Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2014, 07:54 PM   #61
Southmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
My first inclination was to say "you have to figure out whats inside you". But you can't "figure it out". You need to stay loose, not stress about it. The answer will come, bye n' bye..

I've been riding for 45 years, ever since I found a way to get a bike. Some years ago (25?), I was first on the scene of a bad bike wreck (in the city). I hung it up for about a year and a half. Not a conscious decision, I just didn't want to ride so I didn't.

The memory didn't completely fade, but I got to where I wanted to ride again. So I did.

Now I ride 70 miles round trip to work whenever the weather is tolerable, and love it. I ride trials, and take a couple major dual-sport camping trips every year. My son rides, though he's more dirt-oriented.

Some activities have risks, and you shouldn't participate if it doesn't feel right. Biking and flying are the two where I've seen this idea born out.

I guess my bottom line advice is to not stress about it and do what feels right. You're only 35, lotsa years ahead of you. This isn't a hard decision you have to make now. Give it a rest, you have time.

Southmt screwed with this post 03-30-2014 at 08:01 PM
Southmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #62
travlr_45
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Iv had 5 get off's in my life. Last 1 was last summer on a dirt bike. Broke my left wrist ( and I'm left handed) never once considered giving up the ride. Just last January added #5 to the garage. Yes, I'm addicted. ..... If it scares/worries you or your G/F then not riding may be the best thing. Your choice.
travlr_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:17 AM   #63
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Indeed. It seems that the odds of dying from heart disease or cancer in the country are much higher than riding a bike. Also, being a pedestrian holds a higher risk.
I checked the state statistics for where I live. More motorcyclists (71) were killed than pedestrians (60) in 2013. Then consider the percentage of the population engaged in motorcycling v's pedestrians and the results published in that article not only seem 'odd', they are certainly massively incorrect, at least where I live.
JohnCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:08 AM   #64
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
I checked the state statistics for where I live. More motorcyclists (71) were killed than pedestrians (60) in 2013. Then consider the percentage of the population engaged in motorcycling v's pedestrians and the results published in that article not only seem 'odd', they are certainly massively incorrect, at least where I live.

They say there are lies, damn lies, and then statistics. In the end I just figured, screw it, let's ride.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #65
sphyrnidus
born to ride

Oddometer: 125
My SO used her bike for commuting 60 km each day. One morning she was hit by a lane changing cager . She wasn't hurt to bad, the bike was totalled. It scared her shitless so she bought a car and was rear ended twice within one year, both cars were wrecked. Luckilly she was not hurt in either accident. After some years she started riding again and loves it more than ever.

I guess even if you stop riding now, it is not a decision one can reverse at any point in time...
Old 04-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #66
Vankaye
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlr_45 View Post
Iv had 5 get off's in my life. Last 1 was last summer on a dirt bike. Broke my left wrist ( and I'm left handed) never once considered giving up the ride. Just last January added #5 to the garage. Yes, I'm addicted. ..... If it scares/worries you or your G/F then not riding may be the best thing. Your choice.
Man, I have 5 get-offs everytime I get on my dirtbike

Don't ride much on the street anymore. I feed my fever by riding in the woods.
I don't have a need-for-speed. I don't miss riding on the road. The woods are so much more relaxing and stress free.

I fall off my dirtbikes enough to know that when you do get-off... it happens fast. Quick as lightning. That really sticks with me when I'm on asphalt.
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #67
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,111
Guys, stop answering to this guy, he's clearly a troll.

Quote:
I'm 35 years old, live in girlfriend, no kids. I started riding when I was 32 years old, and have owned seven bikes and put on about 60,000 miles.
3 years riding, started at 32, 60k miles?! 20k miles a year for a noob?! Suspicious...

7 bikes in 3 years? OK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyParker51 View Post
I ride a Kawasaki Concours 1400 and have been riding my entire life.
OK, can you explain how 3 years (from 32 to 35 years old) can be called an "entire life"?

Quote:
This is my first accident in about 450,000 miles on two wheels.
This guy's Jesus or what?! He can suddenly turn 60k miles into 450k miles in a snap!

When confronted to his inconsistency, he answered this:

Quote:
Sorry, I am on pain meds. I have been riding dirt all of my life. Started riding street at 32. I have 60,000 miles under my belt and 4500 hours on dirt bikes.
So 450k miles - 60k miles "on the street" = 390k miles

390k miles / 4500 hours on dirt bike = 86 mph on a dirt bike? Wow, the trails are nice down there!

Poor boy, he's on pain meds after all... even if he admitted:

Quote:
Now that I'm healed
Shouldn't still need pain medication then.

Is it a clear case of pain meds addiction?

This guy's false from the start.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #68
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,294
Yeah, but he brought some weirdo's out of the woodwork.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #69
jmq3rd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Y'all are all just jealous that you can't average 86mph on the dirt.

Don't blame the OP for your inadequacies!
jmq3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #70
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
There is "quantity" of a life lived, and there is "quality" of a life lived. I choose to have what is for me, a quality life.
One morning last year, I went to my office on what was just another morning, and collapsed. Next thing I know, I'm being rushed into surgery. A quick five-way bypass later, and I'm informed the estimate was that, were it not for the surgery, I would have been dead in anywhere from eight to twenty hours.
Having come so close to death, I realized I had been doing it all wrong. How much ever life I have left at this point is going to be much "gooderer." And if that time is only two weeks, it will be a quality two weeks. I no longer "save" the good liquor for special events, but enjoy it, as long as it lasts.
Good luck with your decision.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:06 PM   #71
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Take a break from it if you feel the need. After I hit a deer (brokencollarbone and totaled bike), I took about a year off from riding before my mind told me it was time to get back on 2 wheels.

Only you can decide when it is time to stop. Don't do it for anybody else besides you. Life itself is risky. Minimize the risks, but don't let "what-if's" cheat you out of participating in an activity you enjoy.