Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
BrooklynS OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
My -78 RS

Hi there!

Just before Christmas I found out that Santa decided to reward me for beeing a good guy; thus a 1978 RS took place in my garage. It hadn't been running for about thirteen years, so I of course had to overhaul it. Right now I am thinking about how to copy the restoring thread at a swedish forum, where I have the whole story and quite a lot of pictures too.

Tomorrow morning it is time for MOT, so right now I am a little bit nervous...

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396373115.544173.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  135.4 KB

At the moment I have a problem with leaking carburators, especially the left one. Totally rebuild with new parts, thats the funny thing. Maybe some dirt from the tank that blocked the floater needle?

Since I live in the northern part of Sweden, it is still snow and ice here, but the roads are at least dry.

I'll get back to you soon.
BrooklynS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
BrooklynS OP
Adventurer

Here we go.

About a year ago, I started to think about a R100RS to rebuild and to get in good shape for driving and maybe some touring. I like the original style, since I read about this bike when it was presented 1976 (as my father bought the magazines Motorrad and Motociclismo).

This one I found in the middle of Sweden, it had been stored in a garage (aka barn find) for 13 years without visiting the tarmac so there were a lot to do before it came to running shape. 160.000 km on the tacho so far.

These are pictures from the pickup moment.

Krauser bags, oiltemp and pressure meters are professionally mounted in the fairing. Ohlins shocks also.

The plan is to start it up, get at battery, clean the carbs, rebuild the brakes (they are stucked), change oils etc.

More to come.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
airsmith
airhead wrench?

Oddometer: 138
I have seen small slices of new fuel line from pushing the line onto the carb fitting.. they bounce around above the float needle seat and never drop through into he bowl.. but will stop the needle from seating.. what final drive does your RS have.. my 78 had the taller one that came with U.S. models (felt like a gear taller)..
Old 04-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
BrooklynS OP
Adventurer

Well, now it has landed in our man cave.

[
All rubber parts has to be changed, that's for sure. Brake hoses, gaskets etc.

The best moral-lifting is to start it, so we started with cleaning the carbs and change the gas hoses. A quick check of the front brakes also took place.

The electric system works fine, but the battery was almost dead, so we didn't manage to start it. These bikes need good batteries, that was quite obvious!

BrooklynS screwed with this post 04-01-2014 at 12:01 PM
Old 04-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
BrooklynS OP
Adventurer

My -78 RS

Well, now it has landed in our man cave.

All rubber parts has to be changed, that's for sure. Brake hoses, gaskets etc.

The best moral-lifting is to start it, so we started with cleaning the carbs and change the gas hoses. A quick check of the front brakes also took place.

The electric system works fine, but the battery was almost dead, so we didn't manage to start it. These bikes need good batteries, that was quite obvious!

BrooklynS screwed with this post 04-01-2014 at 12:10 PM
Old 04-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
BrooklynS OP
Adventurer

My -78 RS

Long story short now (since my photo server didn't like the linking)

I'll try to sum up what's done so far:

Carbs rebuilded with all new parts.

Brakes rebuilded with all new parts, new DOT4

New cables to chokes

New cables to throttles
New gas hoses
New fork oil

New gel battery

New screen (which I crushed today... )

Rebuilded alternator and diod board
New fairing gaskets (to fork)

New tires, Michelin Pilot Activ

New brake hoses

New hand warmers (remember where I live...)

Change oil in gearbox to Red Line

New oil in shaft and gearhouse

Fixed the "Piranha" electronic ignition, the cables got stuck in the rotor when tuning the carbs...

