Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #31
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,317
Early thirties? Riding three years? Seven bikes? 20K miles a year? Now THAT is what sounds extreme. Slow down and enjoy life. :)

--Bill
Old 03-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #32
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,419
the choice is all you.

if you love riding, but not the traffic take up dirtbiking or dual-sporting away from the masses.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #33
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
Riding a motorcycle is a risk vs reward activity, I stopped when I thought I'd found someone I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. When the whore dumped me I went back to bikes and love them now more than ever.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:20 PM   #34
torags
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,430
The choice is yours, give it up.... you may be back

I 2006 I head slammed a pole, it came by and broke some shoulder and 3 ribs - all in my tennis shorts; call me stupid. Took almost a year to heal up.

In 2009 I did a 50CC (in 56 hrs) and promised my bride I would give up riding... (I was 70); sold everything.

Last week I finished a Sunday to Sunday cross country of 4,200 miles ... I'm now 75. I think I'll give up cross countries now and just keep the bike for local thrills.
'07 HD XR 883R Sportster "Widow Maker"///Gone!
IBA #17225
torags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #35
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
I don't think you will find anyone on this site that can honestly say they have not thought about the same things you are.
I never have.

My wife has however. She was rear ended while sitting in our car on the way to work at a red light by a young woman driving a Dodge Ram. The irony. She was injured fairly bad and it took a couple of years for her to get back on her bike. She kept thinking what would have happened if she were on her bike at the light instead of in our car. She's back riding again because it's something that she loves.

I did stop riding myself for a few years when my son was about three for two reasons. First, I like to ride fast and there are inherent risks associated. I felt the need to stay alive for my son. Riding sedately or cruising is not relaxing for me, just frustrating.

Second, I really didn't want my kid to get interested in motorcycles. I remember all the crazy shit I did on my bike at sixteen, how many times I almost killed or maimed myself and wanted to protect him from that.

After a few years I bought a dirt bike so I can ride as fast as I want with not much risk of death. Bottom line, neither my wife or I could stay away from motorcycles. Stepping away for awhile is not a permanent decision. If you're not comfortable, wait to get back on or find another way to have fun.

Sparrowhawk screwed with this post 03-29-2014 at 04:55 PM
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #36
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 784
Been thru this already. Got taken out by a deer last year, I told my wife while i was in the hospital,that I would be back on the bike asap. Fear is a horrible thing. There have been a few times since the crash that I have been shit scared riding, but I enjoy it too much to give it up. I have an airbag jacket now as well - if I'd been wearing one at the time, I probably would have walked away. The irony was that I was so focused, and aware of other drivers doing stupid things, that I never had an incident in traffic, and never felt unsafe - my riding style being ultra conservative Then a f'n deer takes me out.
I'm still riding because I love it. OP, use your fear to make sure you never make the same mistake again.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #37
canoeguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
I have been in car wrecks and still drive cars. I just don't focus on a single event that is a culmination of minute events aligning just right or often just chance.

I do what I reasonably can by my estimation to reduce and manage risks.

But I also throw myself down waterfalls in what is essentially a cork so maybe my views are a bit skewed from average.
canoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:25 AM   #38
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyParker51 View Post
I'm 35 years old, live in girlfriend, no kids.
And one day you'll probably be married, a mortgage, and 3 or 4 kids that will grow to be 'normal' teenagers. Think about all of this responsibility........... that's why you should keep riding so you have a reason to escape it all regularly and keep your sanity.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:43 AM   #39
GerJ
Blijde rijder

Oddometer: 100
If you feel unfomfortable and it affects your pleasure in riding, it may make sense to stop. You can alway take it up again later! Meanwhile, you might take the time to assess your riding style. I knew when I was in my twenties and early thirties that for me riding a motorbike would mean courting an early death. Over here riding a motorbike is statistically 15 to 20 times as dangerous as driving a car. The risk is not evenly divided over age groups: the most dangerous age seems to be up to 27 or so. My driving style left much to be desired, my riding style would have been worse. So I took up riding at age 38, when I had calmed down.

The risks are still considerable; I am fully aware of them and accept them and so does my wife, who rides her own bike, but then we have no children. And I actually have become quite a disciplined rider, abiding by the traffic regulations, including those about line markings and overtaking. Still, shit may happen and everybody makes mistakes and has his moments of stupidity, me included.
GerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:06 AM   #40
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,275
I transitioned a lot of my riding to dirt only. And by that I mean dirt bikes in the back of the truck. I'm the same age, married, two kids.

I really am not able to take long trips anymore with young kids, although I do still get a few long weekend trips with buddies. But most of my riding buddies are dirt/trail riders. I fall a lot more now. I find dirt biking to be much more physically exhausting/satisfying. You feel like you push yourself and gather skills much better.

I still have numerous street bikes and don't think I'll ever completely shut the door on riding those, but I still get plenty of fixes day riding in the woods and the excitement is def a lot higher.

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:12 AM   #41
BikeMan
smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer: 249
biker

http://www.weaselsspfld.com/gaggles/bikerscreed.shtml
Old 03-30-2014, 05:15 AM   #42
BikeMan
smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer: 249
biker's creed

http://www.weaselsspfld.com/gaggles/bikerscreed.shtml
Old 03-30-2014, 05:18 AM   #43
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 1,661
What you're feeling is pretty typical. If you crashed your car would you quit driving? If you fell down your stairs would you move? If you got fired from your job would you no longer seek employment? Only you can answer those questions.

Experiencing trauma makes us think and act differently while we're entrenched in it. My advice is to forget about the bike and riding and focus on healing your body, and mind. Once you've emerged from all of this then I'd ask yourself the question.

In time you may view this in a whole new light...in either direction.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:59 AM   #44
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,012
I was talking with my bikes a few months ago and they told me to get a vasectomy, so I did.
Colorado_Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:14 AM   #45
cldiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
When I was 22, (I'm 55 now), I had a crash that put me in the hospital for 10 mos, ICU for 3 mos. I understand what you're thinking. Take your time, bad crashes are terrifying and stick with you for a while. It took me years to start riding again and even then I would sometimes freeze up with fear. Eventually it got better and I believe I'm a better rider today as a result of the crash.

I recommend you take your time, if you love riding it will come back but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't.

Good luck
cldiver is offline   Reply With Quote