Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2014, 12:46 AM   #16
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 944
Some years ago, I remember sitting around a campfire at a certain rally, listening to a group of distinguished gentlemen riders (including the organizer) discuss in bewildered disappointment why each year the numbers are falling, as the older riders leave and young ones don't replace them. In a rally of 200, there were about 5 riders under 40, and 2 under 35.

Being one of the 2, I said it's probably because there's 200 blokes here and only one (married) woman. That only confused things more, because no-one seemed to have any idea why women are even less likely to show up (or even ride) than young people.

Then I read some of the comments in threads about women with ambitious riding plans (at least, the ones that don't get booted immediately to the basement) and the answer seems pretty clear to me....

Good on this lady for breaking into what is definitely NOT a womans world.

Her ride is not the way I'd do it - I think her site's a bit cheezey, she's obviously really into the whole 'adventure riding' image, and I'm sure she's going to get as much shit for having sponsors as I'm gonna get for writing this.

But she's out there. She's doing it. She might be doing it "Long Way" style, but if Ewan and Charlie could rally a generation of businessmen onto GS's, maybe this girl can get a few women onto some KTMs.

And I totally do not have any problem with that at all. It'd sure make rallies a bit more diverse....providing something doesn't scare them off.
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:59 AM   #17
Boo82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post
Some years ago, I remember sitting around a campfire at a certain rally, listening to a group of distinguished gentlemen riders (including the organizer) discuss in bewildered disappointment why each year the numbers are falling, as the older riders leave and young ones don't replace them. In a rally of 200, there were about 5 riders under 40, and 2 under 35.

Being one of the 2, I said it's probably because there's 200 blokes here and only one (married) woman. That only confused things more, because no-one seemed to have any idea why women are even less likely to show up (or even ride) than young people.

Then I read some of the comments in threads about women with ambitious riding plans (at least, the ones that don't get booted immediately to the basement) and the answer seems pretty clear to me....

Good on this lady for breaking into what is definitely NOT a womans world.

Her ride is not the way I'd do it - I think her site's a bit cheezey, she's obviously really into the whole 'adventure riding' image, and I'm sure she's going to get as much shit for having sponsors as I'm gonna get for writing this.

But she's out there. She's doing it. She might be doing it "Long Way" style, but if Ewan and Charlie could rally a generation of businessmen onto GS's, maybe this girl can get a few women onto some KTMs.

And I totally do not have any problem with that at all. It'd sure make rallies a bit more diverse....providing something doesn't scare them off.
I would love to go to more rallies/events within the motorcycling world, but I find that because both myself and my husband ride, I tend to be the one who stays home with the baby. Younger woman have a lot more commitments at home, well that's in my case anyway. It's not always the company that is stopping women from going out with everyone, adv girls tend to be quite resilient and can give just as good as we get.

Boo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #18
thecanoeguy
just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer: 1,846
Bring on more women riding bikes around the block or round the world i say , but when you put yourself up on fund me for fun type web sites , i put that in the same league as begging on the street , actually worse because SOME of the street beggars need that to live ,, and to give money to beggars so they can La De Da around the world on a new KTM , fuck that shit, why not work in a job or 2 for an extra year or 2 then do your trip , like most other people , or heaven forbid , do the trip , then film it or write a book about it
thecanoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #19
Auntie_BB
thread killer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
. . . no-one seemed to have any idea why women are even less likely to show up (or even ride) than young people.
You must be riding with the wrong people and/or attending the wrong events. There's always lots of women with the touring group I ride with. There's even a reasonable percentage of those lazy Gen Y's.
You'll find us at rallies and on monthly weekend trips away. We'll be churning up the dust along the forgotten dirt roads out the back of Bathurst, Canberra and Taree.
In fact, we're doing a 5000km round trip to Tassie over Easter. Out of the 22 going, 9 are women and 7 of them will be riding their own bikes.

I don't want to ride the world, but I'll take a stab at riding every road I can up and down the east coast of Aus. I just need more time and, just like the RTW girl, more money.

Auntie_BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #20
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,861
On this topic, does anyone remember running into a girl called Carol, riding a Yamaha XT250 from memory, on the east coast of Oz, back in the early 80,s, lets say 1982, pretty sure I saw her at Warrumbungles then and again over on the coast early 83. She was a great chick, and the first girl rider adver that I had met. Anyone?
sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #21
Auntie_BB
thread killer

T'wasn't me. I was still at school. Didn't get my first bike until '87.

Awww. . . crap. I'm so old

Meh
27 years later and probably a million km under the wheels and I still love riding

Old 04-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #22
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie_BB View Post
You must be riding with the wrong people and/or attending the wrong events. There's always lots of women with the touring group I ride with. There's even a reasonable percentage of those lazy Gen Y's.
You'll find us at rallies and on monthly weekend trips away. We'll be churning up the dust along the forgotten dirt roads out the back of Bathurst, Canberra and Taree.
In fact, we're doing a 5000km round trip to Tassie over Easter. Out of the 22 going, 9 are women and 7 of them will be riding their own bikes.

I don't want to ride the world, but I'll take a stab at riding every road I can up and down the east coast of Aus. I just need more time and, just like the RTW girl, more money.
How many more days now, Auntie_BB?
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #23
diabolik37
Push Dumb C***

Oddometer: 913
Quote:
get as much shit for having sponsors as I'm gonna get for writing this.

We have great girls riding in my group as well... Lets see.. We have Bruce, Paul, Butch....
Old 04-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #24
Auntie_BB
thread killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64 View Post
How many more days now, Auntie_BB?
9 days til I start annual leave
13 days til I leave Sydney, and
15 days til we board the ferry

Old 04-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #25
Russ

Oddometer: 15,717
T-shirts arrived
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:29 PM   #26
Auntie_BB
thread killer

Auntie_BB screwed with this post 04-02-2014 at 09:36 PM Reason: removed large, annoying animated gif
Old 04-03-2014, 12:56 AM   #27
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecanoeguy View Post
Bring on more women riding bikes around the block or round the world i say , but when you put yourself up on fund me for fun type web sites , i put that in the same league as begging on the street , actually worse because SOME of the street beggars need that to live ,, and to give money to beggars so they can La De Da around the world on a new KTM , fuck that shit
Why?

It's not like she's forcing you to donate. Or even getting in your way trying to convince you. Why does giving those inclined the option to help her have a great trip on a shiny new bike deserve such contempt? Because she's not doing it 'Cheap Aussie Style' ? Sounds like jealousy.

Several inmates here have put up threads here in the past asking for help to get them to their goals (Dakar), and the level of support they've received here has been truly fantastic. They've achieved those dreams as a result. They've certainty not been labeled as 'worse than beggars'....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie_BB View Post
Yea, maybe I am.

Though I tend to ride on my own lately, I'm generally fairly terrible company.
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:15 AM   #28
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,091
Jdeks I'm hearing what your saying and I'm hearing what Auntie_BB is saying too which is perhaps working the trend back the other way. Maybe these guys are better company worth a look...even for an old solo rider.

And I've seen a few post in here and other places asking for monetary help too. Nothing wrong with seeking out financials to follow a dream. Look at most of the out-of-the-ordinary sports like car racing or off shore power boat's or gliding or rock climbing or any type of normal business. Its just a way of raising funds.

But yep if its a "girl"....women then its somehow not fairdinkum. Sort of miss the point some people.
gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:04 AM   #29
thecanoeguy
just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer: 1,846
Jdeks,you are entitled to your opinion as i am mine ,its a forum , i work for my money and travel when i have it , not asking anyone to pay my way , may be cheap aussie style , but it is not asking for handouts,, you can give er some of your studly adventure

thecanoeguy screwed with this post 04-03-2014 at 05:14 AM
thecanoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #30
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,177
Want to post up asking for someone to fund your racing / travel / lifestyle dreams? Go for it. Bit cheeky and I probably won't give you any money, but as long as you're upfront and totally honest about it, I don't see any problem.

Want to post up about your plans for an upcoming fundraiser record attempt / charity social ride etc. and make a clear commitment that 100% of all funds raised go to charity ? I applaud you and will probably chip in.

Want to post up something with perhaps vague references to "helping children" or "raising profiles"? Or maybe you want to organise an event under the banner of high profile, well known charity but a close read of your website doesn't reveal exactly where all the money goes? Count me out.

The woman who is the subject of this thread is far from the worst offender here. While she does load up her site with vague emotive stuff about "helping the kiddies" at least she does state (for those who manage to get past the pictures) that the money is going to travel expenses.

There've been several examples on this forum over the last year or so of people promoting "charity rides" under the banner of extremely high profile Australian charities. I have no doubt that these people are well intentioned and raise money for those charities, but no mention is made of how much goes in "running expenses" and "administration".

Do your research and direct your charitable donations to where it will do the most good.
woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote