Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #61
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
How am I whining about anyone's suggestion? I'm discussing the different options and what might be best for my line of thinking. Isn't that what forums are for? I don't see why you took the "Hell no" comment so seriously, I'm not a big fan of the multistrada and am partial to BMW's which is why I said it in good fun, I guess I should have put a "lol" after it or something, didn't figure anyone would take it so seriously.

I didn't really take it seriously, the whole thread is hard to take seriously.

Sorry if I hurt feelings, most of what I read from the posts were more excuses to not do something - just looks like indecisiveness. Besides, who can evaluate your situation better than you?

I just made the decision to sell off my street bike because I actually ride my dual sport 650 faster and enjoy it more for the street riding I do and it can do back roads. But then I rode a 250 dual sport and realized it would fill the dual sport/off road bill much better than the 650. I didn't need anyone to advise me. A big single for the road and dirt/gravel play at times and a small light 250 dual sport for the dirt/gravel back roads and actual off roading along with some around town stuff. It suits what will work in my life at this point. In another five years, who knows... it may be a scooter! Then I'll research scooters, not ask if I should go to a scooter.

Never asked anyone what I should buy. I pretty much was well read and knew the bikes along with what I could spend. If I asked what bike to buy here I'd have a good idea of what everyone here owned or would own, not what I wanted. If I asked opinions on what I wanted I could learn something, like the comparisons of the CRF250/WR250/KLX250. I'd find how the heavier bike worked for someone, how the higher powered bike would be to keep in the power, etc.

I do ask for comments on specific bikes of interest or parts/accessories I'm considering, but I go in knowing what I want in general. I'm looking for experience and information about bikes I may want.

Ii guess I'm saying I don't need to know what someone else thinks I should have. They honestly don't have a clue, since I am not a raw beginner and only I know my situation. As you see, the opinions are far too varied anyway. I know what I have, can afford, and have interest in having. I would think you should have similar ideas.

For a valid discussion instead of dismissing suggestions, set some parameters and details. For example:
  • You can sell the BMW - if not, then the discussion is pretty much moot.
  • You like the idea of a smaller light weight for personal use and may get a Miata or a Jeep to go cruise with the girlfriend, now you want opinions on the current crop of singles.
  • you want an adventure bike that can do some two up relatively comfortably, but not owe a buttload of money on it - aka sell off the BMW and get a KLR or V-Strom - whatever.
These can have a reasonable discussion. Not the "I don't wanna lose money selling the BMW." or "No I don't like that." Give something to go on.

If you're just looking for justification for keeping your BMW, here it is... If you bought a boat for the same money you would likely use it far less often than the BMW. Keep the BMW and ride whenever you can, knowing sometimes you may ride a lot sometimes not. You don't really lose money unless you sell it. Then you have no bike and less money than you spent. So keep the bike. There - justified!

Good luck.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:34 AM   #62
Vagabond25
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Flat track!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
start racing.

I feel like ive lived more in 10 minutes of racing than an entire month of normal life
The come-as-you-are, rung-what-ya-brung free spirit of the flat track culture is like no other, in my experience. DOOOOO IT.

'08 R12GS/Hack
Vagabond25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #63
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Oh Man! You definitely have the "existential angst". Your chick is the real problem.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #64
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Sorry that I'm more vague about the matter but I'm trying to get other people's opinions. I don't know quite how to explain it.

Yes, I guess I want to sell my BMW if possible. I would just like to break even on it and get out from under it.

I guess I'm looking for something easier to ride two up, something a bit cheaper, something comfortable for the both of us. The FZ09 fits the bill quite well, I'm just a bit hesitant about it because it has some bugs (fuel mapping and suspension). I honestly don't care if it's off road capable (while I do enjoy off roading) because as many here know anything with two (or three) wheels and a motor can be an adventure bike. If I got something like the FZ09 I'd definitely get some soft cases for it and explore my state and at least some surrounding states on it. One thing I really liked about it is the fact that it's actually comfortable, that's why I steer away from sport bikes, but some "naked" bikes are actually quite comfy, I guess I'm interested in something along those lines that isn't too expensive. I am also questioning and pondering on the Ural and even something as odd-ball as a Jet-Ski.

I've looked into those powered parachutes before. Something about them weirds me out (not that they aren't really cool mind you). I use to enjoy flying airplanes but that hobby is so stupidly expensive anymore that it's not even worth considering.

