Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2014, 07:18 AM   #46
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,534
To me, if you have to ask then you already know the answer. But are you asking the right question? All or nothing is for the party hacks down in CSM. In other words you don't have to simply give up because of cars. There is a whole universe of limiting risk by choosing what, when, how and where you ride.

I'm not a huge fan of freeway, rush hour, urban and heavy traffic riding anymore either. So look at what I ride because that allows me more options. My when is weekend mornings, dual sport trips, etc. My where is offroad, backroads and other less traveled places. How is still fast and hard.

So I still get banged up. But, with luck, it won't be by another Camry or pickup.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:23 AM   #47
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
I've been riding for 10 years, and have never crashed. Over the past year I have found that I've lost the enjoyment that riding used to bring. My 3 scoots sit in the garage 99% of the time. Just recently I sold one, and I am contemplating selling another.

Oddly enough, the fact that I haven't crashed makes me wonder if I should be thankful for the ten years of fun and adventure I enjoyed, and walk away whole. I don't think I would be thinking this way if I still had the passion for riding that I used to.

It's possible that I'm just in a temporary riding funk, but the theme song for my riding this past year could be "The Thrill Is Gone."

After your accident, do you still have the joy and passion riding can bring? If so, it will make it a much more difficult decision. If not, maybe a break is in order.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #48
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 795
Read this article for some perspective.
http://www.medhelp.org/general-healt...ath/193?page=2
steelerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:23 AM   #49
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,043
Riding a motorcycle is not for everyone.

To me, the bike that I am riding, is not near as important as the ride.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #50
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Read this article for some perspective.
http://www.medhelp.org/general-healt...ath/193?page=2
That's actually a pretty interesting read!
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #51
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooktown Geezer View Post
That's actually a pretty interesting read!

Indeed. It seems that the odds of dying from heart disease or cancer in the country are much higher than riding a bike. Also, being a pedestrian holds a higher risk.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #52
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyParker51 View Post
I'm 35 years old, live in girlfriend, no kids. I started riding when I was 32 years old, and have owned seven bikes and put on about 60,000 miles.

One month ago I was involved in a collision, and was hospitalized for a night with a few broken bones and a concussion. That was the extent of my injuries, other than soreness. My motorcycle was totalled.

Now that I'm healed, I'm trying to figure out whether I should give up riding, or go out and buy a replacement bike. I'd like to continue riding, but the risks are extreme, obviously. I'm pondering so much, like I could go out walking and get hurt just as badly. Or get in a car accident and be injured. So I realize it's all a balance.

I'm sure that I am far from the only person who has debated this decision. If anyone cares to share their thoughts, I'm sure they'd be helpful for me to hear.
Quit passing on double yellows. The risks will go down substantially.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:37 PM   #53
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
I have an airbag jacket now as well - if I'd been wearing one at the time, I probably would have walked away.
Curious... why do you believe the outcome would have been different if you were wearing an airbag jacket?
Old 03-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #54
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post
Curious... why do you believe the outcome would have been different if you were wearing an airbag jacket?
That is a good question, and of course I have no proof that it would have made a difference. However, after looking at the construction and inflation coverage of a specific airbag jacket I believe that it would have cut the force of impact substantially. I was thrown from the bike to the left, after the deer hit me on the right. I impacted the ground on my left scapula (shoulder blade) breaking my collar bone and 4 ribs (behind my back) and then rolled over. The airbag jacket provides substantial coverage in that area, so it is very likely it would have helped disperse the force of the impact. My experience with even good quality gear (Olympia X Moto) is that while the cordura protects your from shredding your skin, the small plastic pads in the elbows, back and shoulders really don't help that much. Sure, they help some but you pass a point when the force of your body (180Lbs) hitting the road at 32 miles per hour breaks bones easily.
Am I saying that an airbag jacket will somehow make you invincible, of course not - but when you look at the data, they do a much better job at dispersing energy than even the best armor. So, I'll wear one.
Needless to say that if you ride into a pole at 60MPH, an airbag vest or jacket isn't going to do anything.
Some may argue that wearing this kind of equipment is not what riding is all about, etc etc. Its strange though how when your sitting at home in pain all busted up and in pain, your "perspective" changes a little.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #55
DrLax
Go Big

Oddometer: 212
Do a track day ride. Everyone going the same direction and no cagers out to kill you.
DrLax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #56
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
I've been riding for 10 years, and have never crashed. Over the past year I have found that I've lost the enjoyment that riding used to bring. My 3 scoots sit in the garage 99% of the time. Just recently I sold one, and I am contemplating selling another.

Oddly enough, the fact that I haven't crashed makes me wonder if I should be thankful for the ten years of fun and adventure I enjoyed, and walk away whole. I don't think I would be thinking this way if I still had the passion for riding that I used to.

It's possible that I'm just in a temporary riding funk, but the theme song for my riding this past year could be "The Thrill Is Gone."

After your accident, do you still have the joy and passion riding can bring? If so, it will make it a much more difficult decision. If not, maybe a break is in order.
Maybe you should get a MOTORCYCLE

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #57
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:

well ten years is a good while. some have rode more, some less. such as myself. but however long we've rode i am curious about something

you live in California, as do i. great weather, lots of riding to everywhere to be done. but i don't want to know what makes riding so unattractive to you atm, but what makes a car more attractive?

other then the practical things (passengers, family, work obligations, big shopping trips, etc) what makes that mode of transport seem desirable?

you're closed in, the road closes up, i find my bikes a more comfortable place to sit then IN a car, as on a bike i can stretch my legs, relieve my ass if sore, and even hop off the bike at a light and stretch if i want! much more range of motion is possible on a bike

so why a car if traveling on your own? is it the heat and cold? do you not like being outside anymore? how can you WANT to drive around like everyone else, just...stuck?

and don't you ever think "DAMMIT. SCREW THIS CAR!!" when a bike passes you and you are left behind, while the bike speeds out of sight? that could be YOU! but instead you just.....sit there?

question for anyone who cares to answer, really. driving a car means nothing to me now, and is a big PITA when i have to be in one, or drive one. its not horrible, it just doesn't compare imo, or even come close to riding. even one of my scooters is preferable

so, whats up with that?
Old 03-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #58
DLCGSER
New Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Remember why!!!

Why did you start riding in the first place? If that feeling is still in your soul then you have your answer, if it is gone that is your answer also. Maybe switch to dirt riding till you get that feeling back again . You have to ride aware and defensively, but if that feeling is gone hang it up for you safety.

WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT YOU BRING ABOUT !!
DLCGSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #59
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
i am now thinking in a year or two i will want my sisters Cadillac

holy crap if that day ever comes
Old 03-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #60
gpounce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
you're closed in, the road closes up, i find my bikes a more comfortable place to sit then IN a car, as on a bike i can stretch my legs, relieve my ass if sore, and even hop off the bike at a light and stretch if i want! much more range of motion is possible on a bike

so why a car if traveling on your own? is it the heat and cold? do you not like being outside anymore? how can you WANT to drive around like everyone else, just...stuck?

and don't you ever think "DAMMIT. SCREW THIS CAR!!" when a bike passes you and you are left behind, while the bike speeds out of sight? that could be YOU! but instead you just.....sit there?

+1 - perfectly expresses why I love riding, the more I learn doing it the more I like it. Cars are of no interest, no matter how fancy or pretty- all just transport. I ride for commuting mostly but also take trips when I can- the longer touring rides are lots more fun than pounding out the the M-F gig but even that is a little mini-adventure every day. I feel like such a loser when I'm in the car and a bike cruises past and I kind-of regret every good weather day when circumstances put me in the cage.