Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2014, 11:00 PM   #16
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,563
Uhh, when I got my first job I obviously had to commute.

Likely you meant to ask "how long did it take you to start commuting on your bike?"

If that's the question, I took my skills test on a Saturday and rode to work on the following Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #17
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
After you are consistent in your management of the bike so you can focus on what other drivers are doing and not on your technique. You don't need to be Valentino Rossi to survive commuting but the heavier or faster traffic is moving, the more you need to be able to execute tasks such as shifting and braking without fumbling them.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:43 PM   #18
Stato
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Got my motorcycle licence(road rules knowledge test on a computer, no riding experience needed) Thursday.
Bought a bike around 1pm Friday
Rode it 200km(125 miles) home that day(first time i'd ridden since i was 11yo, 20 years earlier)
Started commuting to work at 7pm the same night.

Ride to work(16km/10mi) almost every night since.

Stato screwed with this post 03-30-2014 at 11:49 PM
Stato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:10 AM   #19
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,026
As my 1979 Scirocco got stolen the following weekend: less than a week....

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:58 AM   #20
millican
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I bought a bike to commute.
I had been riding my bicycle 22 miles round trip to class and then work (2nd shift). I had a full-size 1984 Dodge pickup, but I felt like a total wimp if I needed something that large just to haul my 165lb butt across town. I traded the truck outright for a 1969 CL350 and never regretted it.
I got on the highway to ride the bike home and didn't even understand how to shift. It's hard to believe I never wrecked on it.
millican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:34 AM   #21
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,702
about 300 miles of initial riding. parking lots, neighborhood, a run or two in traffic and what not. a couple of longer rides at night. then i went 24 miles and bought my own scooter (i had been offered to help break in the one i was riding) and rode it back home. 48 miles round trip, that was a LONG ride. not!! but for then, yeah

traffic never freaked me out, i got used to it quickly on my scooters. as a driver although never focused on motorcycles in particular, i would note sometimes how they got down the road and out of sight quickly. in lane splitting SoCal its just what you see from the windows of your car. bikes owning the road, because they can. with due caution and safety, of course

of course!

so when i decided to start riding, where i would be riding sort of chose my commuter status for me. i mean we have local canyons and coastline and what not, but i don't ride for those things. never even occurs to me. don't have the time or interest tbh. although i do like a good curvy road and wide open spaces to ride through, my daily life dictates me a commuter. like many others in my area. but i am on a bike

which makes commuting a pretty good thing on a sport bike. good brakes, agile, fast when it needs to be, comfortable, lightweight, lane splits very well, good at slower speeds. many bikes fit the bill of a good commuter bike, however. its up to the rider to make what they want of their own commute according to their own riding style.

i like my bike, yeah. but i think an NC700X is still in my future. put it next to the FZ6, the Camry and the Porsche. it could be worse. much worse

it could actually be a Camry and a Porsche. luckily, its not
Old 03-31-2014, 03:46 AM   #22
sailorninja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Well, I woke up knowing I wanted to just go for it since im very aware of my area and the routine traffic flow within my area. So I did. It was a cold ride, a little nerve racking since I was alone and in the dark for the first time, but I wasn't nervous. I was attentive and knew where I was going. Put a smile on my face to start the day. A car did pass me in a no passing zone, although I was doing the speed limit. I guess when you're in a huge suburban its hard to ride behind a little ninja for long, either that or they really "needed" to go 60+ in a 45. :

Exciting!
The comments on my rosey cheeks throughout this morning are quite funny. It's supposed to be really warm when I leave so hopefully the weather channel is right this time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
sailorninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:49 AM   #23
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 2,149
Good for you. Pin it to win it!
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:11 AM   #24
RobbieO
Banned

Oddometer: 8,161
Why were your cheeks rosy?
Are you wearing a full face helmet?

Take the long way home!
RobbieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:45 AM   #25
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,611
My plan was to commute, so pretty much a few days after I got my bike. I took a few days to get comfy on it, then off to the races.

The stupid weather finally let up here, so I started up in MI last friday. I need heated gloves...
Old 03-31-2014, 06:01 AM   #26
wipfel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
I waited about 2 months, but it all depends on your commute and comfort level. I was also very cautious about riding on any morning when I felt tired or was in a hurry.

2010 Concours 14
wipfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:35 AM   #27
Ciph3r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
It's interesting to see how different other countries are :) In Germany you have to do a whole lot of training with a driving school. 12x 45min units are obligatory and you take more units to learn the bike and how to drive in traffic, at night, on the autobahn and prepare for hazardous situations and how to avoid them. Then you are allowed to take the test to get your licence, plus you have to take theoretical classes and do a test for that too.

Because of that thorough training, I felt comfortable to start commuting right away after I got my own bike. As others have said, start when you feel comfortable enough and think you can handle the traffic both at day and at night.
Ciph3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:40 AM   #28
sailorninja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieO View Post
Why were your cheeks rosy?
Are you wearing a full face helmet?

Take the long way home!
Yeah, I always wear a full face helmet, I cracked the shield in the beginning because I had closed the vents before i left and I guess the wind left them all rosey. Im pale so it lasts a while. I stopped at a gas station and stuck my (gloved) hands on my muffler momentarily to get them a little warmer, helped on the rest of my ride. But it was my first night ride, solo and under 40° ride (as the driver) which was exciting, bf didn't object, just told me to be safe and let him know as soon as I made it. :)

Old 03-31-2014, 06:45 AM   #29
sailorninja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciph3r View Post
It's interesting to see how different other countries are :) In Germany you have to do a whole lot of training with a driving school. 12x 45min units are obligatory and you take more units to learn the bike and how to drive in traffic, at night, on the autobahn and prepare for hazardous situations and how to avoid them. Then you are allowed to take the test to get your licence, plus you have to take theoretical classes and do a test for that too.

Because of that thorough training, I felt comfortable to start commuting right away after I got my own bike. As others have said, start when you feel comfortable enough and think you can handle the traffic both at day and at night.
Is Germany pretty? I've always wanted to go there. :)

Old 03-31-2014, 09:07 AM   #30
TorontoBrit
TorontoBrit

Oddometer: 321
Bicycle

I commuted to work for 5 years, even through the Winter, on my mountain bike in downtown Toronto traffic. When I got my first motorcycle here commuting on it was a breeze compared to the bike

I always treated my mountain bike as a vehicle: don't "share" a lane with me, don't run lights, don't pass on the right etc..... Once you get used to treating all vehicles on the road as a hazard switching to a motorcyle is easy....