Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #1
dgmann1100 OP
Will Ride for Food

Oddometer: 55
Thumb Roadmap Grand Tour - Collect 'em, trade 'em...

...send 'em in...

Greetings!

You know, I've been doing these crazy things for more than 8 years now, and I don't think that just because I'm not with the "unnamed national riding association" anymore that I shouldn't be allowed to have some fun, so I'm striking out on my own.

Announcing the First Ever, Non-Annual, Ride-What-U-Brung

Roadmap Grand Tour

Isn't it nice to think back to an earlier time, when men were men, women were smarter, and GPS was but a gleam in a rocket scientist's eye? We used to criss-cross the globe by motorcycle using little more than our wits and paper maps. Ahh, it was a simpler time....

A road atlas is great, but it doesn't fit neatly in a tank bag window. Paper maps are better - you can fold them to fit your tank bag and see everything around your route - not just inside the little window your GPS allows you. Paper maps set you free of the "tiny window on the world syndrome" [(c) TourMaster] and allow you to really plan and ride your route, knowing all the alternatives and what is around you.

These days, not many riders have a full set of maps. Well, I want to help change that. Most states/provinces provide free road maps at visitor's centers. Your assignment is to get on your motorcycle and go get one - or more - and send them to me. When I get a full set of U.S. state roadmaps - Alaska and Hawaii are optional; or a set of ten Canadian provincial maps - territories also optional - I will draw a name at random from the entrants who sent in a map, and they will get the whole shebang.

The Grand Tour will continue as long as I keep receiving maps. As many sets as I get are as many as I will send out. I'll even start the first collection with the Tennessee and Florida maps pictured here: (http://1drv.ms/1gQZgSM ) and add to the sets while I'm out riding. Updates on states/provinces needed to complete sets will be sent out at least once a month.

BONUS!!!

All entries will be eligible to win one Imus Geographics Essential Geography of the USA folded map (value $12.95 plus shipping) and with any luck, some other cool prizes to be named later.
Imus United States roadmap, hailed as the "best American wall map" (see Slate article here: http://tinyurl.com/6pohgq6 ) and available here: http://imusgeographics.com/ is a perfect companion for any rider - I keep one in my bag at all times to keep an eye on the big picture. Plus it just looks amazing.

Disclaimer: Imus Geographics knows nothing about this promotion, and I have no intrest in Imus Geographics - financial or otherwise. They just make a great map.

Full Rules here: http://1drv.ms/QaUb27 or email this guy down here:

Dave Hembroff (aka TourMaster)
dave.hembroff@gmail.com
dgmann1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
Squishymonster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Hey, thats a great idea. I just got my first tank bag and I need a map to stick in it ; ) I'll challenge myself to take back roads to the nearest onramp / rest stop. I'll grab two while Im at it.
Squishymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:31 AM   #3
dgmann1100 OP
Will Ride for Food

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishymonster View Post
Hey, thats a great idea. I just got my first tank bag and I need a map to stick in it ; ) I'll challenge myself to take back roads to the nearest onramp / rest stop. I'll grab two while Im at it.
Seems your ideas are even better:
- new tank bag
- back roads

I look forward to adding your contribution to the collection.

DG
dgmann1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,066
Love the idea.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
Squishymonster
Adventurer

I rode my bike to work today and I'm going to attempt Illinois over lunch. No idea if the rest stop I have in mind has the maps or not. Stay tuned :P
Old 04-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
Squishymonster
Adventurer

Success! Well partially. I suppose it's not official until I mail the map, and since I'm cheap, someone else could beat me to it. But whatevs.

I took a spin over lunch hour, from downtown Champaign, IL, west to the Farmland rest area just west of Farmers City. I took the KLR west on Hwy 150 which runs roughly parallel to I74. The wind was epic. The scenery was dull :) At Farmer City I merged onto the interstate to get the last mile to the stop.

There were no maps on display, but there was a sign to ask an attendant if a printed map was needed, so I did.

I snapped a photo of the rest stop before entering. I thought that would be pointless if it turned out they didn't have maps, but it seemed more "real" than taking it after I had acquire the map. I don't know why :P

I jammed the map, folded into my tank bag for safe transport, and it will be in the mail soon.

Indiana is pretty close to where I live so hopefully someone from over there gets on the ball before I do!