Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2014, 07:25 PM   #16
Tenerrod
Backyard Hack

Oddometer: 923
I'm have been planning on sneaking one of the Skyteam Ace 125 into the back of the garage for a while now.
It can sit next to my rc yacht and rc plane and surfboard and spare fish tank.
Im' thinking small 2 stroke engine transplant. Now that will give it some get up and go.

edit. And from all the searching l have done from owners who have had them for more than 12 months is that they are surprisingly reliable and damn slow. Definitely have to do a complete spanner check and plan to do a suspension upgrade if you get the thing going ok.

Tenerrod screwed with this post 04-01-2014 at 07:32 PM
Tenerrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #17
TBR
Daily ADV Red China

Oddometer: 530
Some are good quality ~ some are cheap shite of course, made for a price.

Own a Jialing JH600 (600cc / solo) and a Jialing JH600 (600cc / sidecar) for a few years and happy with them, no complaints from my side. Of course owning and operating them here in China makes them cheap daily runners and spares are readily available.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:50 AM   #18
OFB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
I haven't owned one, but rode a lifan 150cc cruiser around Vietnam for 8 days two up with a bag strapped to the back. An indicator fell off on one really rough road, but apart from that was actually quite impressed. The brakes worked, it handled quite well, I actually thoroughly enjoyed riding it. Yes I had to go right back down through the gears on a couple of really steep hills, but seeing as I weigh 150kg and had a pillion and some luggage and the motor was only 150cc. I wasn't exactly surprised by the need to use first and second a few times
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:13 AM   #19
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,590
About 8 years ago, I spent $1800 and bought my daughter a second-hand Yamaha TTR90; about a month later, my b-i-l bought his son an Atomic 125 Chinese pitbike and bought the boy and the bike here to get some riding in. B-i-l was big on the fact that he'd paid less than half for a brand new 125, than I'd paid for a used 90.
After freeing off the shock mounts so the Atomic's swingarm could actually move, the kids started riding around a track we'd cleared around the house. There were some spills, but thanks to ATGATT, no tears.
After about 20 mins, the nephew bails his 125 and pushes it back to the house: broken footpeg.
But not just broken: peeled out the frame like a long thin strip out of a beer-can.
End of his ride for the day.
About a year later, I asked him when he was coming riding again? He wasn't. The frame was of some wierd metal than couldn't be welded - besides being paper-thin, it fizzed and smoked and bubbled away when heated. A new frame was exactly the same price as a whole new bike, so the thing lay in the car-port for a few months - and eventually went out with a Hard Rubbish collection.
$875 for 20 mins riding.
In contrast, my daughter rode the wheels off her TTR90 for 5 years and we sold it for $200 less than we'd paid for it: $1600.
Chinese bikes? No thanks!
Old 04-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #20
Neonasty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonmichaellee View Post
Exactly so it devalued by $1000 in seven years and caused no end of problems, You can by a Yamaha XT250 or Honda XL 250 for around a thousand bucks ride it for seven years with minimul problems and after seven years it's still worth $1000.

The real problem is not fixing them but the lack of something to ride whilst it needs fixing, disappointed kids with no ride today even though dad promised, getting it home when it's broken down etc. etc.

Cheers Gordo'

Cheers Gordo'
Actually it devalued at a rate of $1000 per hour.

Absolutely I would buy an xr200 instead. Everytime.
Neonasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #21
Tony T OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,413
FWIW, I've decided not to buy a Chinese bike just yet, however I've learned that not all Chinese built bikes are 'junk'.
There seems to be some that would probably suit my needs quite well and you do get what you pay for.
And just to clarify, I was interested in one mainly to work on and develop into something useful and maybe use for the occasional overnighter. It would never have been something I would do any serious trips on.
I really enjoy my time in the shed bringing old bikes back to life, but I was just getting a little tired of all the rusty parts and dirt.
Might have another look at these in a couple of years as I reckon they will continue to improve.
Tony T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:26 PM   #22
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 833
Yes they will improve with time. Then one day we will wonder where all the Italian, German even Japanese bike went to. We will be riding Great Wall, Lozix, Xonchew and Bangshit.
Prices will be cheep at first then as the other companies disapear the only ones left will start jacking up there prices and bingo. Were f*cked.

Chinnese? Never.

Call me paranoid.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:50 AM   #23
Tex_Aus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
FWIW, I've decided not to buy a Chinese bike just yet, however I've learned that not all Chinese built bikes are 'junk'.
There seems to be some that would probably suit my needs quite well and you do get what you pay for.
The dream doesn't have to die here. Why not buy a second hand one? You'll be virtually guaranteed some shed time then. Seriously though, you might find a good project on Gumtree for even less outlay than you originally planned.

A quick search revealed some cheap Kinlon and Atomik 200/250 options.

Tex
Tex_Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:14 AM   #24
Just Dan
Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
All I know about the Skyteam is from this guys thread... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=902645
That would be my going to work rocket. My experience is not bad. If you are rough on your bikes. Don't buy a Chinese bike. They do need tinkering with to sort them. Loctite is your friend. Nothing has broken on mine and starts every time.

The ACE is barrel of laughs, every time I ride it. Most people come from the view that my ACE going to slow as. I do ride it like a Moto3 bike though.

The ACE did start off being slower than a postie bike. Now it tops out about 120 kph.

Old bikers don't get old by accident.
Just Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #25
ararat
Dr. BMW and Mr KTM

Oddometer: 1,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar View Post
Bought a brand new Haobon 125 in Qinzhou China (close to Vietnam border) in 2008 and rode it 8,000km all around China, including up to Mongolia, before selling it a month later in Shanghai. Apart from punctures (frequent) and a snapped rear rack (due to overloading and the very poor roads) the bike never failed me.

On the days I rode I averaged 500km so overall reliability was not an issue.

The only other weaknesses were minor - poor quality plastics and rear cush rubbers, seat padding which was insufficient for my weight - and yes, I'd most definitely by another Chinese bike.

It cost me $500 and I sold it for half that as I had to leave China (for Korea) quickly - best value motorcycling I've ever had.
Is this your blog?
http://farqhuar.blogspot.com.au/2008...an-mighty.html
Old 04-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #26
ararat
Dr. BMW and Mr KTM

Oddometer: 1,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
Yes they will improve with time. Then one day we will wonder where all the Italian, German even Japanese bike went to. We will be riding Great Wall, Lozix, Xonchew and Bangshit.
Prices will be cheep at first then as the other companies disapear the only ones left will start jacking up there prices and bingo. Were f*cked.

Chinnese? Never.

Call me paranoid.
Wait, was that not what the Japanese did?
Old 04-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #27
Doctor
Keyboard Renagade

Oddometer: 7,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by ararat View Post

...funny about that

do you know where i can get a cheap honda 4
Old 04-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #28
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ararat View Post

Yeah, but their bikes were well built and reliable.