FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
I shall not judge. But really?
Old 04-01-2014, 06:25 AM   #33
guyfawkes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
from the time the van pulled out to the point where the front wheel of the bike was on the same height as the rear of the car he could have stopped twice ...

edit: youtube comments are hilarious..."it was the vans fault"...

guyfawkes screwed with this post 04-01-2014 at 06:34 AM
guyfawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:36 AM   #34
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raabe View Post
Has anyone seen, that there was a traffic light, that was green for the Biker?

Starting from that, if the Van was ignoring a Red light (wich he probably did do - i can not imagine both being green at the same time), in case of a lawsuit, the van might get to be the one "at fault" (at least, in austria that is what would definately happen) nevertheless what the rider did AFTER the van ran the red light. But again, that is obviously not Austria, so i do not know how it would been handled there.

Absolutely aside of that, my personal opinion: Stupid stupid biker! Sorry to be so rude, but he could have slow down easily to avoid any crash at all, he could have most probably overtake him on the other side (unless that side was occupied or he though the van might go for said side), but to go between the Van AND the pedestrian way (where trees and fancy black little steel fences are) is just plain stupidity. Thats at least my opinion!

Poor bike and poor bike owner... My condolences for the bike...

BR
I don't think it's possible to tell if the van ran the red light or not. He could have just made a right on red. The stop line is pretty far back. With the timing of the video, we can't tell if the van was driving and rolled through it, or if it came to a complete stop and then made the right on red. Either way, I don't think the van actually pulled out in front of the bike. From the video (which makes it more difficult to analyze), it looks like the lane was clear when the van pulled out.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:44 AM   #35
guyfawkes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I don't think it's possible to tell if the van ran the red light or not. He could have just made a right on red. The stop line is pretty far back. With the timing of the video, we can't tell if the van was driving and rolled through it, or if it came to a complete stop and then made the right on red. Either way, I don't think the van actually pulled out in front of the bike. From the video (which makes it more difficult to analyze), it looks like the lane was clear when the van pulled out.
there was no need to over- or in this case undertake, at all.
even if the van ran a red light there was more than enough room to slow down...somebody just got cocky
guyfawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:59 AM   #36
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
It's a little hard to tell from the video whether the van stopped, due to the camera position. But, I count 5 seconds from the time the van began to move until the crash. Plenty of time, it would seem, to react and get on the brakes, or move left, or something...

Even if the van didn't stop, and therefore, ran his red, people do that all the time on otherwise legal red light turns, so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has any self-preservation sense.

The video reminds me of the Russian dashcam videos where you're watching a situation developing and waiting for a reaction from the driver, but instead, they dive headlong into oblivion.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #37
sphyrnidus
born to ride

Oddometer: 125
I use a GoPro and it is a bit hard to judge distances. Objects always appear farther away than they are. But listening to the sound of the bike, he doesn't brake or slow down at all and there is some time passing. Why not slow down on this seemingly empty road and swing to the left. This was rather stupid imho
Old 04-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #38
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,289
Looking at the second, longer video that danO posted- the way this guy rides, it can't be his first pile-up.

Weaving in and out of lanes on city streets- only a matter of time before someone was going to lay HIM down.

Passing on the right? WTF did he think was going to happen? Surprise!!
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #39
ishdishwishfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
Looking at the second, longer video that danO posted- the way this guy rides, it can't be his first pile-up.

Weaving in and out of lanes on city streets- only a matter of time before someone was going to lay HIM down.

Passing on the right? WTF did he think was going to happen? Surprise!!
haha when he says "honestly I ride like a stupid ass" that's when it heads south.
I sure as hell wouldn't ride with him, and I'm a noob by all means (I've made it through the first 4 years w/o incident though ). But I don't go out of my way to pass at every instance, just to beat down the road a couple of car lengths. That doesn't get you anywhere.

But right after that 1:35 mark (at least he looked) he leapt out two lanes. You can tell the ford fusion on his left was going to do the same thing, notices he's there (thank god), then hits the brakes.
Then later someone brakes to hit the gas station, he cuts off another driver on his left--he maybe had 3ft in addition to his bike length? Maybe less?

Does it seem like he's not planning ahead, and he's always in a hurry to best the next driver? I bet I could keep ahead of him just by staying in the right lane.
ishdishwishfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:15 AM   #40
willfreely
Elderly Beligerant

Oddometer: 394
The only guy dumber than the rider was the one who loaned him a Ducati in the 1st place.
willfreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #41
ishdishwishfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
yeah who does that?! oh I met this guy on the internets, so I said yeah sure you can borrow my bike!
ishdishwishfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #42
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbalt View Post
My guess is he had no intention of slowing down or stopping. He planned exactly what he did.
Exactely!

Passing on the right at speed makes a way cooler video!

This is when the van starts to merge

Enough "room" (maybe not that much "time" but it's the bike's fault, not the van's) to turn right on a red (legal there I guess?) light into the street.

Enough "room" for the bike to brake or change to the left lane. And by enough, I mean enough for anybody, not only for a super skilled rider.

No, this guy tried to pass on the right on purpose, to look cool on his channel, period.

SgtDuster screwed with this post 04-01-2014 at 11:39 AM
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #43
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
I don't know, never rode a Panigale...maybe the brakes suck. At this point of the video maybe he's hard on the binders but unable to slow sufficiently.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #44
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfawkes View Post
edit: youtube comments are hilarious..."it was the vans fault"...
Quote:
You also have to remember by law the van had to stop at the red light before proceeding to make the right turn. By law any vehicle entering the stream of traffic is automatically at fault regardless of any other factors. The van is completely responsible for stopping, checking, estimating the bikes speed and the vans ability to accelerate. Was CO2W speeding? By law it doesnt matter. The van made the decision to enter the stream of traffic thus accepting all responsibility. As for him swerving instead of stopping. Thats literally biking 101, its safer to try and avoid the crash by swerving then trying to stop. Its taught in all motorcycle courses everywhere. As to why he swerved to the inside, probably because experience taught him most people dont stay in there own goddamn lane when making a turn onto a multi-lane road and they certainly dont hug the curb the way the van did. Options are that you might hit the vehicle on the inside and fall to the sidewalk (which he did) or he could swerve to the outside and get bumped into oncoming traffic.. smart choice to choose the inside IMHO.
My_Dear_God!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #45
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
oof.

Those spendy bodywork crunching sounds made me wince, and then the little wrought iron pointy fence bits around the tree made me cringe, lol

Dude was going way too fast, not paying attention, and then picked the one least favourable course of action to avoid collision. IMHO.

It sounded like to me, that he backed off the throttle in confused/hopeful anticipation of the van's turning trajectory continuing wide left, and was caught off guard (above and beyond being waaay too late to notice it in his path in the first place, of course) when the van seemed to jig right to stay in that lane after all.

Most people really do seem to swing out into the wrong lane when turning like that. Go figure he got the exception, lol. I think he really should have braked instead of hesitating, and then gassing it trying to play Tron.

And can you really be all that properly aware of your surroundings on a fast moving unfamiliar bike in the city, when you are playing video blog star to your adoring 'Tube fans?
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote