Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #31
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
you're right, Arizona pretty much has two seaons, Hot and Mild But.. It does rain here and rains outside of here, I like to be ready for rain.
My advice in that case is to look strictly for armor and abrasion resistance. Then carry a separate set of packable rain gear to put over top. If it's going to rain you will almost always know it's coming. Just pull over and put your rain gear on.
Riding around on a sunny day in Arizona summer wearing waterproof gear is silly IMO. You end up sweating when it's hot, and then when it rains you don't really stay dry anyway because you will have made compromises to the heat.
So armor/abrasion in your main gear, and then an outer rain gear layer that you can pack along. Best of both worlds.
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #32
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Hell no.

Next question.
If a Multi doesn't make you want to get out and ride you should just give up.

The dirt can be a nasty place if you don't have 100% of your confidence.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #33
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Find a couple of small dual sports, anything from TW200 to, meh, DR650 (not really small, but compared to your BMW it will seem so), put some basic racks on the back, grab some camping gear and go explore. You'll get the promotion soon enough, the commute and the stress will be gone, you'll still have the bike you love for two-up touring, and a couple of little ones for fun.

Rent some JetSkis, it'll be fun, but I think you'll see what the others are saying. You think trail linking on an unplated bike is a hassle? Try it on something that doesn't cross land. There are areas, but Arizona isn't one of them.

Or, keep the BMW. Don't change anything. Let the stress get to you. Let your home life go. Have a bitter breakup. Then ride to Starbucks and bitch about it all.

But I'd recommend the first one. And maybe the second too. The third one will require a whale foreskin riding suit, which get pricey, from what I hear.

MV
Old 03-30-2014, 03:24 PM   #34
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 827
I hate to say this, but it sounds like you don't like the GS as much as you think you do? I had a 2012 RT. I "loved the bike" I kept telling myself, and it was an awesome machine, comfy, fast enough, handled well, heated seats, etc etc etc.

In the end, It just didn't do anything for me, it was boring. Every time I walked away from it, I never turned around and looked at it again, with the "yeah, thats my bike feeling" It was a bad match for my riding style and my needs. Very functional, but no excitement. It went "Vrrrrrrrr".....not "VROOOOOM!!!!"

Then I rode the new GSW. Bright red, raspy exhaust. spoke wheels. 3 weeks later, the RT was gone and replaced with the GSW and I never looked back. The day I pulled it into my driveway, my wife came outside and said - "now that bike, is badass." I WANT to ride it. I walk into the garage and think, F'n A, thats my bike bitches. The exhaust note gives me wood. It inspires me to get me gear on and go for a ride. I WANT to take long trips on it. I open the gas on that thing and it wants to loft the front wheel like some crazy german bitch.

Sounds like you need a bike that gives you wood and inspires you. If it doesn't - you have the wrong one. Plus - riding the GS "behemoth" 2 up off road is not something I would try, because it honestly it would be a pain in the ass - I do know that some guys here do it, but for me, its just too damn big IMHO. If thats what you are trying to accomplish (2 up on dirt roads) then perhaps you have the wrong bike for you. Maybe a KTM 990 would be better - or the new 1190, which is a hooligan and possibly a better off road machine.

steelerider screwed with this post 03-30-2014 at 03:35 PM
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #35
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Because it's not quite what I'm looking for right now. I want an activity me and the missus can share together. I already have to take enough time away from home with my work, I want something we can enjoy together. That's one thing I know is important right now.
sounds like "life" is getting in the way of your riding atm, and life is not suitable to your idea of what riding is. it also sounds like your wife / gf / female partner enjoys riding with you. have you asked her how she feels about it?

also sounds like you are active, and riding is / was sort of a passionate hobby for you of sorts, or a sporting activity of some kind. for instance i could never equate riding a jet ski with riding a motorcycle. but different strokes, as they say...

lastly it sounds as if you haven't given thought to a touring bike for your interstate trips and don't like riding in traffic. so what is left?

i say make some changes if you must as it sounds as if you've lost complete interest, and people and places and things in your life are dictating when and how and where you ride. so, do something new, i say

but keep a bike. a smaller one, a scooter, anything. just have one. chances are when you "get the itch" sometimes you'll be glad you did =]
Old 03-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #36
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 827
I rode a jetski for a day. I figured out I could do one thing on it: go fast on the water. After that, I was bored.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #37
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Thanks for all the replies folks. Instead of making a big quote train I'll try to remember what all I just read and address it.

Mrs. Zeid is super cool. She's down for anything fun and supports what I do completely. As long as we're getting out doing something fun, or sipping coffee at (not Starbucks, yuck) she's happy. That's why having something we both enjoy doing together and having fun with is important. She does however love riding on motorcycles with me.

I guess the deal with the Jet Ski is you have to love being on the water? I've never been on it much, so when I'm on it or around it I get all excited and happy. When I was younger and lived in California I use to surf on long boards. I loved being out on the water and paddling out past the "breaks" just to float around and enjoy the sunset. Maybe I just need a Kayak?

Multistrada's are cool beans, but it's just another cup of tea I've already been sipping and am not sure is right for me.

And yeah, it's like, this was always a dream bike for me. Maybe that's why I always say "I love the bike, it's amazing" because it is, but just, not for me? Maybe it just wasn't what I thought it would be. It's still terrific and yes, it is fun to ride no doubt. I went and sat on the new Triumph Thunderbird-LT (touring model) today and thought "Oh hot damn, this is comfy and looks beautiful." I know cruisers tend to have a low center of gravity and do well at slow speeds. It would be much easier to get on and off of, fun to take out of the traffic areas (out the old highways) and don't have to stress about two up off road. I dunno, just a thought?

I did go out and ride today and it was indeed nice, I just feel like something is missing.

And yeah, I definitely need some different riding gear. I'll have to start doing some research.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:39 AM   #38
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,712
Quote:
Hell no.

Next question.

Why don't you use your brain and make a decision instead of whining about everyone's suggestion?

You either want to ride or you don't. It's both an "all or none" thing and not an "all or none" thing. It is essentially "all or none" when it comes to owning a bike to ride and not "all or none" when it comes to riding when you have a motorcycle. You don't have to ride every stinking minute.

I used to commute to work some years back when at a different job, I rode a lot. Now I don't. I ride for errands, I ride for fun. I don't commute and I don't ride a bunch of miles. I kept my bike when I had kids, because I knew they wouldn't be there forever. My wife has gone to Broadway and I to Bikeweek - still married. My wife doesn't ride with me, hasn't for about 15 years - still married. We aren't joined at the hip. It isn't "all or none".

I have a 650 dual sport and a 250 dual sport, because I like the 650 as a road bike and I like the idea of a 250 for dinking around town and actually riding off road. I have the bikes I want, not much money in them either, especially considering the length of time I've owned the 650.

I will still have a bike when I only ride a thousand miles a year or whatever, maybe a scooter, who knows - I like the feel of 2 wheels.

Think - decide.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550

markk53 screwed with this post 03-31-2014 at 06:50 AM
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #39
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Why don't you use your brain and make a decision instead of whining about everyone's suggestion?
How am I whining about anyone's suggestion? I'm discussing the different options and what might be best for my line of thinking. Isn't that what forums are for? I don't see why you took the "Hell no" comment so seriously, I'm not a big fan of the multistrada and am partial to BMW's which is why I said it in good fun, I guess I should have put a "lol" after it or something, didn't figure anyone would take it so seriously.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:26 AM   #40
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 598
I suspect there are plenty of places to go in Arizona that don't require riding on dirt.

I suspect there are lots of BMW GS bikes that never see dirt.

You don't have to tell anybody you don't ride on dirt 2 up if you don't want to.

Previous- XT350, CB900F, XL185S, GS425E
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:19 PM   #41
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,818
Hack your 2013 BMW R1200 GSA Adventure Triple Black.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:18 PM   #42
N.Penley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Buy a boat

I am not the kind to tell someone what to do with their money but I do not recomend a PWC. Buy a boat so you can at the very least go out to dinner and stay dry without rushing through your meal trying to get back to the dock before dark. A PWC is a secondary watercraft and should not be your only mode of transportation on the water. A boat can haul your friends, family, pets, food, and more. you can stay out past sunset and the season is about three weeks longer at the beginning and end of summer here due to the water temp.

If you dont love youe bike so much that you find yourself telling complete stranders all about it; It is time to put something else between your legs. That is the single thing a bike has over a wife. They can be easily swapped out for another anytime just because your tired of the same old grind.
N.Penley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:38 PM   #43
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Penley View Post
I am not the kind to tell someone what to do with their money but I do not recomend a PWC. Buy a boat so you can at the very least go out to dinner and stay dry without rushing through your meal trying to get back to the dock before dark. A PWC is a secondary watercraft and should not be your only mode of transportation on the water. A boat can haul your friends, family, pets, food, and more. you can stay out past sunset and the season is about three weeks longer at the beginning and end of summer here due to the water temp.

If you dont love youe bike so much that you find yourself telling complete stranders all about it; It is time to put something else between your legs. That is the single thing a bike has over a wife. They can be easily swapped out for another anytime just because your tired of the same old grind.
I'd like a boat too. 'Maybe a small power-sailer that sleeps 2 and can pull a skier. Then if I don't have money for gas some weekends, I can still hoist sail and get out on the water to fish, sail, snorkel, etc.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:24 PM   #44
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
Zeid, I hear ya loud and clear. I gave up on road bikes long ago. Too many rules, too many limitations, too little skills required, too often feeling like herded cattle.

Wheelieing is discouraged, as are brodies and even simple rapid acceleration. It takes the "riding" out of riding. I was always telling myself to behave when road riding.

Then there's the traffic. Good God. The risk/reward ratio just wasn't there for me.

If letting it sit in the garage until you and the little lady feel like picking one of the many nice destination rides out of Phoenix just doesn't do it for you any more, Then sell the darn thing, get a 3-4 yr old plated 450 (250 lbs, 54hp) for yourself , and a dime a dozen Jeep for the two of you.

Rent the jet skis . A day exploring Sahuaro Lk could be fun as hell, then maybe Lk Powell, but overall, they require so little skill , so little rider input, you'll rarely get motivated enough to hitch up the trailer and tow them to the water. Guaranteed.

In three years if you get the urge to road ride again, buy another one and go.

I have a buddy who feels the opposite of you. He keeps thinking he should sell his '04 Gs1150 or whatever it is. So he'll go for a ride and it just fills him with joy. He parks it walks away thinking a resounding "No way am I selling that thing".
T.Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:42 PM   #45
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the replies folks.

Yeah, when people ask me about it I usually reply with "It's an awesome bike." but when they ask "is it comfortable, do you love it?" I usually have to think for a second or two. I usually give the disclaimer "It's not bad, but it won't solve all your problems." I do like the bike, but it doesn't feel like the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

Not long ago I test rode a Ural, when getting off I was laughing and saying "OH MY GOD YES." A similar emotion filled me when I recently test road the new Yamaha FZ-09. But then I begin to think, "will that feeling soon wear off and then I'll regret selling something as awesome as my Behemoth?"

Not to mention, I've tried selling it in recent times and have had really bad luck, I always do selling anything (even if I put something at a incredible price) I just have to hassle with so many tire kickers, back and forth messages, "can I ride it?" from people not so serious. If I sell it I can maybe break even, but if I trade it in I'll be at least a few thousand dollars upside down.

I know people keep saying to get a light weight off road bike, it just doesn't appeal to me a super-whole-lot. I would definitely not ride from where I am out to the trails on something like that, it would take the joy out of it so I'd need a trailer and I'd need to get my lil' lady one and teach her how to ride it. Just seems like a lot of effort "right now" where I just want something turn-key fun and go.