BrooklynS screwed with this post 04-02-2014 at 01:17 AM
Old 04-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
BrooklynS OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airsmith View Post
I have seen small slices of new fuel line from pushing the line onto the carb fitting.. they bounce around above the float needle seat and never drop through into he bowl.. but will stop the needle from seating.. what final drive does your RS have.. my 78 had the taller one that came with U.S. models (felt like a gear taller)..
I think I have the 1:3,0 - 11/33, but you could also have 11/32 or 1:2,91 on demand. It really feels like starting on second gear...
Old 04-02-2014, 01:18 AM   #8
BrooklynS OP
Adventurer

My -78 RS

Today it went through the MOT without a problem - legal for the next two years!

BrooklynS screwed with this post 04-02-2014 at 02:00 AM
Old 04-02-2014, 04:53 AM   #9
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,339
You're having too much fun!

Your bike needs its best angle shown here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...639758&page=57
boxerboy81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #10
BrooklynS OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerboy81 View Post
You're having too much fun!

Your bike needs its best angle shown here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...639758&page=57
Since it is still frozen here - still half a meter thick ice on the sea outside - I am not able to drive as much as I want... I don't even have the license yet.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #11
BrooklynS OP
Adventurer

My -78 RS

Yesterday when driving, the bike began to rattle and the left cylinder was really going bad. The vacuum throttle didn't move smooth and appearently there was a lot of crap in the jets. Again. And both carbs was leaking gas...

Today I had to clean the carburators again, since they pissed gas and didn't run well. I begin to feel like an expert now, I've rebuilded these carbs eight times now (on different bikes). When reinstallated, it was time for synchronising. I use this very simple rig:
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396805239.481669.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  189.7 KB

The result was very good. Idling at 950 rpm, almost no vibrations (of course, the common ones), quick response and dry carbs.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #12
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynS View Post
Yesterday when driving, the bike began to rattle and the left cylinder was really going bad. The vacuum throttle didn't move smooth and appearently there was a lot of crap in the jets. Again. And both carbs was leaking gas...

Today I had to clean the carburators again, since they pissed gas and didn't run well. I begin to feel like an expert now, I've rebuilded these carbs eight times now (on different bikes). When reinstallated, it was time for synchronising. I use this very simple rig:
Attachment 315927

The result was very good. Idling at 950 rpm, almost no vibrations (of course, the common ones), quick response and dry carbs.
Sounds like you haven't yet pulled the tank and cleaned out all the crud. Did you pull the pet cocks? Were they full of crud? Shine a light in the bottom of the tank and see what you got. Don't keep recharging rebuilt carbs with continuing crud from the tank. Any bike that sits for more than 2 MONTHS with todays gas should be emptied and cleaned. and pull the bowls and drain the lines. Do as well replace all the fuel lines before remounting the carbs from hopefully their final rebuilt for a good 40k miles. You didn't say you actually did these things so if you did, good on you, and if you didn't, do get too the heart of the issues.

DoktorT screwed with this post 04-06-2014 at 10:25 PM
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:37 PM   #13
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,143
Do like the whole dark blue metallic. US never got that on the RS. In 79 we did get that dark blue in two tone with light silver metallic. That is the one I loved and got a few years ago.

I have never seen the extra instruments installed like that on a US machine. The perimeter rings are unique. Are those a factory install for Euro spec?

A great example to put back in order and enjoy.

Note: you have the original front wheel which was recalled in the US. Any US dealer will replace that for no cost here. Just clean it and inspect very closely for cracks, and see if your local dealer will replace it there as well.

DoktorT screwed with this post 04-06-2014 at 10:56 PM
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:29 AM   #14
BrooklynS OP
Adventurer

If you look at the spokes you'll see that they are reinforced, this is not the first edition wheels. Thank you for mentioning it anyway!

The instruments are extra even in Europe.

I haven't cleaned the tank, but I have extra filters and if course new fuel lines. Will probably clean it anyway. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2014, 11:48 AM   #15
BrooklynS OP
Adventurer

Today I went for a ride again. Only about 35 km, as my alternator won't charge as it should.

After my adjustments the idling is acceptable, isn't it? http://youtu.be/qhbMrSr-j9A

:)