ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
spacekadet OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Sydney, NSW
Oddometer: 223
3x ADV bikes on a trailer?

Howdy, I'm about to take the plunge and buy a new trailer. It's main purpose will be lugging stuff other than bikes, but I do want to be able to do occasional trips with bikes. I'd like to be able to carry 3 big adv bikes as there's three of us that often go together. I'd prefer a multi-purpose or convertible trailer, but I could fabricate sides for a normal bike trailer if I need to.

Questions:

1. Anybody got experience with three big bikes on a trailer? (even a dedicated bike trailer)

2. What size trailer can be used for this? I was thinking 8 x 5 feet, but not sure if that's wide enough. It needs 1 tonne capacity, obviously.

3. Anybody got experience with convertible trailers? (where you can remove the sides).

4. Any photos for reference would be awesome...

cheers
spacekadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs
 
nevgriff64's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia
Oddometer: 13,152
Where's Mouse when you need him?
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Mudgee, Australia
Oddometer: 4,153
Or Outbackwilly for that matter, he had a sweet setup. I'll PM him and see if he'll post a comment
__________________
“Yesterday afternoon I was planning to ride Dakar, this morning I was planning to throw up in my helmet” - Boris Mihailovich
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
Dr AT
(KTM quack)
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: maffra, vic
Oddometer: 1,902
I've got an 8 x 5 that easilly fits 3 x adv bikes.

Basic 8 x 5 box trailer, with both the front / back flaps able to tilt / be removed/ swapped over. ON the front flap there is some angle iron for wheel channels for the 2 side bikes, the rear flap has the same for the middle bike. If carrying one bike I swap the flaps front to back so it's central, and when carrying 3 bikes the centre bike is loaded backwards.

The ends can be removed for use as a ramp (upside down so the channel is underneath )

I originally set it up 10 + years ago for carrying transalp / africa twins, so the channels are placed just wide enough to have the big fat pigs bashplalte NOT rubbing through the side of the trailer..... This is less of an issue with modern bikes (eg KTM 990 / 640 adv etc) - they are slimmer / higher.


If you want a picture then pm me an email adress.
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:59 PM   #5
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs
 
nevgriff64's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia
Oddometer: 13,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekadet View Post
Howdy, I'm about to take the plunge and buy a new trailer. It's main purpose will be lugging stuff other than bikes, but I do want to be able to do occasional trips with bikes. I'd like to be able to carry 3 big adv bikes as there's three of us that often go together. I'd prefer a multi-purpose or convertible trailer, but I could fabricate sides for a normal bike trailer if I need to.

Questions:

1. Anybody got experience with three big bikes on a trailer? (even a dedicated bike trailer)

2. What size trailer can be used for this? I was thinking 8 x 5 feet, but not sure if that's wide enough. It needs 1 tonne capacity, obviously.

3. Anybody got experience with convertible trailers? (where you can remove the sides).

4. Any photos for reference would be awesome...

cheers
IF the Adventure bikes are big, as in KLR650/DR650 or KTM640/950 sizing then an 8X5 box trailer can work. If the Adventure bikes are BIG, as in BMW 1150/1200's, I think it would be very difficult to make them fit.
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:30 PM   #6
timklx400
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: gold coast arse trailer
Oddometer: 28
8x5 trailer

i have an alloy tray off a ute with a chassis & draw bar,
tray size is 8x5, sides can be removed, only drawback is the wheels are under the tray so it is higher to load, wheel base is the same as 6x4 box trailer,many uses, I have a camper that slides on & off,extendable draw bar and bike trailer attatchment to take 3 dirtbikes on the drawbar
timklx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:46 AM   #7
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .
 
