Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #16
GerJ
Blijde rijder

Oddometer: 114
Would your missus be averse to riding her own bike? Then she would be responsible for herself and riding one-up is less work and more fun.
GerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #17
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
Buy a cheap jeep and have a ball exploring with your lady.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #18
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondman View Post
Wife talked me into a ski, it's great two or three times a year. I'm sure I'm going to catch a bunch of flack over this, but a used Rzr or teryx side by side is a blast. Here in the mountains of East TN, they are virtually un stoppable. Keep the big bike for two up riding on the streets, buy a used sxs for off-road.
See that's another thing. Here in Arizona you can ride a jet ski or boat year round. It's a rare day when during the day it ever drops below about 70, even during the dead of winter and is usually bright, sunny and pretty and I live right down the street from a nice lake, but hey, if it gets boring I certainly don't want to waste the money on it.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #19
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
When a bike is that much lighter, does it make that big of a difference off road?
Yes, it can.

Quote:
I know even those sit up quite high. And why dual sport, why not dirt bike?
Do you feel like hauling a trailer everywhere? Loading/Unloading a pickup or a trailer all the time? Working on bikes when they require maintenance after EVERY ride, because their service intervals are measured in HOURS rather than in THOUSANDS of miles? Do you feel like not being able to link trails?

Quote:
Are you talking about things like this:

http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/500-xc-...ml#prettyPhoto
Why does it have to be a $10K+ new KTM? Try a $2000 used DR650SE and a $1500 DR350SE. Try a used Husky TE610/630 or two. Try a used DR-Z400S or two. Try a WR290R, a KLX351S, or even a Scrambler with knobs.

If you still want to ride 2up, try a $9K-or-less used Tiger 800XC with a front knob and a rear semi-knob. Try a used F800GS, or even a used 950SE or A.

www.bikefinds.com
www.searchtempest.com
www.procycle.us (Look at the DR650, DR350, and DR-Z400 upgrades possible.)
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.

Kommando screwed with this post 03-30-2014 at 01:07 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #20
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
Buy a cheap jeep and have a ball exploring with your lady.
I've heavily considered this. I could even trade my car in for a decent jeep. The thing is, something about "daily vehicle + off road" just doesn't click with me. It doesn't seem fun or interesting. I'm sure it's nice to explore with but I know I'd get bored. Now, as for having it as just a daily commuter I can use off road some times, I still might do that here in the coming times. I've been off road in a Jeep before though and it's not that incredibly exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerJ View Post
Would your missus be averse to riding her own bike? Then she would be responsible for herself and riding one-up is less work and more fun.
Well, she would need to learn how to ride, take the course and right now we would be a little bit tight to take on another bike. Maybe if I sold this one and got another, but the thing is, while I trust her and she's more attentive than 99% of all other motorists, she seems to like being on the back more and it seems to make me feel better too. I've been riding for about 17 years now and halfway trust my ability to avoid the assassins out on the road. Not that I wouldn't trust her but again, I'd be stressing out a bit much.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #21
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
See, I keep hearing this but don't quite understand it. They just look like they would be a lot of fun on a interesting lake. I'm not quite sure what the sensation is like but I also think part of it might just be going out to the lake, getting on the water, having a picnic and enjoying the whole experience, but I may be- and probably am completely wrong There seems to be a lot more people echoing what you say over the internet.
i had a $13,000 jet ski. now i have a $4,000 motorcycle. the bike is much more fun, and saw more use in a year then the sea-doo did in the 5 years we owned it. the only fun thing about the sea-doo was that it hauled ass, and even that got really boring after a while. couldnt fish from it, couldnt slalom behind it, it just plain could not do a lot of things that the boats could. so time after time, the ski was left at the docks in favor of the ski boat or pontoon boats our friends had. even just taking it out for an afternoon with the girlfriend to a sand bar was pretty boring. there really is not a lot of storage space to hold picnic things on it.

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #22
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Why does it have to be a $10K+ new KTM? Try a $2000 used DR650SE and a $1500 DR350SE. Try a used Husky TE610/630 or two. Try a used DR-Z400S or two. Try a WR290R, a KLX351S, or even a Scrambler with knobs.

