User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
ducmons OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Need Help > 625 SXC real wheel broke

Guys - I can use some direction. Today, while headed out on a ride, cruising on the HWY 65/70mph, all of a sudden....clank and loss of power. Pulled over and here's what I saw. The bike has 1300 miles. I'll be tearing into it, but I need to have an idea as to what may have caused this. Tension on the chain seemed right. It needs a new wheel, what type of wheel should we get? Also - the clutch is messed up. Not sure what all happened today, but when we pull the lever we hear squishy sounds and there was fluid on the ground. I've been doing research on 625sxc's on this forum, but having a hard time, so thought maybe some of you could point me in the right direction, give me advice. Thanks in advance.

Questions we have
* What can cause this?
* What are the symptoms if any?
* What type of wheel is the best?
* What gearing should we do since we have to get sprockets in the rear, may as well re-gear.
* Do we need to open the clutch and inspect?
* Anything else we should keep an eye on?

Old 04-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 17,468
You're in the wrong forum and this post will be moved to a better resource on the site.

Looks like you lost 4 screws on the rear sprocket and the remaining two that were holding gave up from fatigue. See if you can find a used hub and re-lace the rim. I bet a new wheel for that bike is pricey. I had one- it was one of the Dakar Rider Search bikes. That's a pretty complicated machine, but a great one. Good Luck!

Edit to add- I think your rear sprocket is still good. It looks new- I bet when it was replaced, there was a mistake made somewhere in fastening it to the hub. Is the sprocket new?

unaweep screwed with this post 04-01-2014 at 09:15 PM
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
ducmons OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ooops!! I meant to post in the thumpers. Dohh. Sorry about that mods.

Thanks for the response. The sprocket is now bent, so I think its toast. From what I can tell, it's the factory, but with only 1300 miles, its still newish.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,501
the clutch issue sounds like the chain ate the slave cylinder. good times.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:07 AM   #5
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducmons View Post
Easily solved.
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
ducmons OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64 View Post
Easily solved.
Thanks!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:34 AM   #7
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 17,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducmons View Post

Thanks for the response. The sprocket is now bent, so I think its toast. From what I can tell, it's the factory, but with only 1300 miles, its still newish.
There are only 1300 miles on that bike?
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #8
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,074
Chain too tight or it was during the era when they didn't lock tite or have the crimped style sprocket nuts. I had a 2000 620 that did the same thing on the first ride, 4th gear tapped on a MX track!

Any rear KTM wheel will fit from about 94 up at least. Join ktmtalk, you get a decent discount at Munn Racing on KTM parts. I'd just buy a new wheel. That should be cush, right? Replace it with the same. You might be lucky and only broke the cush sprocket carrier.

Used cush ones pop up but few far between.

Sounds like you'll be needing a new slave for the clutch too, hopefully the cases are OK. Do a tear down and inspection before you start buying parts.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #9
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,501
sxc's were not cush I believe.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #10
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,074
Yeah, probably not, I don't think they were even 50 state legal, right?

Anyway, if you don't want the cush, any modern 17, 18 or 19" KTM rear will bolt right on.

As a rule of thumb with a KTM, if someone doesn't point at your chain and tell you it is loose at every gas stop, it is probably too tight.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #11
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
The SXC does not have a cush hub, and this is a serious problem for a big thumper with strong power pulses, when ridden on tarmac. It's quite likely that this contributed to the failure of the hub, I have seen many of them broken, especially on bigger KTM singles.

You can try to find a used 625/640 LC4 cush hub rear wheel but this is getting very hard as they are in high demand, being are a very popular upgrade for all KTM and Husaberg dirt bikes.

If you want a bulletproof solution send it over to Woody and have him rebuild it with an OEM or RAD cush hub.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:22 AM   #12
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post

As a rule of thumb with a KTM, if someone doesn't point at your chain and tell you it is loose at every gas stop, it is probably too tight.

That is a very good rule of thumb, the first thing I do when a new LC 4 owner asks me to check over their bike is to look at the chain, at least 75% of the time I find that they are running it too tight...

For correct slack KTM suggests that you are able to press a full link against the swingarm right at the back of the chain slider and then the section of chain above the swingarm be snug... I use this method but I leave it a little looser so there is a bit of play in the length of chain above the swingarm...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #13
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,221
I went thru two wheels that way with my SXC like stated before combo of too tight of a chain, loose sprocket bolts and a big bore. After the second one I went to a lc4 cush hub and carrier.
PN
58410001544 wheel compete

58310050344 carrier complete

get a steel rear 42-45 sprocket and a 16 front as well as a new chain to top off your change over.

Always keep checking the chain adjustment and keep the sprocket bolts loctited and snug.

Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #14
CollinsB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
Your rear sprocket bolts worked loose. Got to look them over from time to time, and make sure you use Loctite one the new sprocket. Stock gearing is 45/16. Buy steel sprockets they'll wear better than aluminum.
CollinsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #15
ducmons OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
If you want a bulletproof solution send it over to Woody and have him rebuild it with an OEM or RAD cush hub.
Sent him a PM.

ducmons screwed with this post 04-03-2014 at 08:38 AM
ducmons is offline   Reply With Quote