I have also considered getting a enduro bike then getting Mrs. Zeid a 125 dirt bike or some such to start off on, a setup I could get for 10 grand or less, but I'd need a trailer.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #65
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Oh Man! You definitely have the "existential angst". Your chick is the real problem.
Not at all, she's one of the few things in my life that is not a problem. I want whatever it is, to be something we both have fun with. That brings me more joy than going out and riding solo.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #66
txbear55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
I know where you are coming from.... I'm currently in a funk over my situation, too. I think the problem lies in that no bike does it all, and you become dissatisfied with your ride as your interests change (i.e. street only vs dual sport vs all dirt). Nice to own multiple bikes if you can, but a big problem (for me) being limited to one bike.

I guess that's why I tend to change bikes every 2-3 yrs. There is also the consideration that part of our "identity" is that we are motorcyclists...and if we sell our bike, then who are we?

I always have some sellers remorse after I let a bike go. I guess I've been lucky not to have a crappy bike! Then, again, there was that 360 Yamaha Enduro that would be hell to start, often kicking the shit out of you (can you say bent metal boot arches!)

So, good luck in your quest! Change toys as you see fit and enjoy the journey with your lady!
txbear55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #67
Vagabond25
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbear55 View Post
There is also the consideration that part of our "identity" is that we are motorcyclists...and if we sell our bike, then who are we?
This I can relate to. My RT was destroyed by a tornado a few years back and I'm just now getting around to replacing it for this season. (Army training schedule and a deployment got in the way.) I'm very much looking forward to getting back in my groove!
'08 R12GS/Hack
Vagabond25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #68
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,319
I would be stoked if I could get my missus interested in riding. The two of us on dirtbikes up in the mountains would be awesome.

I've never been very excited about 2up riding. Even on the road. It's fun around town, having a pair of boobs pressed against your back, and I've had many a fantastic date that started with a ride on the bike. But honestly, on a real trip, I'd rather be on the bike by myself, and have intercom connections between us.

My family has a place on the Chesapeak Bay. We had 2 jetskis. Sit down type on lifts so they could be in the water in a second.

Man I hated those things. You are confined to a limited area, they get shitty fuel economy so you don't have much range, you don't want to get too far away from shore if they conk out or run out of gas. I hated working on them (I am the family mechanic) Hated working in the confined engine bay under the seat. They get run only a few times a year so we were always replacing batteries. Ours lived summers on the lift, under covers, but still quickly got weather beaten. The grips turned to good, the plastics got sticky etc.

Best time I had on one was out in the bay during a noreaster. Big waves, raining, muddy water, everything all churned up. We've got a protected cove with a small bay and another protected cove. I would just run back and forth between protected coves, jumping smashing splashing.

I always preferred our little 16' dinghy to the jet skis. I could put a cooler of beer and lunch in the boat. The boat could more easily go into shallower spaces than the ski. It was better to relax in, read a book, fish from, explore the beaches and creeks. Had a spare fuel tank.

Sometimes you can't learn from other people's advice though. Buy the jetski, just don't sell your bike.

Oh and buy a KLR, kick it over in your driveway a few times, then never worry about dumping it offroad again.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #69
Zeid OP
Adventurer

It's definitely true. Motorcycling becomes part of who you are. That's a big worry about getting a Jet-Ski or even a Ural, not sure if buying a Ural would take the "motorcycling" out of motorcycling...

I kind of ruled the FZ09 out at this point, it seems it is not a good choice for two up, however, I heard the new Triumph Trophy is actually incredible for two up and very stable with two people. Does anyone have any experience or have heard anything about that bike two up? I imagine it's similar to the RT which I also hear is a fantastic two up bike and the new one looks quite amazing...
Old 04-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #70
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Hack your 2013 BMW R1200 GSA Adventure Triple Black.
Yep, I agree. My wife really enjoys the sidecar experience and you can handle dirt/gravel situations with confidence.

Wider track and no reverse or multiple drive wheels unless you go with Ural or hyper expensive MoBec, but even a standard hack will solve almost all of your concerns.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #71
Zeid OP
Adventurer

I went out and washed Behemoth. Got it nice and sparkly as I do once every couple of weeks. I always have trouble getting it as clean as I want it to be (I always want to get it to exact-showroom condition).

I looked at it and did some evaluating... I love how the bike looks, it looks so damn good. I do find myself staring at it like this I just absolutely love how it looks. When I'm solo it rides great, but mainly because I can put it on the "one up" suspension setting. If only that setting worked for two people. I noticed the other day, oddly, that taking the top box off and leaving the side cases on with Mrs. Zeid on the back added a lot of stability, never knew a top case made such a difference. Once the bike is underway it feels fine with both of us on it, although I always feel two up like it wants to topple over, it's so high up there.

Still undecided...

I like that new Triumph Thunderbird LT as well (I know, a few choices up my sleeve right now) but it seems very heavy. A lower center of gravity, but that might not matter if it's so heavy two up. I don't know, don't really have experience with those kinds of bikes.

If I got a sidecar for the GS, wouldn't I need to modify it in a way that it would not be possible to ride without the sidecar anymore? I know they put strange tires and fork setups on them. How much would a hack for it run me anyhow?
Old 04-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #72
Road Hound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Let's see, you want to ride dirt 2 up, you buy a motorcycle that weighs 600 lbs, cost $24,000, and you can never get it clean enough. I can see your problem. My last 3 street bikes cost me all total considerably less than 1/2 of that and I've put over 600,000 miles on them.

Quit worrying about image and get you something you can enjoy. Riding in the dirt is absolutely NO fun if you are worried about your bike getting dirty, scratched, or collects a few dents. That's the way dirt riding is, you are going to fall, you are going to drop the bike. If you are not able to accept that you are never going to enjoy off road.

If you really want to ride get yourself a decent street bike for you and the misses to ride 2 up on and a couple of mid size dual sports for the dirt. Don't get hung up on the appearance of the D/S bikes they are going to get dirty, scratched, and dented . Learn to take them out and enjoy doing what they were built for.
Road Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:35 PM   #73
Tanshanomi
Your Favorite Uncle

Oddometer: 607
Take some time off. I took 12 years off.

I started riding in 1980. Lived, breathed, rode and studied bikes 24/7. Put myself through college behind a parts counter. Eventually had 11 bikes in my garage. Then I got married. The same thing you describe happened to me. I sold my last bike in 1997. We bought a couple of PWCs and spent the next decade getting away to the lake. I didn't own a motorcycle again until my wife expressed an interest in learning to ride in early 2009. Went through the Rider's Edge class at the local Harley dealer, bought a couple of Japanese midsize cruisers.

By the way, last year, I started feeling something a bit similar again. Just a twinge of "been here, done this" when I was out riding. A feeling of "this isn't as fun as it used to be." So I bought this, for something different...and I've ridden more miles in the past 12 months than I have since I was in my 20s.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #74
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Yeah, I've kind of decided if I keep it I'm going to focus a lot less on dirt and a lot more on interesting and fun roads. I honestly think hitting a well grated dirt road is just fine two up, as long as you don't hit any sandy or rocky bits. I find it difficult to find these. For example, around Phoenix I know the Front-Way into Crown King is perfectly fine two up and the Florence-Kelvin highway is perfectly fine two up, but I tried the Alamo Lake road out past Wickeburg off of highway 93 and it had too many sandy spots.

But yeah, I want the "ability" to go on well groomed dirt roads but concentrate on touring. I agree, I care too much about the bike to have much fun off road with it and as long as I have it I need to just re-evaluate what I do with it. At some point a couple of cheap dirt bikes would be a lot of fun. I just can't afford it right now.

I have seen those Can-Am spyders, they are stupidly expensive. They look interesting but the fact that some one from Nascar endorses them makes me lose faith in the "motorcycle for people who are too lazy to ride a motorcycle" when in actuality I'm sure it is a blast and something completely different, kind of like a sidecar. How do you like the Can-Am? Can you tell me how your 10 years away from bikes and on PWC's went?

I'm pretty convinced now, I'd LOVE a PWC, no doubt, but should not get rid of such a huge part of me (I do love motorcycling) to get into it. I think I just need to get away from the commutes and rush hour and get more heavily into the interesting back roads. I know there must be some sort of Zen to this equation some how.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:07 PM   #75
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,980
We had a PWC for a few years. It was fun like the first and maybe second time out on the water, after that it collected dust. They're cool to rent like every 5 years on vacation for an hour. Then they blow.

Sell your $24,000 GS, and buy a V-strom and a Wr250r. That's what I'd do
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote