User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
Maoule OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Raising front fender a lil bit

I'm pretty sure I read something about it somewhere, but can't find anything. Has anybody sucessfully raised the front fender 1-1 1/2"? It looks fairly simple to do, but are there other issues (cabling/hoses, handling) to consider? Thanks
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
Black Hills
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
touratech has a kit for the 1190 standard, not sure what other models they cover?
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,061
Lmgtfy

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Aadvr...e+front+fender
Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Excellent point. Would like to know how it's done, as well.

The high fender kit looks great, but I'd prefer to retain the stock fender and just raise it enough to clear some mud.

Ignore the jack hole...this info is valuable to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maoule View Post
I'm pretty sure I read something about it somewhere, but can't find anything. Has anybody sucessfully raised the front fender 1-1 1/2"? It looks fairly simple to do, but are there other issues (cabling/hoses, handling) to consider? Thanks

When I finished high school, I wanted to take all my graduation money and buy myself a motorcycle. But my mom said no. See, she had a brother who died in a horrible motorcycle accident when he was 18. And I could just have his motorcycle.
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post

What jack hole? Orangecicle? He just did all the work for you! Did you look at his link? It really is (or should be) that easy.

To the OP, what bike are we talking about? There are different issues for different models.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post
Jack hole? Some people find some value in the Google site-specific search tool. To each his own. There are a number of threads on raising the low front fender. This one has some examples that might be helpful: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702496

It depends a lot of what kind of brake lines you are running. The old 950s have a crossover line that has to be addressed if you raise the fender. The 990s have the "S" lines, and it makes it a little easier. I'm not sure about the 1190s and how the brake lines run.

But, do some searches. You should find some helpful information . . . like some wonderful pictures of my bike.

Um, guess I should have raised the low fender.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
Maoule OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
The bike is an '11 R. I did some more investigating...my cyclops optimus are mounted to the bottom of the triple clamp as well as my Hella horn. Under full fork compression, I'm pretty sure the existing setup would mildly wack the fender, so any raising will increase the wackage. If I can modify my current light/horn setup without too much drama, maybe raising the fender 1" would be OK...that would double the existing clearance.
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #8
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The bike is an '11 R. I did some more investigating...my cyclops optimus are mounted to the bottom of the triple clamp as well as my Hella horn. Under full fork compression, I'm pretty sure the existing setup would mildly wack the fender, so any raising will increase the wackage. If I can modify my current light/horn setup without too much drama, maybe raising the fender 1" would be OK...that would double the existing clearance.
The last comment in the thread I linked above noted that a guy raised his lower fender, and the fender smashed into the triple on full compression, so . . . . I wanted to put a low fender back on my bike because I like that look, but the old 950 fender was something like $270. Here's what I did, including a description of the parts: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...02&postcount=2

Prior to this, I had converted the old 950 brake lines to 990 "non-ABS" brake lines because of LostRider's crash video involving a crossover line that fell on a knobby tire. (ugly results).
Old 03-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #9
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
OrangeCicle is normally cool, but the jackhole comment was about the jackhole response...not so much the person.

The HOW has a lot of cool stuff, as does this site (this thread, specifically). I didn't find anything about raising the stock fender just a bit (lots of stuff on the high fender kit, though).

I thought the OP's question was a valid one.

No offense to any jackholes that were offended!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
Jack hole? Some people find some value in the Google site-specific search tool. To each his own.

When I finished high school, I wanted to take all my graduation money and buy myself a motorcycle. But my mom said no. See, she had a brother who died in a horrible motorcycle accident when he was 18. And I could just have his motorcycle.
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #10
05magmn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Jack hole? Some people find some value in the Google site-specific search tool. To each his own. There are a number of threads on raising the low front fender. This one has some examples that might be helpful: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702496

It depends a lot of what kind of brake lines you are running. The old 950s have a crossover line that has to be addressed if you raise the fender. The 990s have the "S" lines, and it makes it a little easier. I'm not sure about the 1190s and how the brake lines run.

But, do some searches. You should find some helpful information . . . like some wonderful pictures of my bike.

Um, guess I should have raised the low fender.
What exactly happened to your fender?? Rock in the knobbies ripped it off??
05magmn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:05 PM   #11
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05magmn View Post
What exactly happened to your fender?? Rock in the knobbies ripped it off??
Good question. I'm not sure. I put on a new knobby and then headed out for a group ride on gravel. When riding in deep gravel, I heard a few chunks go through the fender. I'm thinking that some of those did some damage. We stopped at one point on a gravel fire road, and when I went to pull away, the fender literally just destroyed itself. Luckily, I had seen LostRider's video some months before, and I has switched the old brake lines into the newer 990 lines with no crossover line. If I had still had the 950 crossover line on the bike, I would have been dead in the water. With the 990 lines on the bike, I just zip-tied the lines to the forks and rode for the next two days without incident.

Here's what can happen if you have the crossover line: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667236
Old 03-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #12
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,184
There was a thread in here about raising the fender with chain link plates, seemed like it worked reasonably well, but it does need the crossover hose changed out to the one hose per side style.

If you are running knobby front is a smart mod to do. I've had my stock fender pack up with Mexican mud and throw me down at low speed, but it didn't tear off the fender.

"Bad roads, good people. Good roads, bad people." Mama Espinoza
“Ride first, tart second. Sorry bro but that’s the way it has to be.” Cbrit, 2008
“You gas it where I brake!” trackday passenger, Thunderhill, 2005
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #13
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 841
Quote:

I do not see where cables or handling would be effected by raising the plastic fender a little.....but this is one an 1190 S

I have the TT kit, just have not installed as I waiting for tires

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #14
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 937
Yep, I tried this:

Got me a bit of extra mud tolerance

But some stuff just needs a high finder, and I expect it'd be no different on 1190 or any other bike really.

Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #15
05magmn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Good question. I'm not sure. I put on a new knobby and then headed out for a group ride on gravel. When riding in deep gravel, I heard a few chunks go through the fender. I'm thinking that some of those did some damage. We stopped at one point on a gravel fire road, and when I went to pull away, the fender literally just destroyed itself. Luckily, I had seen LostRider's video some months before, and I has switched the old brake lines into the newer 990 lines with no crossover line. If I had still had the 950 crossover line on the bike, I would have been dead in the water. With the 990 lines on the bike, I just zip-tied the lines to the forks and rode for the next two days without incident.

Here's what can happen if you have the crossover line: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667236
I think this is going on my to do list!
05magmn is online now   Reply With Quote