Brute's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Oddometer: 1,005
Ive many times fitted 3 adventure bikes on my 7*5 bike trailer . Middle bike has to go on backwards though . I bolt in a front wheel stopper so I can tie the front down . Best bet if you want a smaller trailer is to have the middle bike channel go further forward than the 2 outside channels otherwise the handle bars clash .If you have to run tie downs where they will rub on one of the other bikes be sure to rap a rag & tie it with electrical tape where it will rub . Doesn`t take long to wear through a tie down .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
darren70
Go the Rat
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Hunter Valley
Oddometer: 121
One thing we I've done when its a bit of a squeeze is lean the outside two bikes out slightly to geive a bit more room in the middle.
__________________
I ride a KTM, i'm not a KTM rider...

My 690 Build
darren70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #9
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer
 
Rider 101's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Under a pile of coal dust Upper Hunter NSW
Oddometer: 654
Remember in NSW at least if you exceed 750kg GVM ( trailer plus load ) then you need a minimum of mechanical over-ride brakes. If it is a bogie axle then you have to have brakes regardless.

I am hearing rumours of new design regs that require two safety chains crossed and attached to separate points on your towbar.
__________________
Alcoholno good story starts with salad
Rider 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #10
Toy Rolex
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Oddometer: 116
Measure the depth of the sides, if your footpegs can hang over the sides it will give you more room, if the sides are to high you may need to zip tie the pegs in the up position.

I have a 7'x4' and it is to short for many of the modern bikes but I can get 3 on it, my 8'x5' is perfect and I often throw a DT across the front too, the rail is mounted on top of the box not on the A frame so I still have clearance from the back of my wagon.
__________________
2009 Wee, Pumbaa The Pig
2003 WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
2001 YZ250 smoker with rego, Stinky
Yamaha MT09, The Scud Missile
I'm out of my depth in a carpark puddle.
Toy Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #11
Idratherberiding
my KTM 950 Adventure!
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Wodonga area Vic. Australia.
Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekadet View Post
I'd like to be able to carry 3 big adv bikes
Am I the only one that finds it sad that Adventure Bikes 'need' to be transported?
They are made to be ridden yes?
__________________
Some people try to turn back their odometers.
Not me!
I want people to know why I look like this.
I've travelled a long way,…
~ and most of the roads weren't paved!
Idratherberiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #12
ephphatha
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Bathurst
Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Rolex View Post
I have a 7'x4' and it is to short for many of the modern bikes but I can get 3 on it.
I've found exactly the same thing. A 7x4 trailer will fit three bikes side by side (as long as they aren't too wide) but you run into issues with the wheelbase. I've only used mine to transport my DRZ when it was unregistered and I couldn't properly secure the tailgate.
ephphatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:55 AM   #13
2upAussie990
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Hervey Bay
Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider 101 View Post
Remember in NSW at least if you exceed 750kg GVM ( trailer plus load ) then you need a minimum of mechanical over-ride brakes. If it is a bogie axle then you have to have brakes regardless.

I am hearing rumours of new design regs that require two safety chains crossed and attached to separate points on your towbar.
Not just NSW mate, pretty much every has a 750kg max trailer load unbraked.
Tying a 990 down is not the easiest thing with tie downs either, especially around the bars, foot peg anchor points might make it easier with 3 bikes, will be a big load no matter how you do it.
2upAussie990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:02 AM   #14
Dr AT
(KTM quack)
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: maffra, vic
Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2upAussie990 View Post
Not just NSW mate, pretty much every has a 750kg max trailer load unbraked.
Tying a 990 down is not the easiest thing with tie downs either, especially around the bars, foot peg anchor points might make it easier with 3 bikes, will be a big load no matter how you do it.

Wrap the tie down loops around the fork legs at the lower tripple clamps
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:17 AM   #15
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer
 
Rider 101's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Under a pile of coal dust Upper Hunter NSW
Oddometer: 654
+1 for using the triple clamps. Worked well on my F8 when I bought it.

Hunted around on the net regarding 2 safety chains but ADR's clear that it only applies to trailers over 2.5 tonne ATM.

I first heard of double chains when wife had her float checked for rego at local tyre service. I think they were wrong. Pays to check as much info as possible before making any changes that are allegedly law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr AT View Post
Wrap the tie down loops around the fork legs at the lower tripple clamps
__________________
Alcoholno good story starts with salad
Rider 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014