generator page, hope you don't mind. Keep on trucking!

-----sharks

sharkey screwed with this post 08-28-2006 at 04:29 AM
sharkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:06 PM   #108
Tony Graf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Just a note to say thanks to John at Euromotoelectrics (Enduralast). I had an issue with my regulator (probably my fault) and John was a perfect gentleman..walked me through the diagnosis process, determined the problem, and sent me a new regulator that same day. Once again, I think I screwed the install, that's probably why the regulator didn't work correctly. John still took the time to make things right and I am happy as ever with the product...Tony
Tony Graf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:06 PM   #109
Mendodave
Road Scholar

Oddometer: 865
Rectifier location, R80G/S

Hey all...

3500 miles on my enduralast install, I had the rectifier under the tank, but now it is up in the wind where the stock horn would be...much better. I didn't have space behind the battery like others did.

Runs great! Heated grips, heated liner, massive headlight, all fine, 14 volts at idle.

Thanks, John!

Mendodave screwed with this post 04-18-2007 at 05:13 PM
Mendodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:11 AM   #110
Madman1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
So all enduralast customers are still happy?
My stock system still works, but I'm visiting US, so tempting to bring with me an enduralast or omega.
"
The voltage regulator controls the energy supply from the stator / rotor according to the
system demand, monitoring the voltage.
The current Modern Common Practice for use in the transportation industry (with 2-phase
stator and permanent magnet rotor) is to perform the function of regulation thru the use of
a Silicone-Controlled Rectifier (SCR) or thyristor."
This technology works well?
Madman1
Norway
Madman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:38 AM   #111
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman1 View Post
So all enduralast customers are still happy?
Nothing but. It just works. It might be the only part of my bike I haven't touched in 30,000 miles.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:02 AM   #112
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
I've heard only good things on the enduralast except for one....something breaks....you need to replace the entire system.

The Omega system has more components.....but they are all individually replaceable. The proprietor of Motorrad Elektrik, Rick Jones is a hell of a guy and stands behind his product. For that reason, I would go with the Omega again.
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:28 AM   #113
Madman1
Adventurer

Any "electric enginers" out there to enlight the subject?
Madman
Old 02-22-2011, 05:29 AM   #114
Madman1
Adventurer

Make that engineers!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #115
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
I've heard only good things on the enduralast except for one....something breaks....you need to replace the entire system.

Not sure where you heard that.

There's only one part that can really fail. That's the regulator/rectifier box. I suppose the stator could fail, but that's not a common failure item on any chargine system. The rotor basically CANNOT fail as it's just a magnet. I don't see why you'd have to replace the whole system if the box went. It costs $100 and is a readily available OEM part on ducatis and moto guzzis.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:26 AM   #116
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,231
Gotta agree with A-Dub. Troubleshooting the Omega rotor requires an Ohm meter. Troubleshooting the Enduralast requires a chunk of steel.

60k miles on mine and I've never touched it. I ran heated grips this winter with no problems. I've also got 2 extra fog lights that I run sometimes. I've still got the 6 year old Odyssey battery that the PO gave me.

I'd say it's the points-in-a-can of alternators

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #117
Madman1
Adventurer

bgoodsoil;
You got the enduralast?
Madman
Old 02-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #118
The Raven
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post

Not sure where you heard that.

There's only one part that can really fail. That's the regulator/rectifier box. I suppose the stator could fail, but that's not a common failure item on any chargine system. The rotor basically CANNOT fail as it's just a magnet. I don't see why you'd have to replace the whole system if the box went. It costs $100 and is a readily available OEM part on ducatis and moto guzzis.
From what i read last time that was the consensus. Great..as long as it doesn't go south. The stator cannot be purchased separately, and if the box does go, how do you diagnose it? It's output is limited per snowbums eval.

I would not shy away from one though as overall it's a good system.

I do wonder why if it is such a great product, Rick does not offer it. Generally it seems he supports the good stuff.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #119
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,527
Quote:
I do wonder why if it is such a great product, Rick does not offer it. Generally it seems he supports the good stuff.

www.northwoodsairheads.com
www.jefftrappwindsors.com

"Between two explanations, choose the clearest; between two forms,
the most elementary; between two expressions, the shortest."
Between two motorcycles the simplest (DW)
Eugeni d' Ors (1881-1954); Spanish writer.

jtwind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #120
The Raven
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind View Post
Rick developed the omega system, so it doesn't make sense to sell or promote the competition.
Understood. Makes sense.