Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #76
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorninja View Post
I want to commute because I enjoy riding, I feel happier in the morning when I am getting on the bike, no matter where I am going.

....I look forward to learning more.
I think you're looking at this smartly.

As you grow as a rider, I think you will enjoy commuting more. It's a bit of trial be fire, if you're going to find trouble on the street, commuting is a good way to do it. I think it really sharpens your riding because you are in traffic and dealing with it constantly. Let's just say here that the best quick-stoppers are probably commuters!

Keep riding as you are comfortable pushing your boundaries a bit. Expand your envelope at your own rate and stick to the mantra of learning on every ride. Sometimes, you learn to enjoy the scenery a bit more. Eventually, you might find yourself giving advice to n00bs, too.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #77
sailorninja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
I think you're looking at this smartly.

As you grow as a rider, I think you will enjoy commuting more. It's a bit of trial be fire, if you're going to find trouble on the street, commuting is a good way to do it. I think it really sharpens your riding because you are in traffic and dealing with it constantly. Let's just say here that the best quick-stoppers are probably commuters!

Keep riding as you are comfortable pushing your boundaries a bit. Expand your envelope at your own rate and stick to the mantra of learning on every ride. Sometimes, you learn to enjoy the scenery a bit more. Eventually, you might find yourself giving advice to n00bs, too.
Thanks, and I actually did pay attention in my class! They told us when it would be bad times to ride, so I remembered, luckily I remembered a lot since I was super stoked to learn! Spending the 7 hours in the rain for my last day was quite a learning experience itself. (Buy actual rainproof pants, and rainx or the equivalent your helmet shield...and not to wear the tinted shield on dark, gloomy days...the list goes on for that Sunday! Lol but on a serious note it was a great class and helped me to really pay attention AHEAD of time and plan an escape in the case that i'd have to. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
sailorninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #78
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,424
I always ride with a tinted shield.......but I Always have a clear shield in my tankbag.

I've been caught out before.....never again!
Old 04-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #79
sailorninja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieO View Post
I always ride with a tinted shield.......but I Always have a clear shield in my tankbag.

I've been caught out before.....never again!
It was like 40° or less and pouring.
I kept having to crack it to not fog it up. I should have found one like my clear one. Lol I don't have a tankbag...yet! :( backpacks aren't that fun either.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #80
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,424
Tankbags are handy as a pocket on a shirt!

I wouldn't own a bike without one.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:41 AM   #81
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
It was like 40° or less and pouring.
I kept having to crack it to not fog it up. I should have found one like my clear one. Lol I don't have a tankbag...yet! :( backpacks aren't that fun either.

if you get a anti fog insert then it will stop your visor misting up clear or dark.

tank bag are good you can get a lot in one or you can just carry your lunch if you ride to work lol.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #82
sailorninja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
if you get a anti fog insert then it will stop your visor misting up clear or dark.

tank bag are good you can get a lot in one or you can just carry your lunch if you ride to work lol.
I have to have more than my lunch lol, I rode to work today and at a red light some redneck in an old trashy ford truck kept creeping closer to the back of my bike all while laughing to himself..it was creepy. He got a bit too close for comfort. Anyhoo, it's supposed to rain my whole drive home! Luckily I have my clear visor that is anti fog. :

Old 04-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #83
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
I have to have more than my lunch lol, I rode to work today and at a red light some redneck in an old trashy ford truck kept creeping closer to the back of my bike all while laughing to himself..it was creepy. He got a bit too close for comfort. Anyhoo, it's supposed to rain my whole drive home! Luckily I have my clear visor that is anti fog. :

Okay, it looks like your situational awareness is developing nicely. It looks like you've already figured out that you need to watch for the creepazoids. There seem to be a number of people who really enjoy trying to scare motorcyclists, and I can only assume their motivation is to get one to make a critical mistake and get into a wreck (while not being involved themselves). I've had my encounters with them as well. There's a guy who lives not far from me that I'm going to have to chat with when I find out where he lives; but he only screws around with me when I'm on my red bike. The closest call I had involved a very old woman who got within inches of hitting me: She was looking at me and laughing like hell that I nearly dumped my bike on the shoulder trying to get out of her way. If my skills had been better at the time, I could easily have gotten away from her, so in the post-mortem I noted that I needed

• To be constantly selecting new escape routes.
  • To work on maintaining ability to corner while feeling the pegs and exhaust grind (just don't want the rider grinding).
  • To learn to brake more effectively (and this includes knowing when to get off the brakes)

