User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
I just don't feel it anymore.

Ramble Warning Below, Read at your Own Risk!

I remember a time when I breathed, ate, dreamed of motorcycling. All day, every day, it ran through my veins. I loved it, I couldn't stop thinking about it, I had to immerse myself in it 24/7. It was my passion, my one true love.

But life has changed. With the job I've had for awhile now, I have to commute to California (from Phoenix) on a fairly regular basis. I have to deal with the rush hour and idiots here, the rush hour and idiots there- honking horns, close calls, traffic jams. It's been like this for awhile.

I'm lucky to have a lady who likes to actually share life with me. She tags along with me and I tag along with her, we stick together. When I go riding, 99% of the time she comes along on the back. I have a 2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure. The bike screams "Take me off road" but whenever I do I always have a hard time being two up. It just doesn't seem to work well. I know some have made it work but for me I'm always worried to death about dropping the bike with her on it, I don't want her to get hurt. When it's just me? Balls to the walls, who gives a #%&. I've followed the proper procedures, I deflate the tires to the proper PSI and as long as I'm on a well packed and grated dirt road (which most people seem to give me shit for) we do fine, but when you hit those large spots of loose rocks and sand, I've had some very close calls...

Those close calls by myself on a dirt bike would probably make me go "LOL HAHAHA CLOSE ONE" but with her and on a $24k dollar motorcycle it makes me go "Oh Jesus, please let this end." I find it very hard to find the types of "dirt roads" I've been looking for. A lot start out just find but those pockets of sand and loose rocks attack inevitably and often without warning.

I absolutely love the bike I have, which we have aptly named "Behemoth". It is beautiful and it is awesome, but it is also very big and very top heavy. Riding around in traffic it tends to be a bit cumbersome. Nothing I can't take care of, but it does require more work at slow speeds. It gets annoying after awhile.

I know most people will say "The fix for you is to stick to the backroads and start some serious day trip'n" which I agree, I need to do more of. But it seems like I never quite have the time for that and as of late it never seems to really work out. When I do take a "day trip" I always fight at odds with myself as to what gear to wear. I've got a set of "4 season" gear, gloves boots jacket pants, but on a hot day here in Arizona it makes you absolutely miserable. Then again, if I go out in a t-shirt, shorts and my vans it makes me feel like an absolute idiot... And naked to. I'm guessing a very light weight jacket paired with some blue jeans would make me feel better, but again I'm not sure, not when the heat gets up there and if you take a "adventure ride" and it starts raining on you in that tiny mesh jacket, then what? I like to be prepared. I know I know, I'm over thinking this one. But I never seem to be in my element anymore, or I'm uncomfortable.

I've mulled over the idea of getting another bike. Parting with Behemoth almost scares me, I love the bike to death. I've ridden a few Harley's I like, but I hate the culture associated with it. I've always been a motorcycle enthusiast and love the "atmosphere" associated with adventure/touring bikes. The Harley culture seems to be more of a "let's pretend to be angry on the weekend, fists in the wind- because we can't at our day jobs. Oh, why is that guy waving at me? What does counter steer mean?" sort of thing filled with people who I seriously doubt even have their endorsements.

I pay monthly for my motorcycle and often question, "Could I pay this much monthly for something that is less of a hassle and more enjoyable?" Some times, it feels like I'm just trying to keep myself in motorcycling. Anyone I know that I've talked to about it has said "NO NO NO! Don't sell a motorcycle to get X_item/toy, you'll be sorry!" so I keep on trying. I've entertained the idea of getting a Jet Ski. They look incredibly fun and I love being around the water, I could even pull one with my car, but people have told me I would get bored of it very quickly (even though there's a big beautiful lake 15 minutes from me, about 3 more less than an hour from me and Lake Havisu is just under 3 hours away). It seems fun but everyone has said I'm nuts for it.

I remember a time when I was more heavily into sport bikes and tended to ride them solo. I would go extremely fast, carve the canyons and seek thrills on it. Then you begin to mature and realize those speeding tickets are effecting your insurance rates and are risking the life that is not just yours anymore. Again, I was looking at this "fastest on the market Jet Ski" (tops out just under 90mph bone stock) and thought "It's still dangerous but maybe a better way to get some thrill seeking back into my life?" Again though, people said it would get boring quickly and the thrill would wear off. I dunno, I've never ridden a Jet Ski before...

I looked at UTV's being in Arizona- an off road wonderland. The things seem like a ton of fun but there's one huge problem, the price. They are unbelievably overpriced due to supply and demand. $20,000 for a glorified go cart with some suspension and off road tires? About half that would be fair and peg my interest. I also looked into dirt bikes, figured it would be a good way for me and the old lady to ride around together and "possibly" decrease some of the risks associated with street riding, but it has been a good decade since I rode a true dirt bike and keep thinking they are highly unstable (more stress than fun).

If I had the answer, I guess I wouldn't be posting right here. I'm just looking for some feedback. I want to feel some excitement again, some joy without stress and discomfort. If anyone has any suggestions or could share some light on the matter, maybe you've dealt with similar? I'm all for hearing it.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
TedG540
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
[B] I have a 2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure. The bike screams "Take me off road"...........
Those close calls by myself on a dirt bike.....

A 575 lb bike is not a dirt bike. You will have more fun on a > 300 lb dual sport.
TedG540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG540 View Post
A 575 lb bike is not a dirt bike. You will have more fun on a > 300 lb dual sport.
When a bike is that much lighter, does it make that big of a difference off road? I know even those sit up quite high. And why dual sport, why not dirt bike? Are you talking about things like this:

http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/500-xc-...ml#prettyPhoto
Old 03-30-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Why not buy a cheap 250 dual sport and enjoy some solo riding time to time .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Why not buy a cheap 250 dual sport and enjoy some solo riding time to time .
Because it's not quite what I'm looking for right now. I want an activity me and the missus can share together. I already have to take enough time away from home with my work, I want something we can enjoy together. That's one thing I know is important right now.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,218
Not a DR350 though. You'll end up selling your GS.

Sent from an iPad aspiring to be a latop.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Get her a cheap 250 or 200 too

Jet skis are fun for about a hour maybe 2 or even 3 if your misses looks good in a bikini and yall can find a quiet place .

UTVs ...... please I can build a full out race buggy for the money or a rock crawling rig , or 3 or 4 cheap 4x4s and beat the hell out of them .
Old 03-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
Not a DR350 though. You'll end up selling your GS.
How so?

Quote:
Get her a cheap 250 or 200 too

Jet skis are fun for about a hour maybe 2 or even 3 if your misses looks good in a bikini and yall can find a quiet place .

UTVs ...... please I can build a full out race buggy for the money or a rock crawling rig , or 3 or 4 cheap 4x4s and beat the hell out of them .
At a time? Or overall? It'd suck to go pay 10k+ for a toy then get bored of it two hours later and never want to use it again

And yes, she looks great in a Bikini.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #9
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

For me it was over all . I had a friend that bought a set of the biggest baddest skis he could back in 2002 or so . Since he had 2 of them on the trailer he hated going out on one and leaving one at the ramp since his girlfriend didnt like driving one so he would call me up and see if me and my gf wanted to take the other one out since on weekends we stayed on the lake . Basically it was free and it still wasnt worth it I enjoyed my bassboat more , just as fast at 72 mph with much more room . Everyone I know that has bought a jetski that didnt have a place on the lake has sold it in 1 or 2 seasons.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #10
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Quote:
For me it was over all . I had a friend that bought a set of the biggest baddest skis he could back in 2002 or so . Since he had 2 of them on the trailer he hated going out on one and leaving one at the ramp since his girlfriend didnt like driving one so he would call me up and see if me and my gf wanted to take the other one out since on weekends we stayed on the lake . Basically it was free and it still wasnt worth it I enjoyed my bassboat more , just as fast at 72 mph with much more room . Everyone I know that has bought a jetski that didnt have a place on the lake has sold it in 1 or 2 seasons.
See, I keep hearing this but don't quite understand it. They just look like they would be a lot of fun on a interesting lake. I'm not quite sure what the sensation is like but I also think part of it might just be going out to the lake, getting on the water, having a picnic and enjoying the whole experience, but I may be- and probably am completely wrong There seems to be a lot more people echoing what you say over the internet.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
If you love to ride you will regret giving up the bike for something else.

If not, then get rid of it. Find something else you can do together.
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #12
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
How so?
How else could you afford to buy more DR's?

Sent from an iPad aspiring to be a latop.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:44 PM   #13
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
I have been riding a long time, grew up on motorcycles, and had all sorts of low end bikes, and a few nice ones.

What got me really worked up about bikes was first getting a vintage bike to play with (1969 Daytona), got it for a low price, started dirt riding it mostly, then started fixing it up as a do all bike.
Too many built in problems so it got sold and I tried other (bigger) bikes, and they were no fun really.
The Daytona was good for a longer street ride, great for blasting down dirt roads and trails, good 2 up with my wife, was light, comfortable and fun.
The big bikes were DULL, plenty of power, plenty of weight, no off roading, way too heavy, wrong tires, expensive bikes.

After a bad dirt crash, I downsized, plus spending a LOT less money on motorcycles was also a plus.
I got a silly little TU250. Its close to the old Daytona in speed and comfort, it sucks in the dirt, but on the street, it turns every ride into a road race, full throttle rev the snot out of it fun.
I have had more fun on the TU for the last 3 years then any other bike I ever had I think, partly because unlike some others, the TU always runs and never needs anything but normal service, despite the abuse of riding it wide open all the time.

For the dirt, I got an old XT200, 240 pounds and good suspension, rev the snot out of it as well, shift and hold on!
$500.00 bike, quite a hoot on the street or in the dirt.

2 up dirt riding does not really work, unless you have two strong tough people wearing all the gear on a lighter bike.

Years ago, my wife did a little dirt riding on the back of the old Triumph, sand was tough, and really, dirt riding 2 up is never much fun.
Kids can do it, but two big adults is really not much fun.

The ideal 2 up dirt bike is a big bike with a low center of gravity, about 300 pounds, about 60 hp, and plenty of suspension, not to say strong sub frame, big gas tank, and nice seat.

Big Wan and little Wan make it look easy and fun, but they are not normal people...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #14
Diamondman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I agree on the jet ski

Wife talked me into a ski, it's great two or three times a year. I'm sure I'm going to catch a bunch of flack over this, but a used Rzr or teryx side by side is a blast. Here in the mountains of East TN, they are virtually un stoppable. Keep the big bike for two up riding on the streets, buy a used sxs for off-road.
Diamondman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #15
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I have been riding a long time, grew up on motorcycles, and had all sorts of low end bikes, and a few nice ones.

What got me really worked up about bikes was first getting a vintage bike to play with (1969 Daytona), got it for a low price, started dirt riding it mostly, then started fixing it up as a do all bike.
Too many built in problems so it got sold and I tried other (bigger) bikes, and they were no fun really.
The Daytona was good for a longer street ride, great for blasting down dirt roads and trails, good 2 up with my wife, was light, comfortable and fun.
The big bikes were DULL, plenty of power, plenty of weight, no off roading, way too heavy, wrong tires, expensive bikes.

After a bad dirt crash, I downsized, plus spending a LOT less money on motorcycles was also a plus.
I got a silly little TU250. Its close to the old Daytona in speed and comfort, it sucks in the dirt, but on the street, it turns every ride into a road race, full throttle rev the snot out of it fun.
I have had more fun on the TU for the last 3 years then any other bike I ever had I think, partly because unlike some others, the TU always runs and never needs anything but normal service, despite the abuse of riding it wide open all the time.

For the dirt, I got an old XT200, 240 pounds and good suspension, rev the snot out of it as well, shift and hold on!
$500.00 bike, quite a hoot on the street or in the dirt.

2 up dirt riding does not really work, unless you have two strong tough people wearing all the gear on a lighter bike.

Years ago, my wife did a little dirt riding on the back of the old Triumph, sand was tough, and really, dirt riding 2 up is never much fun.
Kids can do it, but two big adults is really not much fun.

The ideal 2 up dirt bike is a big bike with a low center of gravity, about 300 pounds, about 60 hp, and plenty of suspension, not to say strong sub frame, big gas tank, and nice seat.

Big Wan and little Wan make it look easy and fun, but they are not normal people...
Seems to be true. Once the big beemer is actually underway and on the street it's a breeze. Very stable, good handling, etc.

Not long ago I actually rode a URAL. I had a blast with it, but I just feel they are way too much money for what you are getting. If they were just a little bit less for what you got I'd be all over them. It does make off road riding two up not only possible but pleasurable from what I've heard and it was just a cooky fun experience on the street as well. Not sure how it would be in the long term and I really have no interest in a non-ural sidecar rig. I like the oldschool-out-of-the-box factor with them.