Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2014, 05:27 AM   #1
Xerosene OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Question Bushlander CTX200 tail light compliance oddity - DIY ADR?

Are there 2 versions of the ADR CTX200?
COMMON: Big tail light, and narrow indicators that are protected by the rack.
LESS COMMON: Low profile tail light, added rear reflector, and WIDE spaced indicators that stick out further than the rack.

I've just bought a used 2010 CTX200 that was previously road registered in NSW (I'm in VIC).

I've noticed that my tail light looks like it has been DIY installed (slightly crooked of course!) and the recess for the tail light has been enlarged with what looks like a kitchen knife, pretty poorly done.
I initially thought it might have been a dodgy DIY repair for a smashed tail light, but I've seen several CTX200s with exactly the same tail light and wide spaced indicators - all from various years, and in different states in AU.

Also, the head light switch is fixed in the ON position.
I pulled the headlight switch assembly apart and it was loctited ON, with a small plastic pin stopping the switch from turning off.

The headlights being loctited ON makes me think that it all might be an in house thing done by some dealers in AU to meet certain states' compliance?

Any ideas?

PS: This is my first bike. Don't even have my L's yet :) Just been riding it around the farm

Xerosene screwed with this post 03-27-2014 at 06:12 AM Reason: Bad spellz
Xerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:35 AM   #2
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,106
well done on your first bike...don't worry,one guy rode across OZ with a sidecar on his CTX.
Pretty sure there are two versions of CTX, ADR and Non ADR, maybe dealers made some extra bucks by buying non ADR and then "ADRing" in house?
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:46 AM   #3
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,910
Many years I brought a WR200, that Yamaha dealers were selling in registered form.

These were brought into Australia and modified locally to meet ADR requirements, by Geoff Ballard I believe.

One the oddities was the headlight shroud being cut to accommodate a larger light.

This bike seems to be the same, including the loctiting of the headlight switch into the one position (which is an ADR requirement).

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:55 AM   #4
Xerosene OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Nutter View Post
maybe dealers made some extra bucks by buying non ADR and then "ADRing" in house?
Yeah, that's what I thought.
The tail light cut out looks like a rushed job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
This bike seems to be the same, including the loctiting of the headlight switch into the one position (which is an ADR requirement).
I'm taking it in for a VIC Roadworthy next week, do I need to put the "always on" pin back the headlight switch assembly?
I'm guessing not.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:59 AM   #5
Blokette
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Nutter View Post
Pretty sure there are two versions of CTX, ADR and Non ADR, maybe dealers made some extra bucks by buying non ADR and then "ADRing" in house?
My husband and each have an ADR CTX200 - the badly fitted taillight, protruding indicators and the headlight that cannot be switched off are just some of the 'features' of the ADR model (along with rubber thingys on the sidestands and a heel guard near the chainguard).

Even with all the ADR stuff fitted a non-ADR CTX200 cannot ever legally be registered as it does not have a compliance plate and a VIN check would show that it never had one.

It is possible to purchase and fit a non-ADR rearguard and taillight to an ADR model and to re-mount the indicators so they are better protected but I don't know if it's possible to make the headlight switchable without buying a non-ADR switch.
"Because in the end it has almost nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with setting out to accomplish something that is intimidating, that is unknown to you, something you know you have a good chance of failing at but doing it anyway and slowly but surely proving yourself wrong."
Blokette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:10 AM   #6
Xerosene OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blokette View Post
... just some of the 'features' of the ADR model (along with rubber thingys on the sidestands and a heel guard near the chainguard).
I'm sure I've seen the big tail light versions for sale as road reg'd ADR models.
What ARE those rubber thingys on the stands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blokette View Post
I don't know if it's possible to make the headlight switchable without buying a non-ADR switch.
Mine was simply loctited ON, with a plastic pin stuck in the switch.
I removed the 2 screws on the cover, flipped it open, and prodded around with a tooth pick to loosen the loctite, then eventually found the plastic pin and removed it. Switch works perfectly now.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #7
James Cook
O.H.M.S

Oddometer: 385
As posted there are two versions of the CTX,the ADR and the non ADR models.