If you still want to ride 2up, try an $8000 used Tiger 800XC with a front knob and a rear semi-knob. Try a used F800GS, or even a used 950SE or A.
Well, I mainly meant that kind of bike in particular, not that exact one. And yeah, I hate the "m word" so anything with less maintenance would certainly be better and linking trails like you say would be handy. Do they make smaller sized enduro bikes like that and is it as capable off road as a true dirt bike? I might not mind so much having the missus riding on the road if we're out in the country just linking trails, I could deal with that, but she's only 5'4. I probably would invest in a trailer though, just to get out of the city.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:12 PM   #23
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
I've heavily considered this. I could even trade my car in for a decent jeep. The thing is, something about "daily vehicle + off road" just doesn't click with me. It doesn't seem fun or interesting. I'm sure it's nice to explore with but I know I'd get bored. Now, as for having it as just a daily commuter I can use off road some times, I still might do that here in the coming times. I've been off road in a Jeep before though and it's not that incredibly exciting.
Trade the behemoth for a used DL650, a used DR650SE, a stock 4cyl Jeep YJ, and a DR350SE. Keep your present car. You can ride dirt and street with any of the bikes, she can drive the Jeep or one of the smaller bikes when you want to offroad together, and if you bust something, you still have other options to get to work.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #24
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,007
If you're still making payments on your GSA then you're stuck with it IMO.
I just think you would lose too much money on the deal if you try to get out of it.

So my advice would be to examine your problems in terms of limits, and living within them.

Gear too uncomfortable in the heat: There is no such thing as '4-season' riding gear. Get appropriate protective gear for your summertime and retire your '4-season' stuff to the 2-seasons where it belongs (keeping in mind that you don't even have the 4th season where you live).

Not confident riding 2-up offroad: Then don't. Get some offroad training (solo) on your bike to build confidence and skills. Later, there are even places that have off-road two-up training for pilot and passenger (RawHyde I believe). In both of those areas you will gain confidence and enjoy the bike more fully. In the course of this you may also convince your significant other to try her hand at riding as well. I highly recommend MSF DirtBike School. Do it as a couple's thing. They provide the bike (small, light dirtbike).
Hands down the easiest and most fun way to introduce a new rider to learn to ride any motorcycle.

Quote:
I have to commute to California (from Phoenix) on a fairly regular basis. I have to deal with the rush hour and idiots here, the rush hour and idiots there- honking horns, close calls, traffic jams.
Do you listen to music during your commute?
If not, look into some custom molded earphones. You get fitted for them at an audiologist then the mold is sent away and what you get back will allow you to block out noise and listen to music at a low volume level. That really reduces stress and allows you to fell fresh at the end of the ride.
Also, you mentioned the bike being cumbersome and top-heavy in traffic. Take a close look at whatever luggage solution you're using on your commute. Strip it down as much as possible, and try to keep the weight as low and centered as possible.
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #25
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Trade the behemoth for a used DL650, a used DR650SE, a stock 4cyl Jeep YJ, and a DR350SE. Keep your present car. You can ride dirt and street with any of the bikes, she can drive the Jeep or one of the smaller bikes when you want to offroad together, and if you bust something, you still have other options to get to work.
The Behemoth isn't paid off. I'm still making payments on it, so it's not like I could just sell it and get an instant 20 grand out of it. If I could this all would be a lot easier. Not that I couldn't make a couple of bikes work.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #26
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopaMundial View Post
If you're still making payments on your GSA then you're stuck with it IMO.
I just think you would lose too much money on the deal if you try to get out of it.

So my advice would be to examine your problems in terms of limits, and living within them.

Gear too uncomfortable in the heat: There is no such thing as '4-season' riding gear. Get appropriate protective gear for your summertime and retire your '4-season' stuff to the 2-seasons where it belongs (keeping in mind that you don't even have the 4th season where you live).

Not confident riding 2-up offroad: Then don't. Get some offroad training (solo) on your bike to build confidence and skills. Later, there are even places that have off-road two-up training for pilot and passenger (RawHyde I believe). In both of those areas you will gain confidence and enjoy the bike more fully. In the course of this you may also convince your significant other to try her hand at riding as well. I highly recommend MSF DirtBike School. Do it as a couple's thing. They provide the bike (small, light dirtbike).
Hands down the easiest and most fun way to introduce a new rider to learn to ride any motorcycle.

Do you listen to music during your commute?
If not, look into some custom molded earphones. You get fitted for them at an audiologist then the mold is sent away and what you get back will allow you to block out noise and listen to music at a low volume level. That really reduces stress and allows you to fell fresh at the end of the ride.
Also, you mentioned the bike being cumbersome and top-heavy in traffic. Take a close look at whatever luggage solution you're using on your commute. Strip it down as much as possible, and try to keep the weight as low and centered as possible.
I wouldn't really lose a lot at this point, I would just break even. It's doable and I wouldn't mind getting into something else if it brings me enjoyment. Yes, I listen to music in traffic whether I'm on a bike or in a car. I've got some amazing ear buds (for bike) as well, they drown out 95% of the noise and have great clarity. I've also been curious, does the top box make the bike more unstable even when nothing is in it? I know what you mean about lowering the center of gravity. And you're right, Arizona pretty much has two seaons, Hot and Mild But.. It does rain here and rains outside of here, I like to be ready for rain.

If I'm stuck with the Behemoth, it certainly won't depress me. I do love the bike still. I just find you guys are a lot cheaper to discuss these things with than a psychiatrist

A lot of it I will admit is probably due to my situation as well. In about 2-3 months I should be getting a "promotion" that'll allow me to not have to commute to California, give me more $$$ (less stress) and give me more time at home (or on the bike).
Old 03-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #27
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,164
Trade it for a Multistrada
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #28
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Im on my 4th boat Ive had a 20 foot 200 hp bass boat , a 18 foot 90 hp bass boat ,14 ft with a 15 hp and now Im on the oldest cheapest pontoon boat I could find which happened to be a 88 24 ft party barge for 1000 bucks .Plus have have 4 family members with homes on the lake here with jet skis and ski boats I could ride anytime I want not to count friends . I also have 3 kayaks and if given a choice what to go out on its going to be the kayaks . I got rid of the bass boat because it sucked compared to the kayaks when it came down to being happy on the water .I got the pontoon boat since my wife isnt a kayak person yet plus I can ferry the kayaks on the larger lakes if need be for me and my son since he has some disabilities . Plus living 5 minutes off of one 40 mile long lake and 15 minutes off of a larger lake then having 2 separate rivers with in 15 minutes and 5 smaller lakes with in 30 minutes there is some sort of law I have to keep some sort of motor boat at all times

I guess my point it less is more alot of times when it comes to be happy . With water craft you have to worry about motors , insurance , trailer , , transport ,batterys , safty equipment coast guard/warden stops , haul upkeep (gelcoat and the like) ect ect , With the kayak I dont worry about nothing but my saftey stuff .

I think the same things go for your bike you have a 24K peice of machinery that you are too worried about to enjoy so why not get something that you wont worry about as much .

Hawk62cj5 screwed with this post 03-30-2014 at 01:46 PM
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #29
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
Trade it for a Multistrada
Hell no.

Next question.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #30
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Well, I mainly meant that kind of bike in particular, not that exact one. And yeah, I hate the "m word" so anything with less maintenance would certainly be better and linking trails like you say would be handy. Do they make smaller sized enduro bikes like that and is it as capable off road as a true dirt bike? I might not mind so much having the missus riding on the road if we're out in the country just linking trails, I could deal with that, but she's only 5'4. I probably would invest in a trailer though, just to get out of the city.
I trail-ride in the sand and mud on a DR650SE with guys on YZ450s, KX450s, CRF250s, and DR-Z400s. A 367lb dualsport with a 21" front DOT knob is going to be a heck of a lot better in the dirt than the behemoth you're riding now. I drift, jump, ride whoops, wheely, and thread sandy/muddy/rooty/rocky singletrack on it. A Tiger 800XC or F800GS with a 21" front DOT knob will be better than the behemoth in dirt too. These bikes will also cruise slab and carve canyons without a problem, as long as the tires aren't sketchy on pavement and the suspension isn't kaput.

I also commute 2up on the DR, tour 2up on it, do solo multi-state slab trips, and hoon around town on it. It's not the most comfortable 2up, but it'll do it for some distance if we stop for frequent breaks. A bike with more space would be better, but then you're typically adding weight. Even a bigger bike like a Tiger 800XC or a Scrambler would tend to be better offroad than the behemoth you're presently riding though.

On pavement, the 500cc+ thumpers will generally cruise fast enough to get you arrested in any state. The 500cc+ multi-cylinder bikes generally go even faster. If your passenger is only 5'4", and you're not luxo-butt old farts that get uncomfortable every 5 miles on anything short of a touring bike, I don't see any reason why downsizing would be a problem.

Sell the $24K behemoth. Get a dirtier bike or two...and maybe a beater bargain Jeep with a 500lb-cap roofrack and some fishing kayaks with sails.