Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
sailorninja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
How long did it take YOU to start commuting?

I have already asked a few people, but I thought I'd ask a few more, how long did you wait before beginning to commute to work? I work about 25 minutes from my home, already learned the back road but I have not rode alone nor in the dark.
Also; I've taken/graduated msf, been riding here and there on the road.
Opinions?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

sailorninja screwed with this post 03-30-2014 at 05:50 PM
sailorninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
VTphoneman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Personally I commuted the day after I bought my first bike but I was 20 and stupid.

I'd say when you are comfortable. If its at a time and traffic flow you wouldn't even think twice to take a joy ride solo in, it's ok.
VTphoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 349
I got my license on a Monday and took my first ride to work that Friday. I was a bit nervous about riding in traffic so I took a few days to ride more on back roads before I took it to work.

Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.

bluestar screwed with this post 03-30-2014 at 07:05 PM
bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,776
About two years. One day, I just started taking the bike instead of the car. I think maybe it had something to do with the cute girl who'd started working there. Maybe. I'm not admitting to nothing.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #5
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,816
I just started commuting. I have been riding for 23 years but not to work. I was always concerned with the stupidity of Los Angeles traffic. 3 years ago I changed jobs and now ride away from LA with very little traffic. I just started commuting 3 weeks ago. Not everyday, about 2 days a week. I find myself staring at my bike in the parking lot day dreaming a lot now.

It really depends. I would say to get more time on the bike until you are really comfortable. Just take the bike for a short ride at night and go from there. Remember to increase your following distance and keep your eyes up (high visual horizon). Gradually ride longer at night and go for longer rides alone. Your confidence will go up pretty fast. Everyone has there own pace, no rush.

For me it was worrying about cars / traffic not my ability so much. I leave early so I am not in a hurry and enjoy the ride. If I am running late or really tired I drive the car.
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorninja View Post
I have already asked a few people, but I thought I'd ask a few more, how long did you wait before beginning to commute to work? I work about 25 minutes from my home, already learned the back road but I have not rode alone nor in the dark.
Also; I've taken/graduated msf, been riding here and there on the road.
Opinions?
It's a hard one to answer without really knowing the traffic and attitude of drivers where you live. However, no matter what they'll always be some feeling of being thrown in the deep end but that will disappear as you become more experienced, skilled, and accustomed to it.

I believe you can certainly shift the odds in your favor by the way you dress and ride. That'd be my recommendation. Learnt all you can from how other regular commuters about how they fell they make their trip more comfortable and safe.
JohnCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #7
JonU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
The say after I bought the bike
JonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #8
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,340
The day I got my license at 14.

Marc
Old 03-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
NoiZboy
New Member 12/12

Oddometer: 36
Laugh

I definitely think the main barometer is your comfort level, coupled with a clear-headed assessment of your skill level. The process of getting comfortable and confident as a rider requires both cumulative practice (for the former) and intentional effort (for the latter). The more you do both - work to improve your skills AND subsequently apply them - the more challenges/riding conditions you will be prepared to take on.

In the meantime, ride within your ever-advancing limits so that your mind can stay focused on riding, instead of debating itself about whether or not what you're doing is a good idea. If you focus on developing your skills and putting them into practice, you'll be surprised how far you can come in a few weeks or months.

When I started riding I frequently reminded myself that I was new at it, and that many accidents happen to new riders. The goal became to get better so as to be safer. Then, as that happened, the exact nature of what I was doing could advance along with my skills, rather than in excess of them.

Ride safe & enjoy!
NoiZboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #10
blackvans1234
Talking to myself...

Oddometer: 521
I would also consider what exactly you do for work.

If you work 12 hour overnight shifts in a high stress environment, it might not be a good idea to commute 50 minutes home while tired and stressed.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:35 PM   #11
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,177
Old 03-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #12
steve3b3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
When I bought my ST1300, it was to be a commuting and recreational bike.

I started the next (working) day.

Steve
steve3b3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #13
tlempke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I waited a week or two so I could get used to riding at night. I was working night shift when I got my bike and wanted to ride locally at night before going all the way to work.
tlempke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #14
andykeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I think my first commute to work was my first non-practice, around-the-block ride. Which would have been on day two of ownership. I can't say I recommend it, but it's what I did. I felt comfortable on my bike immediately, despite the fact that about every fourth shift, I had to reach down and twist the linkage back into place.
andykeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:44 PM   #15
bbonds_007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I got my motorcycle for commuting. I save a $1,000 a year on insurance alone over my car. Plus, while going through college, I still have access to the family car if needed.
bbonds_007 is offline   Reply With Quote