Stick with the CTX as long as you can, they can be a lot of cheap fun.

Here is a photo of a ride I did on mine.

Mt McCall.... Tasmania

James Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,273
Honda still do 2 versions of this bike, a nonregisterable model, and for another thousand bucks an ADR registerable model.

I also believe that this is now the only registerable farm bike you can buy, the other major Japanese manufacturers only offer non-ADR models.

I was asking a salesman about these bikes, as I have always had a bit of an interest in these machines as a cheap and effective adventure mount, but if you can't register them they are useless to me, and the premium for the ADR-model just made them too expensive for my needs.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
Honda still do 2 versions of this bike, a nonregisterable model, and for another thousand bucks an ADR registerable model.

I also believe that this is now the only registerable farm bike you can buy, the other major Japanese manufacturers only offer non-ADR models.

I was asking a salesman about these bikes, as I have always had a bit of an interest in these machines as a cheap and effective adventure mount, but if you can't register them they are useless to me, and the premium for the ADR-model just made them too expensive for my needs.
If you look in clearing sales (on farm) you see them, secondhand buying better than new $$ wise
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #10
=SUTTO=
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
The second pic is of my old CTX, I got it brand new, ADR compliant, 2012 model.
I could switch the headlight off if i wanted to from new as well.
=SUTTO= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #11
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cook View Post
As posted there are two versions of the CTX,the ADR and the non ADR models.

Stick with the CTX as long as you can, they can be a lot of cheap fun.

Here is a photo of a ride I did on mine.

Mt McCall.... Tasmania

Ive had all 3 bikes in that picture, and only one of them is fun
CTX did 2 clutches and leaked oil from every gasket from new
Trojan leaked oil from new and caught fire from time to time
ttr/ legendary, sorry for the thread jack
Old 03-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #12
Xerosene OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by =SUTTO= View Post
I could switch the headlight off if i wanted to from new as well.
Mine is a 2010, reg'd in NSW.
Did NSW briefly have a regulation that all new bikes had to have a headlight fixed to ON?
Old 03-27-2014, 10:14 PM   #13
James Cook
O.H.M.S

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
Ive had all 3 bikes in that picture, and only one of them is fun
CTX did 2 clutches and leaked oil from every gasket from new
Trojan leaked oil from new and caught fire from time to time
ttr/ legendary, sorry for the thread jack

You must be hard on farm bikes, had no trouble at all.
I didn't show it any mercy.
James Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:50 PM   #14
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cook View Post
You must be hard on farm bikes,
It's the photos of the hairy buttocks that finishes them off y'know.........
Old 03-28-2014, 12:42 AM   #15
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerosene View Post
Are there 2 versions of the ADR CTX200?
COMMON: Big tail light, and narrow indicators that are protected by the rack.
LESS COMMON: Low profile tail light, added rear reflector, and WIDE spaced indicators that stick out further than the rack.

I've just bought a used 2010 CTX200 that was previously road registered in NSW (I'm in VIC).

I've noticed that my tail light looks like it has been DIY installed (slightly crooked of course!) and the recess for the tail light has been enlarged with what looks like a kitchen knife, pretty poorly done.
I initially thought it might have been a dodgy DIY repair for a smashed tail light, but I've seen several CTX200s with exactly the same tail light and wide spaced indicators - all from various years, and in different states in AU.

Also, the head light switch is fixed in the ON position.
I pulled the headlight switch assembly apart and it was loctited ON, with a small plastic pin stopping the switch from turning off.

The headlights being loctited ON makes me think that it all might be an in house thing done by some dealers in AU to meet certain states' compliance?

Any ideas?

PS: This is my first bike. Don't even have my L's yet :) Just been riding it around the farm
Ok the narrow indicators that fit under the rear rack were only fitted to non ADR bikes and the tail light that is fitted to the same bike is also the non ADR type. But I don't think this have changed over the years. There is also a heap of small over changes made to the bike to meet ADR requirements.

ADR conversion is done in Melbourne.

If you send me a private message with the frame number I can check to see if is a legit ADR version come Monday morning.
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote