Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Asia Pacific
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2014, 03:25 AM   #1
twistti OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Has anyone sucessfully crossed Malaysia to Indo on a bike?

Im looking at buyiing a xr250 in cambodia and riding to indo, then selling the bike at the end.
Has anyone done this?

id love to know if its possible, in relation to visa/carnets. Thanks!
twistti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:50 AM   #2
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,343
I΄ve transported my bike from Malaysia to Indonesia, 6 yrs ago... Cakra Shipping΄s onion boats from Penang were the way to go at least back then.

But this was my bike from Europe, and I had the carnet for it. Which I believe Indonesia requires, and even the shipping company folks asked about it straight away, said they΄ll only ship bikes on carnets. How do you arrange a carnet for a bike you buy in Cambodia, I just don΄t know.... or if there is a way in without it.

(There was somebody a few years ago, who had bought a cheap bike in Vietnam, and did manage to get it all the way down to Indo, so maybe it is somehow do-able.. but sorry I never followed that trip so closely as to know, how exactly he did it).
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:49 AM   #3
RDT953
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Carnet required

I did the land crossing from Timor to Indonesia on a small bike late last year and the carnet was definitely required. I used Cakra from Indonesia to Malaysia and same deal with the carnet to get into Malaysia. Oddly enough when you do the land crossing from Thailand into Malaysia they don't even record that the bike has come into the country.
You might be able to organise a carnet in KL but if you dump the bike in Indonesia you will lose the money on the carnet. It would be cheaper to just buy another bike in Indonesia.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,473
A few years back Beemerboy took his Africa twin to Sumatra. Dig through ride reports for his story. No carnet he had to fork up some bribe money and had a local rider help. It's doable but not easy.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:13 AM   #5
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post
A few years back Beemerboy took his Africa twin to Sumatra. Dig through ride reports for his story. No carnet he had to fork up some bribe money and had a local rider help. It's doable but not easy.
If you're referring to a ride report from 7-8 years ago, this dude actually did get in without carnet - but not without banging his head to the wall with the customs for about 2 days. Indonesian customs can really be a pain. While I was there, I met several bikers, who had had considerable problems on entry, and some had been stuck for weeks. WITH carnet as well! Belawan & land border in Timor seem to work quite well, any other point of entry, like Jakarta airport, could be asking for trouble.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:53 AM   #6
ShaneBaby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
My bike is in Thailand now, Now there is a big sign when you enter thailand now from malaysia that requires you to fill in a Temp import document. which is valid for a month ONLY i did this by choice becuase the big sign said I had to.
pain in ass even though I had the carnet stamped aswell my bike can only be in Thailand for one month someone please tell me Im wrong because I have to ride back to malaysia to get another month
ShaneBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
peter4d
Life is adventure

Oddometer: 232
Time limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneBaby View Post
My bike is in Thailand now, Now there is a big sign when you enter thailand now from malaysia that requires you to fill in a Temp import document. which is valid for a month ONLY i did this by choice becuase the big sign said I had to.
pain in ass even though I had the carnet stamped aswell my bike can only be in Thailand for one month someone please tell me Im wrong because I have to ride back to malaysia to get another month
Sorry, but I tried twice to get a temp import for longer than one month, but the don't allow it.

They will fine you for everyday your bike overstays even if you have a longer visa. Had to head to Lao and Cambodia to get another issued.