Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2014, 09:10 AM   #31
D R
----

Oddometer: 483
I got back into riding motorcycles about eight years ago, after about a 15 year hiatus. Given the extremely heavy rush hour traffic flow where I live, I spent about 3 months re-honing my skills and gradually working my way into heavier traffic patterns. As someone else mentioned, it was a comfort level.

What works for one person, won't necessarily work for someone else.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:17 AM   #32
Ciph3r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorninja View Post
Is Germany pretty? I've always wanted to go there. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Definitely! We have some absolutely beautiful regions. If you like the see/oceans, the north has two of it plus Hamburg, a bigger city, but a really nice one (old harbour for example) and many other smaller cities worth a visit. In the mid and south, we have a lot of small beautiful cities with really old parts and nice roads. For example Heidelberg is a beautiful small city at a river, with hills around, an old castle, old city center, a big meadow at the river and beautiful paths around the city and the river :) (lived there for some years).

If you want twisties, we have the Harz, a woody/hilly/mountainous area with curves without ends or the Schwarzwald and Odenwald and of course the Alps in the south.

I would say get over here and have a look, you won't be disappointed :) and the distances are really short, compared the the US
Ciph3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:25 AM   #33
Tubaman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I had a mate ride out on his bike so I could commute in to work on my learner plates BEFORE I got my licence. Clocked up the miles and experience.
Tubaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:30 AM   #34
DeeG
Huh?

Oddometer: 466
Commuting was the reason I bought a bike in the first place.
2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa
2009 Suzuki DR200
DeeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:05 AM   #35
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,308
It was (and is) the main purpose I got the bike for.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:49 AM   #36
VTphoneman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciph3r View Post
Definitely! We have some absolutely beautiful regions. If you like the see/oceans, the north has two of it plus Hamburg, a bigger city, but a really nice one (old harbour for example) and many other smaller cities worth a visit. In the mid and south, we have a lot of small beautiful cities with really old parts and nice roads. For example Heidelberg is a beautiful small city at a river, with hills around, an old castle, old city center, a big meadow at the river and beautiful paths around the city and the river :) (lived there for some years).

If you want twisties, we have the Harz, a woody/hilly/mountainous area with curves without ends or the Schwarzwald and Odenwald and of course the Alps in the south.

I would say get over here and have a look, you won't be disappointed :) and the distances are really short, compared the the US
+1 from an American point of view. Spent a summer in the southern part mostly the Schwarzwald(Black Forest) and Bavaria. Just beautiful and so many other countries like Switzerland, Austria, and Belgium are a quick ride away.

"Don't get cruiser sloppy" Unknown Inmate
VTphoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:02 AM   #37
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
I've commuted year round as long as I've had a license. No snow or ice anymore but the cold never has bothered me much.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #38
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,701
I commute as close to year-round as weather and road conditions, though this past winter that meant I only got out on the bike a handful of times. (next year I'm studding up a set of knobbies and getting better cold-weather gear). I've been riding for about 10 years now, and commuting for that whole time, though not as regularly as I do now.

There have been a lot of hairy moments out on the road, especially during that pre-rush hour time where everyone's still going full speed but the road is packed, but it's still worth it to walk into work with a smile on my face and leave the same way.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:55 AM   #39
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
i started commuting on L plate on a 125cc bike on main road and sold my car after i passed my test and got a big bike . being doing it for yrs and save loads per years not running a car know as ride 90% of the year. ie i dont ride in ice and snow and will just take the bus.

my wife is commuting on a bike as it a nice and cheap way to get a round so the safest as the bike tops out at 65mph but she is going to get her test done soon then get a bigger bike
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:09 PM   #40
sailorninja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Well, I made it.
I commuted to work and back in one piece. It is totally worth it to walk into work and leave with a smile for the adventure about to happen. I was so stoked at work all day to have ridden there and be riding back home, and it being something I did alone made it all the better of an accomplishment. I will say that big suvs riding close behind made me a little nervous but I stayed at the speed limit and made sure I was very aware of my surroundings. I enjoyed the sunny ride home too. I was getting tired of all this rain/ice/snow stuff. I feel so refreshed and just energetic. Whereas I'm usually getting sleepy on my way home on my car.

Definitely a great day.

sailorninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:36 PM   #41
D R
----

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Well, I made it.
I commuted to work and back in one piece. It is totally worth it to walk into work and leave with a smile for the adventure about to happen. I was so stoked at work all day to have ridden there and be riding back home, and it being something I did alone made it all the better of an accomplishment. I will say that big suvs riding close behind made me a little nervous but I stayed at the speed limit and made sure I was very aware of my surroundings. I enjoyed the sunny ride home too. I was getting tired of all this rain/ice/snow stuff. I feel so refreshed and just energetic. Whereas I'm usually getting sleepy on my way home on my car.

Definitely a great day.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:41 PM   #42
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
The day I got my license at 14.

Marc

Heh, I did the same, except it was at 12. The day I got my license I was out delivering papers that afternoon.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:12 PM   #43
Ciph3r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Well, I made it.

Definitely a great day.

Grats :) It's just the best thing to leave work, hop on the bike and drive off :) Did it today and took a "slight" detour and will do it tomorrow, can't wait :)
Ciph3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:45 PM   #44
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
There have been a lot of hairy moments out on the road, especially during that pre-rush hour time where everyone's still going full speed but the road is packed, but it's still worth it to walk into work with a smile on my face and leave the same way.
yeah i hear you about the "pre rush hour" thing. if morning rush hour is what you mean. some people are in a hurry to get home from work, sure. or w/e they are doing. but i find its morning that brings out the worst in drivers. half asleep, distracted, got up late, etc. w/e it is it isn't good. some drivers are just all over the road, seeming to blindly charge ahead without regard for the safety of others. or even a little on road manners

of course just a little experience riding a bike would change that for them, and they would realize they are really saving no time at all as they will be slowed sooner then later. they seem ridiculous jockeying for every little inch of "forward" they can grab. speeding around a car to cut it off and get behind more....cars!

i always think "why not just get on the road a little earlier and take it easy?" but i guess not. for some their time, space, and life is just more important then others. important people, with places to go and things to do. and apparently, in a big hurry :/
Old 03-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #45
warrior1677
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
maybe the question should be how long did it take commuting to ruin the ride

"Ladies, if your man puts straight gas in a chainsaw, you have a girlfriend." gtn
warrior1677 is offline   Reply With Quote