Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2014, 06:30 PM   #46
sailorninja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior1677 View Post
maybe the question should be how long did it take commuting to ruin the ride
I (usually) don't have to deal with more than about 5-8 minutes (high estimate of real "traffic", taking the back roads from work prevent dealing with any real amount of cars and it's a beautiful ride. On the way to work there is between 0-1 other vehicles on that rode. When im in the car or on the motorcycle. It's not the "busy" part of town.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
sailorninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:56 PM   #47
Southmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorninja View Post
Well, I made it.
I commuted to work and back in one piece.............

Definitely a great day.
Congratulations!

I'd say do whatever you're comfortable with. I've been riding 45 years, now I commute 70 miles round trip, live east of Albuquerque, and work on the east side of town. Mostly all highway, some a Scenic byway (I'm lucky). If I had to ride across town in the nutso scene of Albaturkey freeways, I'd think twice about it.

(Hey, we're both at 83 on the oddometer!)
Southmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:28 AM   #48
rat110
Has a Zombie House

Oddometer: 500
I picked up my bike at 2pm and was commuting to work on it an hour later. Never ridden a bike before (except on my learners course - a few hours over 2 days). A quick 20 min run around town and I was off.

30 miles each way. The return trip was at 3am. Winning at jumping in the deep end

Ratwife wasn't impressed.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:56 AM   #49
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Just do it.

I can't understand the angst that people have with issues like this.

Motorcycles are transport. I got my m/c licence when I was 15 to be able to get around, including getting to work.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #50
sailorninja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post

Motorcycles are transport. I got my m/c licence when I was 15 to be able to get around, including getting to work.

Im new to riding all together and was curious how long and how people felt starting out with commuting. I get that it is transportation, I just wanted to see what other people said to help myself feel more comfortable about it. All good intentions.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
sailorninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #51
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 553
It was right away for me, but that was 1980, I was 20 years old and my commute was all back roads through Amish country. "Road apples" were a bigger threat than traffic. It really depends on your comfort level and the kind of environment you are commuting in. Even now I won't take the bike on the highway during the morning commute because those people are nuts. I have a back road route that is much less chaotic, plus it takes me twice as long which I see as a side benefit.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:58 AM   #52
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 660
after about a week of practice. i had a beater cbr250 and the will to do ANYTHING other than sit in a car on the 520 for 30-45 mins.

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #53
HanzoSteel
n00bish

Oddometer: 743
I started commuting with in a couple weeks after getting my license and have riden everyday that there is no snow on the ground, its about a 18 mile ride with about 8 miles on the highway.

Also, after a month of getting my license I did a 1100 mile trip to California from Colorado.

It's definitely when you feel confortable with your bike and your riding. I have a freind that has been riding a year and is eager to start commuting to work but she's not comfortable getting on the highway yet. Take the time you need to gain the confidence, its not worth the risk if you're not ready.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #54
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
The bad fog this moring made my ride to more fun.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #55
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
snuck around riding my motorcycles to school for years before I turned 16, got my M/C licence at 16, and continued with only bikes from then on.

I did eventually get my car licence at around 30 years old, and bought my first (and only) automobile, which I still have.

Am over 50 now, and still only commute by motorcycle.

For me, there are motorcycles, and then waaaaaay off in the distance, comes everything else in life.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #56
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
Couple of months for me. At the time I worked in the busiest part of our small town, so I was a little intimidated. After a job change, I now live less than a mile from work, so I only ride for joy/errands. That and I take the kids to school before going to work, so I just use the car.

There is a possibility of another job change in a few months that will take me about 10 miles away. Then I will commute via bike again.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #57
blackvans1234
Talking to myself...

Oddometer: 521
I commuted today.

Wore my MX boots, kind of a hassle to lug inside.

They're muddy so I can't wear them inside.

Can't wear normal shoes cuz we're all ATGATT
Old 04-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #58
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post

It's not a matter of "angst." Yeah, when I was 15 I thought I was invincible, too. Going at it with an understanding of the risks and a workable strategy for dealing with them is one thing but believing your own bullshit and thinking that you've got it all figured out when you have zip for experience is just an exercise in stupidity.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #59
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
I started commuting pretty much as soon as I had my license. Maybe even slightly before.

My commute is about 50 mi round trip and can be done on county roads, a US highway, or a state route. Having options is nice.

Don't push yourself into it before you're at least slightly comfortable with riding in or around traffic.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #60
letters85
n00b

Oddometer: 3
why wait?

I started commuting immediately. I may be a little loose in the head but I figure the only way to learn how to do something right is to do it, over and over and over... I got my bike running at lunch time and rode to work that afternoon. Granted I work a very short distance from my house but the morning after I rode from Jacksonville to St. Augustine down 95 with bike week traffic, that was interesting but not nerve wracking. I have rental property an hour away that I have to check on too so I just started riding everywhere. Ive put 1200 miles on the bike in less than a month, so like I said you only get proficient at what you practice at. All of that being said the saltier riders have words of wisdom that should be heeded, dont do anything you arent comfortable with. I am extremely comfortable on my bike.. even though I had to admit to my MSF instructor today that my rear tire is showing the evidence of my novice riding. An inexperienced heavy brake foot and quick downshifting have my rear tire taking on a square shape. But I am well aware that there are things that I have yet to learn and PRACTICE riding everywhere I go everyday. NEVER STOP LEARNING HOW TO RIDE!!
letters85 is offline   Reply With Quote