Maintaining control of your ride is all about keeping your option open. When you are out of options, you are now being controlled.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #84
sailorninja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post
Okay, it looks like your situational awareness is developing nicely. It looks like you've already figured out that you need to watch for the creepazoids. There seem to be a number of people who really enjoy trying to scare motorcyclists, and I can only assume their motivation is to get one to make a critical mistake and get into a wreck (while not being involved themselves). I've had my encounters with them as well. There's a guy who lives not far from me that I'm going to have to chat with when I find out where he lives; but he only screws around with me when I'm on my red bike. The closest call I had involved a very old woman who got within inches of hitting me: She was looking at me and laughing like hell that I nearly dumped my bike on the shoulder trying to get out of her way. If my skills had been better at the time, I could easily have gotten away from her, so in the post-mortem I noted that I needed

• To be constantly selecting new escape routes.
  • To work on maintaining ability to corner while feeling the pegs and exhaust grind (just don't want the rider grinding).
  • To learn to brake more effectively (and this includes knowing when to get off the brakes)

Maintaining control of your ride is all about keeping your option open. When you are out of options, you are now being controlled.
Yeah, like on my way home, I passed a school, some dumb young chick on a cell phone in a grey Taurus decided to pull out in front of me (crossing the lane) and make a dead brake slammed stop with the cop already having told her not to go. I noticed her wheels moving, the fact she didn't look my direction once and that she was on a cell, while paying attention to the way the cars tires were facing in the other lane. It really bugs me when people play on their phone while driving and such. Be smart and considerate of other peoples LIVES. k thanks. Rant over. ;)

Old 04-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #85
sailorninja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, like on my way home, I passed a school, some dumb young chick on a cell phone in a grey Taurus decided to pull out in front of me (crossing the lane) and make a dead brake slammed stop with the cop already have told her not to go. I noticed her wheels moving, the fact she didn't look my direction once and that she was on a cell, while paying attention to the way the cars tires were facing in the other lane. It really bugs me when people play on their phone while driving and such. Be smart and considerate of other peoples LIVES. k thanks. Rant over. ;)

Didn't mean to do this one. Oops

Old 04-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #86
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Quote:
Yeah, like on my way home, I passed a school, some dumb young chick on a cell phone in a grey Taurus decided to pull out in front of me (crossing the lane) and make a dead brake slammed stop with the cop already having told her not to go. I noticed her wheels moving, the fact she didn't look my direction once and that she was on a cell, while paying attention to the way the cars tires were facing in the other lane. It really bugs me when people play on their phone while driving and such. Be smart and considerate of other peoples LIVES. k thanks. Rant over. ;)

Being on the bike saved my bacon with a similar driver. Likewise, young girl driver, in this case texting. She ran a stop sign from a side street, made a wiiiiiiiide right turn, and accelerated right for me, completely in my lane. I decided to get as far right as I could (tires hitting dirt) instead of swerving into the left lane in case she got back into her lane. She didn't but another car pulled out behind her from another side street, so she was still all the way in my lane when we passed. We were so close I could see the Nokia logo on her phone, and she never once looked up until she got another 100 yards down the road.

Now, bad as that sounds on a bike, can you imagine getting out of that one without being hurt or killed in a cage?

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
Old 04-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #87
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Quote:
It really bugs me when people play on their phone while driving and such. Be smart and considerate of other peoples LIVES.
I don't see much hope for improvement. Too many societal pressures for staying connected all the time. And that gets to one of the major reasons I commute: It gives me 60-90 minutes a day nobody can call me on the phone to drag me into a meeting. I've got better things to think about than work during that time, e.g. what it takes to stay alive and intact from one moment to the next. It is strangely relaxing.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
Old 04-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #88
sailorninja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Agreed. I love riding because I'm too focused to care about any stress. It's nice. It just sucks that people feel the need to "play" with you on the road... shame.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #89
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Have you looked into some side cases for your bike? Givi E21s are not terribly expensive, hold a useful amount of gear, are waterproof and lockable, detach from the bike so you can carry them inside without having to unload them at the bike, and do not stick so far out from the bike as to make the bike cumbersome.

Personally, I have a top case for mine (for my gargantuan laptop). I used to wear a backpack but it caused a lot of fatigue, and some of the comments I found on-line from orthopedic surgeons describing injuries resulting from wearing backpack turned me off from it. The problem with the top case is that it makes getting on and off the bike a bit clumsy the way I have mine mounted and has a nice sail effect to catch crosswinds. On a recent commute home, winds were gusting to 40 mph, making the back end of my bike dance a little. (At least it wasn't twerking. )

Side cases do not affect the stability as much top cases since they tend to be well within the load triangle and do not increase the profile of the bike. They can also help prevent damage to the bike in the event of a tip-over. Not sure what you're riding, but I can assure you that you will not find factory new plastic for the price of a replacement E21.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
Old 04-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #90
TinyTrains
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I had a motor cycle license before I had a car license, so I have always commuted!

First bike was a 1969 CL175 in 1977 and I rode to high school.