ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
unaweep OP
Uses lotsa band-aids
 
unaweep's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Western Colorado
Oddometer: 17,451
Fuel quick disconnect

I broke my quick disconnect last week- the one from the fuel pump that hooks into the throttle body- the one you disconnect when you remove the left tank. Please don't ask for details of the event.

I've been searching for a replacement and there are a billion options for anywhere from a couple bucks to a hundred. I'd kinda like to have a brass or at least metal fitting. It occurred to me that were that to happen out in some remote place and there could be a real problem.

Any suggestions? FYI- motion pro disconnectors fail within one or two rides. They really aren't heavy duty enough. (plastic) And, that's been on my rear advtank with little use.

Thanks for all replies, insults and puns.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?
 
JoeMongo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
Oddometer: 349
I've replaced more than one of these that broke . . .

They do tend to break without warning, if placed under any kind of alignment stress. I finally gave up and installed fuel injection line without any QDs on my R1150GS. It was just too much of a hassle to keep using QDs.

This is what I bought to replace my 990 QD:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't installed it yet (probably next week), but 5/16" is what the line size is supposed to be.

BTW, use FI line hose clamps, not the worm drive type for water hose.
__________________
'08 990 ADV, '03 DR-Z400S

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
unaweep OP
Uses lotsa band-aids
 
unaweep's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Western Colorado
Oddometer: 17,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMongo View Post
They do tend to break without warning, if placed under any kind of alignment stress. I finally gave up and installed fuel injection line without any QDs on my R1150GS. It was just too much of a hassle to keep using QDs.

This is what I bought to replace my 990 QD:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't installed it yet (probably next week), but 5/16" is what the line size is supposed to be.

BTW, use FI line hose clamps, not the worm drive type for water hose.
That is EXACTLY what I've been looking for!

Thank you! I kinda felt like an asshole for even asking, but invariably, someone's already done "that" and I can profit from their trial and error.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
Lycan1
Grizzly herder
 
Lycan1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 832
KTM twins and CJ sell them. I bought mine frm KTM Twins.5/16th is the correct size. They are made by Cold Products in the US. http://www.colder.com/Tabid/72/PartF.../Products.aspx Part # LCD22005 is one The other side is part # LCD17005


Test fit before installing the clamp.


Note the type of clamp.

Everyone that sells these ultimately is sourcing them from Cold Products, just look for the "CPC" engraved on the valve release tab. It is the valved, in-line, barbed, 5/16th size that is a direct replacement.
__________________
Uhaul, it's part of the KTM experience.
09 KTM 990 Adv

Lycan1 screwed with this post 03-31-2014 at 05:13 AM
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
hontri
Global Bummer!
 
hontri's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Summerland B.C.
Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
I broke my quick disconnect last week- the one from the fuel pump that hooks into the throttle body- the one you disconnect when you remove the left tank. Please don't ask for details of the event.

I've been searching for a replacement and there are a billion options for anywhere from a couple bucks to a hundred. I'd kinda like to have a brass or at least metal fitting. It occurred to me that were that to happen out in some remote place and there could be a real problem.

Any suggestions? FYI- motion pro disconnectors fail within one or two rides. They really aren't heavy duty enough. (plastic) And, that's been on my rear advtank with little use.

Thanks for all replies, insults and puns.
I get mine here. They have plastic,stainless,brass. All varieties.http://www.industrialspec.com/quickc...sconnects.html
hontri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:28 PM   #6
gefr
Life is a trip
 
gefr's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: East Med, Greece
Oddometer: 3,728
Another source

Someone had this mentioned in OC, a while ago:
http://www.coyote-gear.com/quickdisconnects.html
a bit cheaper,
Cheers.

gefr screwed with this post 03-30-2014 at 10:33 PM
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:16 PM   #7
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!
 
bikyto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Northern Cali
Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
Someone had this mentioned in OC, a while ago:
http://www.coyote-gear.com/quickdisconnects.html
a bit cheaper,
Cheers.
+1
I have this one. I like it.
__________________
The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself...
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:15 AM   #8
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.
 
ebrew's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Denver colo
Oddometer: 1,249
Did you use the

1/4" fittings?
ebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:17 AM   #9
Lycan1
Grizzly herder
 
Lycan1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 832
5/16 th

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrew View Post
1/4" fittings?
Not on the 990. Our bikes need the 5/16th size. I know because I got the 1/4" first and they where too small.


Stock Black plastic vs the 1/4" stainless (too small).


See the difference.

Make sure you get the 5/16" !
__________________
Uhaul, it's part of the KTM experience.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
sonoran
bruh
 
sonoran's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Valle del Sol
Oddometer: 21,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
Someone had this mentioned in OC, a while ago:
http://www.coyote-gear.com/quickdisconnects.html
a bit cheaper,
Cheers.
Got mine there but the 5/16" version is no longer on their site.
sonoran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #11
ztrab
Studly Adventurer
 
ztrab's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Tucson, Az
Oddometer: 678
Field notes

FWIW, carry a couple of extra o-rings, they can deform or get nicked, then you have a big leaky. When I replace my fittings, I use high quality FI screw clamps so I can make a field change easily. The crimp clamps are great but a real beast to change in the middle of nowhere, especially if you don't want to carry a humongous crimp tool.
__________________
09 1200 SGA
07 1200 GS SOLD
06 HP2 (damn it Cartwright) Sold
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #12
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128
 
Cpt. Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 3,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrab View Post
FWIW, carry a couple of extra o-rings, they can deform or get nicked, then you have a big leaky. When I replace my fittings, I use high quality FI screw clamps so I can make a field change easily. The crimp clamps are great but a real beast to change in the middle of nowhere, especially if you don't want to carry a humongous crimp tool.
+1 A bag of 100 of those o-rings is stuck to the garage refrigerator door. I change them every time those QD's are used (on my RTP, the tank doesn't come off that often).
__________________
Cpt. Ron

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #13
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer
 
Doug Matson's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Torrance, Ca.
Oddometer: 1,519
On my Beemer when they went south I used these, they are all metal and work great I got them from Racerwharehouse they are Jiffytite
__________________
04' 950 Adventure
03' 450 EXC
05' K1200 LT
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #14
wcohl
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 280
Can the quick disconnect be eliminated and run a piece of fuel hose direct from the fuel pump to carbs? On my 950 SM, the fuel pump mounts to the left-inside portion of the tank. The length of fuel line from the quick disconnect to the fuel pump is only a few inches.
wcohl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #15
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?
 
JoeMongo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
+1 A bag of 100 of those o-rings is stuck to the garage refrigerator door. I change them every time those QD's are used (on my RTP, the tank doesn't come off that often).
Hey Ron, got a spec on that O-ring? I threw my digital caliper on an O-ring, but I'm having trouble picking a specific O-ring. Thanks,
J.

BTW, installed my CPC chrome plated brass QD today, and it will last as long as my KTM.
__________________
'08 990 ADV, '03 DR-Z400S

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014