User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
100cccer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Thumb Tour of Honor 2014

On April 1, the seven memorial sites will be released for the biggest state, as well as for the lower 48 and Hawaii. Butch Rudowski, of Anchorage, is the Alaska state sponsor and has written a wonderful page on traveling by motorcycle there. Or renting.

It's still being worked on (we're still searching for the perfect photo), but check it out HERE.

And if you can suggest or contribute a great motorcycle-themed photo, give me a holler.

100cccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
100cccer OP
Adventurer

Thumb Tour of Honor 2014

On April 1, 300 selected destinations will be released in 49 states, including Alaska and Hawaii, to visit up until October 31. This is a self-directed ride to honor American heroes, and a great way to see the country.

It’s a great way to see the country because the sites are spread out in each state, and many feature local motorcycle roads. TOH is a self-directed, AMA Grand Tour ride.

Any rider who visits all seven memorials in any state or “region” will receive a Finisher’s pin and certificate at the end of the year. The ride lends itself to IBA rides with special IBA/TOH certificates for riding to four of the sites on an Iron Butt pace. IBA also gives out “Saddlesore Extreme” certificates for riding to all seven sites in a state. All IBA rules apply.

Also, the 1st three riders to visit all seven sites in a state win a trophy (limit of 3 trophies per rider).

Registration is $75 which buys swag, rally flag, and a donation to the rider’s choice of charity: Fisher House Foundation, American Legion’s Operation Comfort Warriors, or Police and Fire: The Fallen Heroes.

Many riders comment that it’s the best reason they’ve had to ride in a long time, the ultimate “kitchen pass.”

Sites are released on the website at 0001 hours (EST), April 1. Find out more at Tour of Honor.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #3
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,883
First thought was - here we go again, another Hoka Hey rip-off. But looking over the TOH site reveals that this is something I can support. The riders list contains many familiar names, people you won't put something over on. So... looking forward to seeing the list of memorials in order to do some planning. One more good reason for riding.

Spring is just around the corner. (Or so I keep telling myself.)
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:32 AM   #4
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
Spring is just around the corner. (Or so I keep telling myself.)
Did you come down outta hibernation and pay a visit to Glennallen? You have been pretty scarce for a while. Marty Hill and I were chatting about you on Saturday@@
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
100cccer OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
First thought was - here we go again, another Hoka Hey rip-off. But looking over the TOH site.....
No prize money involved! Although there's a slight competitive aspect for the 117 handsome trophies.

It'll be interesting to see who gets the trophies in Alaska. State sponsors aren't eligible for 1st place trophies in their state for 1 week because of their advantage of knowing where the sites are.

Snowmobiles can be substituted! In fact, we'll provide a free t-shirt to whoever provides a photo of snowmobile, rally flag and a memorial. And the snowmobile has to be on the ground. On snow.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
Did you come down outta hibernation and pay a visit to G8345lennallen? You have been pretty scarce for a while.
Dadgum hot weather woke me up early this spring! Imagine - 41° and raining in Slana... IN JANUARY!! fercryinoutloud. But fortunately, winter has returned. 26 below yesterday morning so I know I'm still in Alaska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
Marty Hill and I were chatting about you on Saturday@@
No wonder my ears were burning. Whatever I am being accused of, I have no recollection of doing. I wasn't even there, wherever it was.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
caminante
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
This looks fun. (And perfect for me, seeing as I'm a vet and I'm prepping to do an Iron Butt National Parks Tour this summer.) Thanks for the heads up!

"The trajectory is determined by the traveler, not the path." -- Fred Clark
caminante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
OzarkDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Time period

Can you do this ride over several days/weeks, like visit one today then go for a second one in a couple of weeks and so on?

The seven that I visit have to be all in One state.

Dave
OzarkDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #9
caminante
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Ozark Dave

From what I could tell from the website, so long as you hit seven between April 1 and October 31, you qualify. Not all in one day and based on what they're saying over there, not all in one state. They only way it gets technical is if you want a trophy, in which case you have to be one of the first three to hit all seven in one state. (I'll leave that to others, I just want to finish.)

Cheers

"The trajectory is determined by the traveler, not the path." -- Fred Clark
caminante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
100cccer OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caminante View Post
Ozark Dave

From what I could tell from the website, so long as you hit seven between April 1 and October 31, you qualify. Not all in one day and based on what they're saying over there, not all in one state. They only way it gets technical is if you want a trophy, in which case you have to be one of the first three to hit all seven in one state. (I'll leave that to others, I just want to finish.)

Cheers
Yes, any seven sites in any state will qualify for finisher status. Many riders get hooked and can't just stop at seven. :-)

Also, if you want to do an Iron Butt run while visiting any four memorials, you get a special certificate from Iron Butt Association. And a SS1K-Extreme certificate is awarded if you visit all seven in a state while on an Iron Butt run.

The rules are found here: http://tourofhonor.com/pages/rules.html
Old 02-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #11
OzarkDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
We'll I can't do seven sites in Illinois because I am 40 miles from Ky. No way am I going past Chacago! Maybe I can do seven in Ky. I thought I may get one from s. Il then one from mo one from in and so on. Maybe that's seven in a region like that. Unless that region line is close to me I should be able to do what I said above. I know I can go out as far as St. Louis, I did that in one day. You see I am now disabled vet and only have a dr200. I remember when I had a BMW k1100lt and went all the way to az to see my son, I couldn't even do that in a car now! How things change! Also I am 60 yr old. I never did anything like this, it should be fun.

Dave

Just looked at the site and it says:

2) Visit any 7 memorial sites to receive a finisher’s pin and certificate.

I should have looked at that site.

OzarkDave screwed with this post 02-19-2014 at 07:34 PM
OzarkDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:59 AM   #12
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,073
Sounds like a great opportunity to honor the veterans in my life!
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #13
100cccer OP
Adventurer

Tour of honor 2014

Just one more month until sites are released, and it's quite a lineup this
year in Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah and New Mexico. In total, 49 states and 305 memorials to visit, a great way to see the country!

The Tour of Honor recognizes those groups and individuals who have paid
the ultimate price, or are presently risking their lives, for American life,
liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. A portion of registration fees goes to
Fisher House Foundation, Operation Comfort Warriors (American Legion),
or Police and Fire, The Fallen Heroes. TOH is AMA sanctioned and IBA
approved.

Visit the Tour of Honor website to find out more!

Old 02-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #14
riderjohn
Tag Sniper

Oddometer: 1,600
Sounds really cool.I think I'll do it.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:10 AM   #15
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website: