Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #61
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by letters85 View Post
But I am well aware that there are things that I have yet to learn and PRACTICE riding everywhere I go everyday. NEVER STOP LEARNING HOW TO RIDE!!
YES! You have to start somewhere and you have to keep doing it to develop and to maintain proficiency. I would say that as soon as you have the basics nailed down you need to start racking up some miles for focused practice. You should be able to read situations that tell you that you're in over your head so you can figure out how you're going to break down the risk into something manageable. That threshold is not only different for everybody, it can be different for each rider from one day to the next.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #62
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Some people think too much…...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post
It's not a matter of "angst." Yeah, when I was 15 I thought I was invincible, too. Going at it with an understanding of the risks and a workable strategy for dealing with them is one thing but believing your own bullshit and thinking that you've got it all figured out when you have zip for experience is just an exercise in stupidity.
….. and spew out a load of sanctimonious codswallop.

A motorcycle was practical, economical and available…… similar for quite a few other posters in this thread, I guess.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:12 PM   #63
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,522
Thumb Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
The day I got my license at 14.

Marc
To school, then work.

But I had been riding dirt since I was eight.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #64
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,975
Basically as soon as I graduated college. My parents said I couldn't ride the street until I was "fully out of their control" so I listened. My bike sat in the living room of my college house awaiting the day it could be ridden. A bit under 6 years and 100,000+ miles later, I'm hooked.
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:24 PM   #65
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoklahoma View Post
To school, then work.

But I had been riding dirt since I was eight.
I wish I had been able to learn that early. It was thirty years later for me, though I am kicking myself for not buying a dirt bike first and getting the basics nailed down on a dirt road or a field somewhere and not on a four-lane populated by SUVs going 70 mph in a 45 mph zone. The back roads sure seemed tame after that, though...

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
Old 04-02-2014, 02:53 AM   #66
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,563
Started riding at University, so I got three years where walking was faster. But after that, commuted every day.

Rode a lot though in those three years, but mostly dirt.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #67
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,610
I started back up commuting here in Detroit and promptly freaked out my coworkers. Since I got back, people keep telling me "oh, we will have to ride together this summer" and such. I really did think that there would be bikes in the lot last thursday, the first potential commute day (dry, ice-free). Friday, I rode in. Monday, I rode in. Today, I rode in. No other bikes. Where are all of these people I am supposed to ride with?

It is pretty funny to explain to them that the bike is transport as much as fun (fun transport!) and costs me 1/3 the cost of driving the car. I love my car, and he is fun to drive, but the bike is like Wheeeeeeee!!!! How can I say no to that? I can't!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:21 AM   #68
Newbee21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
bike /sub!!

Well got a job at 14 and bought a buddy's CB350 after he tried
to jump the local river!!!

Did not make the jump but got a large cat fish with the chain!.
Mike then said for 2 dollars its yours, three with the fish!!
Handed over a fiver and then drained the river water from almost
every part of the bike you can think of. Three weeks later rode
the bike to work for the first time. Learned that riding after a bad
day at work allows the stress to melt away. Some call it "blowing
some fresh air thru the head". Bike are transport but riding is fun!!.
Newbee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #69
sailorninja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbee21 View Post
Well got a job at 14 and bought a buddy's CB350 after he tried
to jump the local river!!!

Did not make the jump but got a large cat fish with the chain!.
Mike then said for 2 dollars its yours, three with the fish!!
Handed over a fiver and then drained the river water from almost
every part of the bike you can think of. Three weeks later rode
the bike to work for the first time. Learned that riding after a bad
day at work allows the stress to melt away. Some call it "blowing
some fresh air thru the head". Bike are transport but riding is fun!!.
Lol, I do agree with the stress part, by the time I made it home I had completely stopped stressing about the crap at work and was just relaxed. I enjoyed the morning ride a bit more than the evening ride however, mainly because I was exhausted after work and the idea of sitting (in a car or on a bike) for 30 minutes just was killing me. (And yes, I know other people have a MUCH longer ways to go/harder job, etc, etc. All the respects to them.) I just wanted to lay down. Haha :

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
sailorninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #70
InsideThePerimeter
North GA bound

Oddometer: 140
Depends on your commute.

I rode in the week after buying my first bike in the same month I got my MC endorsment.

Now I DO NOT commute on the bike. Riding is supposed to be fun.

It's 9 miles one way to downtown with 10 stop lights and 12 stop signs with 's playing on their phone while driving giant SUV's. Throw in a little 90 + degree weather in stop dead traffic and I'm done.

If you Don't Believe in Freedom For All -You Don't Believe in Freedom at All
InsideThePerimeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #71
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,527
I started commuting within a week or 2 of getting my Endorsement when I was 25 and was finally able to afford a bike. Granted while I was a n00b to street riding I was probably a bit more comfortable than a true newbie as I had rode dirt bikes and stuff as a kid. I was far from an expert rider but thankfully I was good enough not to get myself killed or crash.

Funny thing is since I moved to Colorado 2.5yrs ago, I've pretty much given up on commuting by bike. All the Cops (way to easy to get a ticket here) plus no lane splitting just ruined it for me. I also think that some of the novelty wears off after 10yrs of riding. I still love riding but prefer exploring back roads and dirt these days.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:05 PM   #72
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,329
The very next day - off to grade school and afterwards to work. The local police chief let you ride on the streets at an early age if you stayed out of trouble and had no accidents. Those were good times to be a kid.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA
popscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #73
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorninja View Post
Im new to riding all together and was curious how long and how people felt starting out with commuting. I get that it is transportation, I just wanted to see what other people said to help myself feel more comfortable about it. All good intentions.

Let's turn this around. As much as I hate to admit it, despite his not offering any useful input to help you out, AJ has a point: too much philosophical discussion going on here that isn't helping either. Mea culpa for my own contribution.

So, let's take another approach and let you tell us what you're after so we can maybe (just maybe) help you out:

• Do you want to commute frequently?
  • Why do you want to commute?
  • If you are not commuting now, what is keeping you from doing so?

It's good that you're getting in riding time. Hopefully you're aware by now that every moment you aren't riding, your skills are in decline. When I first started riding, my insurance company surprised me by reducing my rate quote when they found out I planned to ride full-time. They explained that their statistics show that occasional, weekend riders are at highest risk despite riding under more relaxed, lower traffic conditions. Conversely, the riders who ride every day was a sharply lower rate of incident.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
Old 04-03-2014, 03:59 AM   #74
sailorninja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post
Let's turn this around. As much as I hate to admit it, despite his not offering any useful input to help you out, AJ has a point: too much philosophical discussion going on here that isn't helping either. Mea culpa for my own contribution.

So, let's take another approach and let you tell us what you're after so we can maybe (just maybe) help you out:

• Do you want to commute frequently?
  • Why do you want to commute?
  • If you are not commuting now, what is keeping you from doing so?

It's good that you're getting in riding time. Hopefully you're aware by now that every moment you aren't riding, your skills are in decline. When I first started riding, my insurance company surprised me by reducing my rate quote when they found out I planned to ride full-time. They explained that their statistics show that occasional, weekend riders are at highest risk despite riding under more relaxed, lower traffic conditions. Conversely, the riders who ride every day was a sharply lower rate of incident.
Mmk. I'm still deciding about commuting more than twice a week, mainly because I have a very physically demanding job, medium to high stress depending on the day and although I am very focused while riding, (didnt even think about said stress) I don't feel comfortable riding with little sleep (working on that one) + 9 hours of physical labor and then driving home..however, somedays are better than others, Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays are the least "packed" on the roads leading back home (maybe a ten minute stretch of roads before I get into traffic-less/1-3 cars back roads).

I want to commute because I enjoy riding, I feel happier in the morning when I am getting on the bike, no matter where I am going.

I commuted once. I had only slept 3 hours so I skipped riding yesterday, and then woke up super late this morning (made it to work on time but came close). In all honesty I need to fix my sleeping schedule before I get into commuting throughout the week. Which is definitely a work in progress. Ha.

Id like to ride every day, but I wouldn't want to ONLY ride to work. I wanted a bike to explore with, commuting was just something extra to help save $.

Im fully aware I don't know every thing and everyone tells you even after "25-30 years of riding" they are still learning. So I know it's a never ending learning experience.

I look forward to learning more.

sailorninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #75
D R
----

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorninja View Post

I commuted once. I had only slept 3 hours so I skipped riding yesterday, and then woke up super late this morning (made it to work on time but came close). In all honesty I need to fix my sleeping schedule before I get into commuting throughout the week. Which is definitely a work in progress. Ha.

Id like to ride every day, but I wouldn't want to ONLY ride to work. I wanted a bike to explore with, commuting was just something extra to help save $.

Im fully aware I don't know every thing and everyone tells you even after "25-30 years of riding" they are still learning. So I know it's a never ending learning experience.

I look forward to learning more.

Smart moves on your part. Riding with little sleep is not a good idea. Likewise, if you're running late, leaving the motorcycle behind is usually a good idea -- you don't want to get in trouble by rushing to make up for lost time.

IMSAFE - Illness, Medication, Stress, Alchohol, Fatigue, Emotion