User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2014, 04:05 PM   #46
Existence_Inc
The Wanderer

Oddometer: 175
It seems to me that the solution is simple:

Keep the GSA because you like it. Keep to well manicured dirt roads and paved roads when riding 2-up. When you're going to ride off-road, go solo. That is what I am planning to do. If the Mrs. wants to go off-road with you, get her enrolled in the MSF and get licensed and get her a DR/KLR/KTM/G650GS/whatever (when you can afford it, like after your promotion) and ride off-road together. You keep your bike, she gets to ride with you on and off road. And if she decides she doesn't like driving a MC after the MSF class, you're not out the money for an extra bike and she will have her a MC license and training, she will be able to pilot your bike in the event you are not able to (grim, but possible). Everyone is Happy!

~Ex
2014 BMW R1200GS
Existence_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:15 PM   #47
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
OP, riding 2 up takes most of the fun out of riding a motorcycle, riding two up on dirt takes 110% of the fun out of it, and replaces it with worrying about hurting someone else. IMHO. My wife hates to ride 2 up with me....and that is fine by me. Riding is MY time. It's my respite from the cares of the world. All my supposed problems with work, wife, kids all vanish as soon as I thumb the button and raise the side stand. That's why I ride.

And as other members have mentioned, a 1200GS is NOT a dirt bike. Even a bone stock KLR would feel like a light weight enduro weapon by comparison (one up), and a real enduro...well there really is no comparison.

But if you want turnkey fun, get a used Jeep or something. There are loads of places to go near Phoenix (I work in Mesa off and on) and if you head up to the mountains around Flag or Christopher Creek there are many more options. A Saturday spent doing some slow speed technical wheelin' can be almost as much fun a riding.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "

FloorPoor screwed with this post 03-31-2014 at 04:26 PM Reason: last paragraph
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:29 PM   #48
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
If anyone has any suggestions or could share some light on the matter, maybe you've dealt with similar? I'm all for hearing it.
start racing.

I feel like ive lived more in 10 minutes of racing than an entire month of normal life
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:52 PM   #49
spdtrpl
Red Coat MagnoliaTx

Oddometer: 138
I also got bored with my GS1200 and bought a CBR1000R, realized that if I continued riding it on the road I'd either get locked up or die. So sold that and bought a KTM 950 Adventure, great bike but again I got bored and bought a Ducati S4RS, which I love.
I ride motocross to get my kicks in winter and stand up jetskis in summer.

I agree, 20 minutes on a sitdown jet ski and I'm bored (again) so what you need is a standup jetski - lean it like a bike, big learning curve, huge fun, fall off and you don't get hurt (much). Try one you'll love it!

spdtrpl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:01 PM   #50
Other Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Mr. Zeid,

I suggest a pontoon boat, or an R80G/S with some nice patina.

To decide which I suggest checking with some area marinas to see if they offer a pontoon in their rental fleet. That's a 'turn key' solution if there ever was one. Storage, insurance, maintenance, depreciation and just plain old "worrying about it" can make boat ownership a PITA. Try renting first and if you and Mrs. Zeid like it, KEEP renting for a year. If you REALLY like it the decision is made: keep your hottie triple black GSAdv and enjoy the a boat with your hottie-in-a-bikini Mrs. Zeid! Pontoons are great for entertaining friends, getting away from civilization, and fueling a little romance (even if the speedboat crowd makes fun of them!). Skip the PWC's, they're for kids - unless maybe the promotion enables buying lakefront property.

Pontoon no fun? Try a UNRESTORED R80G/S - something not ready to be a parts donor, but not something you will worry about dropping and getting scratched up. Get it mechanically sound and sorted, but do not undertake any ANY cosmetic work in the first year no matter how bad you want to. Mind now, getting one well sorted can take the equivalent of a new bike payment every month for several months, and that isn't a 'turn key toy' process. It is often better to pay some more up front than buy a beater but you should still budget for some work in the first month ownership to cover unexpected or undisclosed bugs.

The upsides? You will be sticking with your BMW interests. The original G/S concept was a light'ish (compared to your Adv) and quite capable off road machine. It has a MUCH lower saddle height than your Adv! It will take the pressure off the "crash potential" of your nice Adv, which is now reserved for two-up road work. Let Mr. Zeid try it, it will be low/small enough to fit her without intimidation. If it brings back that lovin' feelin' THEN do some cosmetic work to make yourself happy. If it doesn't work out you will not lose any money as G/S's are easily resold.

I think Mrs. Zeid will lay claim to it! You can still rent the pontoon when you get frisky :)

Good luck,

Bob
Other Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:05 PM   #51
Other Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
^ Nice picture .. I retract my comment about jet skis being for kids!
Other Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:11 PM   #52
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Thanks for the replies folks, I've read them all and am using actual brain power thinking about what each one says.

I keep going into my dealer, they have one of these:

It is so dang tempting. It's so smooth, so pretty, so glassy, so futuristic and it floats on the water. You can get the wind in your hair feeling without being a lunatic for not wearing a helmet, it'll go 83mph bone stock and top 95mph with a tune-up kit, you can explore a completely new type of terrain (never been on a boat much) and I love being around the water. What is wrong with me? Some one kill me before I do something stupid...
Old 03-31-2014, 09:51 PM   #53
Existence_Inc
The Wanderer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Some one kill me before I do something stupid...
Do it!!!

~Ex
2014 BMW R1200GS
Existence_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:00 PM   #54
aterry1067
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Holy cow, that's a pricey model! I think I would rent one a few times before I pulled the trigger, to make sure it's what made me happy.

How about kite boarding? Wind surfing? Paddle boarding?

I know what you mean though. As for riding, I ride what makes me happy, and I ride with the gear that makes me comfortable.
aterry1067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:02 PM   #55
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 440
Don't do it. That is just like a GSA...........Do this:

Like a high performance dirt bike. Better power to weight ratio and at $5,600(Just picked up two myself)

http://rideapart.com/2013/09/2014-sea-doo-spark-review/
Old 03-31-2014, 10:23 PM   #56
Riplinstill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Being on the water is a joy that can not be matched with a motorcycle, in a way it is WAY better. I would not recommend spending more then 6,000 on a jet ski though, that would be crazy, unless your rich. I grew up going to the lake every week a couple times, and it was the best times I have ever had. When it is hot, and your out there swimming, thrashing, eating your packed food, playing around with your girlfriend, etc it is so much fun.

Maybe daulsporting is no fun because you drive a monster truck of a motorcycle. If you are interested in getting something else with two wheels that is versatile and 2up capable, I suggest checking out the Husqvarna TR650 Terra.
Riplinstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:18 PM   #57
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Thanks for the replies folks, I've read them all and am using actual brain power thinking about what each one says.
... it'll go 83mph bone stock and top 95mph with a tune-up kit, you can explore a completely new type of terrain (never been on a boat much) and I love being around the water. What is wrong with me? Some one kill me before I do something stupid...
So it'll go how much slower than your bike? I'm not sure if you've studied up on this, but it only goes on one type of terrain. And that terrain is pretty flat. I suppose you can hang around other's boats so you can play on their wakes, kinda like the way flies hang around a cow looking for something to do ('cause other boats will see you that way). Aside from being flat, that terrain is also kinda wide open. No curves, no hills, just a wide open area where you can make whatever turns you want to, but without a boundary, such as the road, to make it a challenge, it loses something. Well, not just something, it loses a lot.

Go rent some PWC's a few times. Then get back to us.

MV
Old 03-31-2014, 11:36 PM   #58
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riplinstill View Post
Being on the water is a joy that can not be matched with a motorcycle, in a way it is WAY better. I would not recommend spending more then 6,000 on a jet ski though, that would be crazy, unless your rich. I grew up going to the lake every week a couple times, and it was the best times I have ever had. When it is hot, and your out there swimming, thrashing, eating your packed food, playing around with your girlfriend, etc it is so much fun.

Maybe daulsporting is no fun because you drive a monster truck of a motorcycle. If you are interested in getting something else with two wheels that is versatile and 2up capable, I suggest checking out the Husqvarna TR650 Terra.
That's another thing I hate about the GSA. It's an amazing bike but it's so spendy that going off road on it terrifies you. I grew up on cheap dirt bikes that we would PURPOSELY try to drop just to see how far we could push the limits. At the same time, I don't like buying used things that require a lot of work. That Husqvarna TR650 Terra you mentioned looks really interesting, but didn't they stop making Husqvarna? I can't find information on it, prices or any dealers in the US, maybe I'm not looking hard enough. As a single cylinder thumper though, I imagine it would have the same problems two up as a KLR650 (I.E., it would suck two up) but looks fun one up. Could always get the lady a cheap dual-sport to go along with it, teach her how to ride off road then graduate to the street. It's definitely a thought. I bet I could purchase both for under 10 grand.

About the Jet Ski's, yeah, the RXP 260-X sounds amazing. 0-60 in less than 5 seconds? That's faster than most sport cars and a lot of decent motorcycles. It has a top speed of 83 supposedly but a kit can add about 10mph onto that. From what I've heard, it's a major adrenaline rush going that fast on water.

Again, I've spent so much time on the street that the street is becoming boring to me. The GSA feels like a land rover. Very nice, something good to have if you have plenty of money, but not really that exciting and a LOT of money. Again, the Urals are a blast to ride for me, I'm just worried that if I bought one #1 it would break down on the way home #2 I would wake up one day and realize I spent 16k dollars on a new not-motorcycle that breaks down as much as an old used car. Other than that, I love how they look and riding them makes me want to actually go places on the street. When I'm on the GSA it feels more like I'm just... Going down the street, commuting. It feels kind of pointless? The FZ-09 was a BLAST to ride, but supposedly has some bugs to work out (crappy suspension and poor fuel mapping) and is a bit of a small bike.

I guess I have a bad taste for off road riding right now because of the GSA. I feel like a motorcycle is not meant for off road, at least on my GSA it feels like at any second it's just going to lose complete traction and you can't really turn well, it's about finding a line then trying to keep it without falling down, that's why I looked at and considered UTV's till really understanding that they cost more than a new airplane.

A lot of guys will spent a few hundred dollars a month on a hobby. Skydiving, Golfing, traveling around, goodness knows what. I allocate myself a couple to few hundred a month to "enjoy life" so that's why I would buy the RXP-X and not the new "Spark". If I made the plunge into Jet-Skidom I'd go for the RXP.

I agree, I always find myself wanting to go out to lakes for some odd reason just to walk around and hang out. I love the water, whether it's the ocean, a lake, a river, especially on hot days. I dunno, maybe I'd get bored? Plenty of people seem to have a lot of fun on them exploring different lakes. I live in a huge city that is a gigantic grid, going down the street you just see the same old mall after mall after supercenter after tanger-outlet after movie theater and it just gets boring. I feel like I'm commuting and I'm suppose to hurry up and go back home.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:24 AM   #59
AFVET84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
The problem is your bike. Its a sweeeet bike that might do it all but the consequences of dropping a bike that pretty is to much. I had a similar issue, i wanted a harley for a long time and eventually broke down and bought a brand new street glide(2006). I loved the bike (still do) but it was not fulfilling my needs when it came to riding. I couldnt bear the thought of a single scratch on that bike. I decided to go back to my roots and get a DS. I sold the harley and got a ktm 690. Wow, fun. Then the wife started going on rides w me. We had a blast but our asses hurt! (Ktm thing). We then traded for a 990 (4 years old ) with some scratches and dirt on it and havent looked back! We ride forest service roads and old loggin roads two up all the time. I dont give a shit if i get a scratch on the ktm. I dump it pick it up and repeat. Solo its insane 85 plus on forest service roads all day... My advice,, take a key to your gsa, tip it over on both sides, throw some mud on it. Its depriciateing in value any way so teach your old lady how to bail out on a tip over so she dont get hurt . Beat the shit out of it or sell it and beat the shit out of a cheaper machine. I dont like the thumpers for two up, drink the kool aid and get a used 990 plenty of them out there andd there ugly anyway.
AFVET84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:53 AM   #60
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
I got bored with riding 17 years ago so I bought one of these and so far have over 1400 hours of flight time. Good fun, safe, inexpensive to fly. I still ride street and dirt but this adds a third dimension.

hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote